JetBrains hired a bunch of Nemerle developers?

Mark Haniford

Jun 23, 2012, 1:41:44 PM6/23/12
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I heard that JetBrains hired some Nemerle developers. Anybody know
what's going on there? Are we going to get killer VS support for
Nemerle?

Vitaliy Parinov

Jun 24, 2012, 6:17:48 AM6/24/12
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Translated from: N2 и JetBrains by DonReba.

It is no longer news that JetBrains has taken the project under its wing. So, I will simply comment on the situation to avoid rumours and hearsay.

JetBrains now has a team for developing technologies stemming from Nemerle.

Most resources will be focused on the N2 project.
N2 is a language framework with the goal of making language and DSL development as simple as possible.

Anticipating your next question, "what does this have to do with Nemerle?" — I reply: Nemerle is the main development tool for N2. N2, in turn, will be a development tool for a new version of Nemerle, one without all the problems of the current one and having truly high-quality IDE support. But you have to understand that N2 and Nemerle are not one and the same. It is also too early and difficult to say anything specific about future versions of Nemerle.

It will look like this: several programmers will work on N2 full time. N2 will be integrated with ReSharper, so that all languages built with it will automatically get full IDE support and the ability to create custom refactorings.

There is still much work ahead, but now it will be done by a dedicated staff on salary.

In the end, we should get a production-quality product with now analogues on the market.

By the way, this does not preclude the community from contributing to the project, as before. We have not yet hashed out all the details, but I think that at least for now, a part of the code will remain open and we will keep accepting pull requests from contributors. And, the most talented community members will become priority candidates for new positions.

Mark Haniford

Jun 24, 2012, 12:16:43 PM6/24/12
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vitaliy. That makes a lot of sense from a JetBrains business
perspective. I hope the current Nemerle and its addin will get some
love too while we wait for the N2 version of Nemerle. I think Nemerle
with financial backing from a company like JetBrains will be a hit in
the dotnet community :)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Vitaliy Parinov <xtre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Translated from: N2 и JetBrains by DonReba.
>>

>> It is no longer news that JetBrains has taken the project under its wing.
>> So, I will simply comment on the situation to avoid rumours and hearsay.
>>
>> JetBrains now has a team for developing technologies stemming from
>> Nemerle.
>>
>> Most resources will be focused on the N2 project.
>> N2 is a language framework with the goal of making language and DSL
>> development as simple as possible.
>>
>> Anticipating your next question, "what does this have to do with Nemerle?"
>> -- I reply: Nemerle is the main development tool for N2. N2, in turn, will be
>> a development tool for a new version of Nemerle, one without all the
>> problems of the current one and having truly high-quality IDE support. But
>> you have to understand that N2 and Nemerle are not one and the same. It is
>> also too early and difficult to say anything specific about future versions
>> of Nemerle.
>>
>> It will look like this: several programmers will work on N2 full time. N2
>> will be integrated with ReSharper, so that all languages built with it will
>> automatically get full IDE support and the ability to create custom
>> refactorings.
>>
>> There is still much work ahead, but now it will be done by a dedicated
>> staff on salary.
>>
>> In the end, we should get a production-quality product with now analogues
>> on the market.
>>
>> By the way, this does not preclude the community from contributing to the
>> project, as before. We have not yet hashed out all the details, but I think
>> that at least for now, a part of the code will remain open and we will keep
>> accepting pull requests from contributors. And, the most talented community
>> members will become priority candidates for new positions.
>
> --
> nemerle-en Google Group, try http://groups.google.com/group/nemerle-en

dben...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 1:17:16 PM1/28/13
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Will Nemerle 2 be free? I know resharper is commercial, and that tools will cost money, but I want to know if the language itself (sans resharper) will still be free?

NN

Jan 29, 2013, 4:08:24 AM1/29/13
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
As I understand the compiler will be free.

Mark Haniford

Jan 29, 2013, 6:27:32 PM1/29/13
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious if there's been any developments for the Visual Studio plugin?  I'd love to pay for a high quality Nemerle plugin

nemerle-en Google Group, try http://groups.google.com/group/nemerle-en

NN

Jan 30, 2013, 4:50:03 AM1/30/13
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Sure, but this , as I understand, will cost money.
Like you have with other languages.

You have free C# compiler but you must pay for IDE.

Mark Haniford

Feb 2, 2013, 7:00:34 PM2/2/13
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm willing to pay money for the IDE integration.  What I would propose is to just bundle it into Resharper and give the user the option to install it.  Resharper is such a big part of the C#/VS ecosystem that at least Jetbrains could somewhat justify the development of a kick-ass Nemerle addin by bundling it.

I'm still a bit envious of the JVM ecosystem when it comes to languages.  F# is alright, but I would prefer something like Nemerle.

My $0.02