Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang

patric

Mar 14, 2012, 3:00:51 PM3/14/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

like to share this with you: a tachometer built with Nixies. Still in prototype stage but some nice pictures and videos:

http://www.vinciworx.com/en/projekte/nixie-drehzahlmesser

Enjoy and leave a reply on my page!

cheers Patric

Mich...@aol.com

Mar 14, 2012, 3:32:00 PM3/14/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Very nice.

I can't find the Order Form.  :)

Need it for the 66 Mustang  :)

PS.   The videos, when clicking on them from the page, show that they are "private" videos.  Can't watch them.

Michail

Nicholas Stock

Mar 14, 2012, 3:34:03 PM3/14/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! I should put one in my '68.....

Nick

patric

Nick

Mar 14, 2012, 3:55:16 PM3/14/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Lovely work - small point - there are those here who have made nixie speedos etc. for motorbikes & cars (but not as nice as yours), but most had problems with vibration damaging the nixies and/or their connectors  - nixie is parallel to the road and puts pressure on the pins - over time, springs receptacles weaken, dry joints can occur and the nixie itself can become damaged (cathode mounts fail & cathodes/anode shorts).

It might well be worth fitting anti-vibration mounts internally to the unit...

Nick

Terry S

Mar 14, 2012, 4:04:50 PM3/14/12
to neonixie-l
Very nice. Why not pick up the data off the vehicle OBD connector?

Terry

Terry S

Mar 14, 2012, 4:05:28 PM3/14/12
to neonixie-l
Oh never mind .. '67 Mustang. No OBD connector.
> > cheers Patric- Hide quoted text -

Ryan McDonald

Mar 14, 2012, 8:45:11 PM3/14/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You sir, ROCK.

> --
> "neonixie-l" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/neonixie-l/-/raKIO2X_ku0J.

J Forbes

Mar 14, 2012, 11:58:32 PM3/14/12
to neonixie-l
This is a really neat thing. I've been wanting a Nixie display to use
in at least one of my old cars for a long time, but never got up the
ambition to make one. Recently I discovered the fun of connecting a
MegaSquirt EFI controller to an old car to use only for data
logging....of course it could be modified to drive a Nixie display, or
just borrow the input circuitry and programming to make whatever kind
of custom dashboard you want.

A single 4 digit display, with a large rotary switch to select which
parameter to display, might look appropriately old fashioned for a
1950s car.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Dennis

Mar 15, 2012, 12:40:04 AM3/15/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Really great stuff Patric. The soft glow at night will be terrific.