Re: [nativelibs4java] Nvidia compatibility problem in javacl-1.0.0-RC3-shaded

Olivier Chafik

Mar 12, 2013, 10:41:48 AM3/12/13
to nativel...@googlegroups.com
Hi William,

Thanks a lot for reporting and diagnosing this!

I've just filed a bug, hope to fix it and upload a new snapshot tonight:

Cheers

2013/3/12 William Shipman <shipman...@gmail.com>
Hi Olivier,

I just made the move from javacl-1.0-SNAPSHOT-20120722 to using javacl-1.0.0-RC3-shaded and have found a problem on Nvidia hardware, specifically a GTX 480.  The JVM will crash after a few seconds, with the resulting error log showing that the method com.nativelibs4java.opencl.CLDevice.clear calls com.nativelibs4java.opencl.library.OpenCLLibrary.clReleaseDevice.  Since the GTX 480 only supports OpenCL 1.1, it does not provide a clReleaseDevice function.  Nvidia does not yet support OpenCL 1.2, so this problem probably occurs on all Nvidia devices.

If I use the AMD Radeon HD 5850 installed in the same machine, then I don't have any problems.  Not surprising since it supports OpenCL 1.2.  I didn't have this issue with javacl-1.0-SNAPSHOT-20120722.  Perhaps the code should have a check in it that parses the string returned by CLPlatform.getVersion?

Thanks.

Austin McElroy

Apr 2, 2014, 2:32:25 PM4/2/14
to nativel...@googlegroups.com, olivier...@gmail.com
Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but having a similar issue.  I've got an Intel i7-3820 with an NVIDIA GTX 680 and the same problem is happening using the 1.0.0-RC3.  I've uninstalled the AMD OpenCL Platform and the NVIDIA platform and am forcing JavaCL to use the CPU with JavaCL.getBestDevice(CLPlatform.DeviceFeature.CPU).  The platform ID and name of the device are reporting correctly as Intel.

Attached is the log for the Intel CPU, though it happened for the NVIDIA as well.

Outstanding job on the project, by the way.  Porting an imaging system over from C++ to Java and this makes it a breeze!

Austin

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:29:23 AM UTC-5, William Shipman wrote:
Hi Olivier,

I've just downloaded and tested javacl-1.0-20130312.234522-62-shaded.jar.  My apps are working fine with this version.  Thanks for fixing the bug so quickly.

William.

On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 18:31:32 UTC+2, William Shipman wrote:
Thanks Olivier, much appreciated.
hs_err_pid3828.log

William Shipman

Apr 4, 2014, 9:54:55 AM4/4/14
to nativel...@googlegroups.com, olivier...@gmail.com
Hi Austin,

You can find the latest JAR files on the Sonatype OSS repository.  The latest one is https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/com/nativelibs4java/javacl/1.0-SNAPSHOT/javacl-1.0-20140201.004111-74-sources.jar.  Olivier puts the most up to date JAR files in the 1.0-SNAPSHOT folder at the moment.

Good luck.

Austin McElroy

Apr 7, 2014, 5:29:06 PM4/7/14
to nativel...@googlegroups.com, olivier...@gmail.com
Hey William,

This may be a dumb question, but how on earth did you find that?  I've tried searching through Maven and the code.google website and can't find anything later than the RC3 2013 build.  I'm not familiar with Sonatype OSS, but the search tool doesn't yield that as a result.

Thanks!
Austin

William Shipman

Apr 8, 2014, 11:55:28 AM4/8/14
to nativel...@googlegroups.com, Olivier Chafik
Hi Austin,

I was just lucky.  I stumbled upon it last year while trying to resolve this problem.  I think Olivier had mentioned (perhaps it was an announcement somewhere, can't remember now) that he had released a snapshot on Sonatype OSS that fixed this bug.  There weren't any links or anything so I searched through the JavaCL project pages until finding https://code.google.com/p/javacl/wiki/Usage which gives part of the URL under the section for using JavaCL in a project with Maven.

Regards,
William.