Meet-up at Captain J's on 7/21

r_me...@hotmail.com

Jun 11, 2013, 8:14:34 PM6/11/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
We're looking at setting up a meet-up on Sunday July 21st, time TBD.  Captain J's is on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh and has a very good traditional Chinese menu.

Terry Grunwald

Jun 11, 2013, 11:10:40 PM6/11/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Excellent,  As long as we are around, we're in.

On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:14 PM, r_me...@hotmail.com wrote:

We're looking at setting up a meet-up on Sunday July 21st, time TBD.  Captain J's is on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh and has a very good traditional Chinese menu.

Kari Winter

Jun 12, 2013, 5:23:01 AM6/12/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Kind of early for us to know too.

Meredith L. Norris

Jun 12, 2013, 9:57:28 PM6/12/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hello - hope everyone is well! Not sure if we will be in town that
far out from now (summer is kind of an iffy time), but we'd love to
see everyone if we are here! Bon appétit!

Meredith (Tehama on Chowhound)

ps - Happy Father's Day to all the daddys out there!

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM, <r_me...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> We're looking at setting up a meet-up on Sunday July 21st, time TBD. Captain J's is on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh and has a very good traditional Chinese menu.

Kevin Yen

Jun 20, 2013, 4:35:57 PM6/20/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all!

My name is Kevin Yen. I was the the one that mentioned Captain J's on chowhound and yelp.

According to one of my friends who dined there last night, the head chef comes from 66 Lu's Seafood in downtown flushing. Some of you might know/have dined at that restaurant and according to my dad, that restaurant is one of the best in the area. So now we've got a rare opportunity to have a truly authentic Chinese restaurant in Raleigh and I really would like all of you to enjoy while it lasts. Just like Asian Grill in the past, quality would start to degrade once the financial trouble kicks in. Chefs would have to find ways to cut corners and cutting corners equals inferior food.

I understand summer could be a bad time for everyone but I'd be greatly appreciated if y'all could reserve the july 21st evening for some Captain J's.

Thanks!

Burgeoningfoodie

Jun 20, 2013, 5:11:54 PM6/20/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Not familiar with that particular restaurant but am fairly well read on the authentic cuisine that comes out of flushing in general including dim sum. Wonder if the restaurant is planning a gradual conversion as that would be awesome.

rory kirshner

Jun 20, 2013, 6:24:45 PM6/20/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Wow, now I'd love to go!  but I have no car, would anyone be able to give my dad and me a lift, we live in Carrboro/Chapel Hill.
claudia (chowhound rory)

Jul 9, 2013, 12:27:06 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Sounds intriguing.  I'm in.

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 9, 2013, 1:28:13 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I am still unsure. Did we give a time?  Can someone post a photo of menu ahead of time?

r_me...@hotmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 2:24:48 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Lets set a time of 6 pm,  Don't have a menu to post but you can check out some of Keven's photos on chow and yelp for an idea of what they have.

Kevin Yen

Jul 9, 2013, 3:03:06 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently trapped in the biltmore estate...

I will try to type up a database when I get back to the cabin tonight.

I know I've been preaching quite a bit about the authentic Chinese stuff. Now I'd like to update y'all about the buffet...

Now the head buffet chef is the one from the ye olde crystal palace.  I had a long chat with him couple weeks ago and he told me he would start "changing things up" and serve more crystal palace-esque Chinese buffet food.

Anyway lets start doing the head count so that I can talk to Jerry and the chefs ASAP.

Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2013, at 2:24 PM, r_me...@hotmail.com wrote:

Lets set a time of 6 pm,  Don't have a menu to post but you can check out some of Keven's photos on chow and yelp for an idea of what they have.

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 9, 2013, 3:13:10 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Can someone enlighten me on crystal palace?  I think this place would be a hit if they do a good dim sum brunch.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NC Triangle Chowhounds" group.

Kevin Yen

Jul 9, 2013, 3:19:37 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Crystal palace was closed.  They were great until the "foo-zhou" peeps opened up the hibachi buffets with cheaper price and lower quality/mass quantity food.  One of the owners got sick so they "changed" to capital buffet but didn't work too well.

If you want dimsum, Hong Kong in Durham would be the place to go followed by dimsum house in morrisville.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 9, 2013, 3:23:06 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I have been to both dim sum house and  neo Asia. I was speaking for people in Raleigh it would be closer.

I don't recall ever hearing about crystal palace.

Kari Winter

Jul 9, 2013, 3:53:07 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Wish we could make it, but we'll have family in town, one of whom is
very picky and not an adventurous eater. Hope it is a great time.
cheers,
kari (LulusMom)

At 03:03 PM 7/9/2013, you wrote:
>I'm currently trapped in the biltmore estate...
>
>I will try to type up a database when I get back to the cabin tonight.
>
>I know I've been preaching quite a bit about the authentic Chinese
>stuff. Now I'd like to update y'all about the buffet...
>
>Now the head buffet chef is the one from the ye olde crystal
>palace. I had a long chat with him couple weeks ago and he told me
>he would start "changing things up" and serve more crystal
>palace-esque Chinese buffet food.
>
>Anyway lets start doing the head count so that I can talk to Jerry
>and the chefs ASAP.
>
>Thanks
>Kevin
>

>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Jul 9, 2013, at 2:24 PM,
><mailto:r_me...@hotmail.com>r_me...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Lets set a time of 6 pm, Don't have a menu to post but you can
>>check out some of Keven's photos on chow and yelp for an idea of
>>what they have.
>>
>>--

Kevin Yen

Jul 9, 2013, 3:58:05 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
They have a regular buffet too so you could have the buffet stuff while trying out some new stuff

Sent from my iPhone
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/nc-triangle-chowhounds/a4s7X-t8V4c/unsubscribe.

Kari Winter

Jul 9, 2013, 4:13:28 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
That is very sweet of you, but I dont' really want to take family to a buffet.
cheers,
kari
>For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Terry Grunwald

Jul 9, 2013, 4:28:14 PM7/9/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  We're in and we plan to invite friends.  Will let you know how many soon.

On Jul 9, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Kevin Yen <bansh...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NC Triangle Chowhounds" group.

Kevin Yen

Jul 10, 2013, 1:07:23 AM7/10/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
hey i just found couple of menu pics i took a few weeks ago...

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:14:34 PM UTC-4, r_me...@hotmail.com wrote:
photo (1) (956x1280).jpg
photo (956x1280).jpg

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 10, 2013, 7:17:39 AM7/10/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Mmmmm preserve egg and tofu.

<photo (1) (956x1280).jpg>
<photo (956x1280).jpg>

Terry Grunwald

Jul 10, 2013, 3:57:28 PM7/10/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Two friends will be joining us on the 21st.

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 10, 2013, 4:07:50 PM7/10/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for 1. I may have an addition but I haven't cleared it with him yet.

romansperson

Jul 13, 2013, 9:58:08 PM7/13/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
You can put us down for 2 on the 21st as well.

Nancy (romansperson)

On Jul 10, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Terry Grunwald <tgru...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Two friends will be joining us on the 21st.

On Jul 10, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Kevin Yen <bansh...@gmail.com> wrote:

hey i just found couple of menu pics i took a few weeks ago...

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:14:34 PM UTC-4, r_me...@hotmail.com wrote:
We're looking at setting up a meet-up on Sunday July 21st, time TBD.  Captain J's is on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh and has a very good traditional Chinese menu.

<photo (1) (956x1280).jpg><photo (956x1280).jpg>

Kevin Yen

Jul 14, 2013, 6:33:09 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
hey ya'll!

i spoke to jerry this afternoon and made a reservation for next sunday evening at 6pm.  i didn't tell him the exact amount of people so i'd like to set a deadline this thursday so i could let him know friday.

so far the headcount:
1. me
2. bob and family (3)
3. tom from raleigh
4. terry g (exactly how many?)
5. burgeoningfoodie (2?)
6. romansperson (2)
7. meatn3
8. Janice

anyone else?

i have attached the menu with the items unavailable.  there is also a new item: beef and scallion pancake roll.  it's kinda the same as the one you get at taipei 101 in cary.
capj1.pdf
capj3.pdf

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 14, 2013, 6:50:21 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
What do the asterisk mean?

<capj1.pdf>
<capj3.pdf>

Kevin Yen

Jul 14, 2013, 6:54:53 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Asterisk means the items are served cold (cold dish).

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "NC Triangle Chowhounds" group.

Andrea Weigl

Jul 14, 2013, 9:21:25 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I would like to join you guys. I would have a 2-year-old in tow

Sent from my iPhone
Please excuse typos
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nc-triangle-chowh...@googlegroups.com.

<capj1.pdf>
<capj3.pdf>

Terry Grunwald

Jul 14, 2013, 9:39:47 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
We're 4

<capj1.pdf><capj3.pdf>

Kevin Yen

Jul 14, 2013, 9:55:51 PM7/14/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
1. me
2. bob and family (3)
3. tom from raleigh
4. terry g (4)

5. burgeoningfoodie (2?)
6. romansperson (2)
7. meatn3
8. Janice
9. Andrea (2)

Kevin Yen

Jul 15, 2013, 6:57:49 PM7/15/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all!

Check out this video if you'd like to order XLB this Sunday:

http://youtu.be/QbMwT3pLP3c

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 15, 2013, 7:27:25 PM7/15/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I'd try everything unless I can get it at gourmet kingdom :-)

Kevin Yen

Jul 15, 2013, 10:19:13 PM7/15/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
behold... Preserved Egg with Tofu

My dad warned me that it would be extremely salty when i told him that i would be ordering that tonight and he was right.  To learn more about the preserved egg, please visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Taiwanese Sausage.  Bascially Lap cheong with Garlic
Finally the new item: Scallion Pancakes with Beef

On Jul 15, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Kevin Yen <bansh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey y'all!
>
> Check out this video if you'd like to order XLB this Sunday:
>
> http://youtu.be/QbMwT3pLP3c

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 16, 2013, 6:57:22 AM7/16/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I have had preserved egg by itself. If that is same as 1000 yr old egg. It is an acquired taste (like bitter melon is) but still more palatable than durian for me.

r_me...@hotmail.com

Jul 16, 2013, 10:16:14 AM7/16/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
We are now going to be a total of 6, 4 adults and two children.  Since the group is now over 20 would it make sense to prearrange a banquet menu?

Dinersaurus

Jul 16, 2013, 10:22:31 AM7/16/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
We (2) would like to join in too if we still can. Thanks!

Jason and Meredith (dinersaurus)

Kevin Yen

Jul 16, 2013, 4:44:35 PM7/16/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
1. me
2. bob and family and friends (6)

3. tom from raleigh
4. terry g (4)
5. burgeoningfoodie (2?)
6. romansperson (2)
7. meatn3
8. Janice
9. Andrea (2)
10. Dinersaurus (2)

Ok we've reached 22 including myself. (Wow!)

Before I go talk to Jerry, anyone here on this list have food allergies, restriction on certain meats or anything that I/Jerry have to be aware of?

Kari Winter

Jul 16, 2013, 8:11:46 PM7/16/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com, lisa Brachman
My friend Lisa (some of you may remember her from a Gourmet Kingdom
trip) may be interested in joining you all on Sunday. She needs to
check and make sure it is doable. She isn't part of this group so I'm
cc'ing her here and adding the link to the Chowhound thread:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/904788
cheers,
Kari (LulusMom)

Kevin Yen

Jul 17, 2013, 9:45:56 AM7/17/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all, I'm gonna go to talk to Jerry today/tomorrow to setup a banquet menu. Here's what I'm thinking:

Seafood Soup (U04)
XLB (S01)
Split Open Dumplings (S02)
Scallion Pancakes with Beef (new item)
Bamboo Shoots with chili oil (S15) cold dish
Spicy Sesame Chicken (S26) cold dish
Stir Fried String Beans (V03)
Tea Infused Duck (P05)
Pork Belly with Garlic Sauce (K09)
Chicken Stir Fried Noodles (N11)
Red Bean Pastry (S07) and Fruits

I hope that's enough (more than) for all of us...

Terry Grunwald

Jul 17, 2013, 10:36:19 AM7/17/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Maybe 3 more -- Chinese people. Is it OK, Ken?

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 17, 2013, 1:47:55 PM7/17/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
There may be other items some of us would like to try like the sausage or who knows.

r_me...@hotmail.com

Jul 17, 2013, 3:39:02 PM7/17/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
So what are the other items you would want?

Kari Winter

Jul 18, 2013, 5:21:09 AM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Just to let you know that my friend Lisa will not be able to make it.

cheers,
Kari
> send an email to nc-triangle-chowh...@googlegroups.com.
> > For more options, visit
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Kevin Yen

Jul 18, 2013, 3:02:24 PM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all!

Thank you all for signing up! I appreciate all of your responses and I'm looking forward to meet and enjoy great food with you all this Sunday. Here's the head count:

1. me
2. bob and family and friends (6)
3. tom from raleigh
4. terry g (4)

5. burgeoningfoodie (2)

6. romansperson (2)
7. meatn3
8. Janice
9. Andrea (2)
10. Dinersaurus (2)

Since there are approximately 22 of us I have reserved 4 round tables with 6 chairs each. High chairs are avaliable for the young'ins.

Here's the menu:

1. XLB
2. Split open Potstickers
3. Scallion Pancakes with Beef
4. Bamboo Shoots with Chili Oil (Cold)
5. Spicy Beef and Tripe (Cold)
6. Eggplant with Garlic Sauce (Cold)
7. Spicy Cabbage (Cold)
8. Tea Infused Smoked Duck
9. Pork Belly with Garlic Sauce
10. Szechuan Stir Fried Green Beans
11. Shanghai Stir Fried Noodles with Beef
12. Red Bean (Azuki Beans) Pastry

You may order additional stuff but I think there should be enough/more than enough food for everyone.

Cost would be in the ball park of $20-25 per person after tax and gratuity. Drinks cost $1.50. They accept Visa and MasterCard but Cash is preferred.

Please contact me if you have any questions. THANKS AGAIN!

Terry Grunwald

Jul 18, 2013, 7:03:27 PM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. Most of the fun in previous outings was sharing a big table together. Breaking us up into 4 very separate groups will really limit our interaction. Is a long table - or at least 2 long tables out of the question? Really like to hear what others think of each dish.

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 18, 2013, 8:03:46 PM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I am of the mind that ya can't have everything and it is easier to move around with the multi tables. The restaurant knows what will work best. In either case, look forward to seeing everyone. Hoping I won't burn my mouth on xlb

r_me...@hotmail.com

Jul 18, 2013, 8:27:29 PM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
The choice was the four round tables or two long very narrow tables that would have not have given us a better chance to interact and would have made sharing food more difficult.  The four tables will be in a row and we will be able to interact with each other.

Terry Grunwald

Jul 18, 2013, 10:41:29 PM7/18/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you have really thought this through.  Look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.

Burgeoningfoodie

Jul 21, 2013, 3:57:49 PM7/21/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Ill be flying solo but what's one person?