Neon exhibition in London, Jan 14th...

Nick

Jan 7, 2016, 11:04:19 AM1/7/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
In my day job, I work in the City of London - I just happened to be walking past Bloomberg's offices in Finsbury Square today when something caught my eye - a gallery full of neon being set up!

What's more, the guy doing the setup was someone I know - Richard Wheater of Neon Workshops fame (I was lucky enough to do some hot glass training with him last year - he also made the "People Like Neon" banner on our group homepage). Had a brief chat - he made the neon & other signs for the exhibition, though the actual "artist" is Tim Echells. See http://www.bloombergspace.com/artists/upcoming/tim-etchells/

I've attached a couple of rather poor photos of the setting up - the Bloomberg security guards got rather cross with me as apparently taking photos is not allowed...

The exhibition runs from 14th Jan to 12th March. I'll be going...

Cheers

Nick

IMG_20160107_152405-1280x960.jpg
IMG_20160107_152303-1280x960.jpg

Nick

Jan 10, 2016, 10:53:10 AM1/10/16
to neonixie-l
Should have pointed out that this is all part of a much larger, London-wide, exhibition of light called "Lumiere" running from the 14th to the 17th January - see http://www.visitlondon.com/lumiere/about/what-is-lumiere-london-2016

Quite a lot of neon in there :)

Nick

Nick

Jan 14, 2016, 8:20:34 AM1/14/16
to neonixie-l
Couple of rather poor photos - not allowed to take photos in the exhibition, but can do through the windows...

Huge amount of work to make that lot - couldn't get an image of what's on the floor - some pure neon in there, but mostly Ar-filled/Hg-doped/Phosphor-coated tubes...

Private viewing with the artist & fabricator is tomorrow night... hopefully I'll be allowed to take some proper photos...

Nick

IMG_20160114_130350-1600x1200.jpg
IMG_20160114_130434-1600x1200.jpg

Mike Harrison

Jan 14, 2016, 8:28:12 AM1/14/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Also, Lights of Soho has an exhibition of Chris Bracey's work - I think til end of Jan

lightsofsoho.com

If you're ever anywhere Walthamstow, God's Own Junkyard is worth a visit
http://godsownjunkyard.co.uk/