Re: Is these usages of OWIN possible?

Damian Hickey

Jan 28, 2013, 7:13:29 AM1/28/13
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
Inline

On Sunday, 27 January 2013 13:26:30 UTC, Victor Woo wrote:
Is it possible to write a simple custom Console Application that includes a owin library that can host a Asp.Net Web Application directly (without katana.exe, like CassiniDev's library)?

The difficulty with hosting Asp.Net web apps is that is must be in it's own AppDomain. Supporting separate / multiple AppDomains is not something that katana, as far as I know, is looking to solve at this time. For one thing, the environment dictionary can't be serialized and marshalled across app domain boundaries.

Nonetheless, I made attempt at doing this, just to see if it could be done (F5 CraneCI project) and it worked. I don't know if the approach will work in the long run or with more complicated scenarios.

Is it possible to let an Asp.Net Web Application including MVC 4, Web API, SignalR features hosted across IIS and owin, without / rarely changing code?

Sorry, I don't understand this question.

Chris R

Jan 28, 2013, 9:29:23 AM1/28/13
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
Katana.Boot.AspNet is a prototype that does boot up Asp.Net in its own app domain inside of katana.exe.  Hello World works, but not much beyond that.  There are no plans to further develop this component.

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 04:13:29 -0800
From: dhi...@gmail.com
To: net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Is these usages of OWIN possible?

Damian Hickey

Jan 28, 2013, 11:13:33 AM1/28/13
to net-http-a...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know that. Could have saved me some time. Oh well :)

> There are no plans to further develop this component.

I'd agree with this. If anything, things that work on asp.net, i,e. MVC, should be ported to work on owin. Oh look, there you are Victor..