Nanode Classic & Arduino IDE sketch upload

MarkH

Jun 26, 2012, 10:29:53 AM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I wonder if someone can help me.  I'm totally new to the Nanode / Arduino. :-)

I'm trying to upload my sketch code and I get the following error no matter what board I select in the IDE

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

         Using Port                    : \\.\COM5
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv: . [00]
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Other post have I have read seem to indicate I need to set a particular board type.  I'm using Arduino IDE 1.0.1 which lists the following boards with the ATmega328 chip.

Duemilanove, Nano, BT, Lilypad, Pro, Mini

Which one do I select as none seem to be able to write to the Nanode???

My Nanode is powered on and the red light is flashing.

Mark

Ken Boak

Jun 26, 2012, 1:18:26 PM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Nanode currently uses the earlier Duemillenove bootloader - as used up until Arduino IDE 0023.

It is NOT compatible with Nanode 1.0 or the Uno bootloader

If you want this compatibility you need to replace the ATmega328 with one that has been programmed with the new Uno bootloader.

These parts are available from CoolComponents and other vendors.

Or you can install Arduino IDE 0023 - to continue to use the existing IC

Hope this helps

Ken

MarkH

Jun 26, 2012, 2:36:29 PM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response.  I've now installed IDE 0023 and I still get the following error.

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32

         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         System wide configuration file is "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\arduino\arduino-0023\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

         Using Port            : \\.\COM5
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr

avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Mark

Ken Boak

Jun 26, 2012, 2:44:59 PM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Mark

Make sure you select Arduino Duemillenove w/ ATmega328 from the drop down board menu.

Other than that - are you using either a FTDI USB to serial cable - or the Nanode serial adaptor board to connect?

Are you using MAC or PC?

This will help us diagnose your difficulties more easily.

regards

Ken

MarkH

Jun 26, 2012, 4:06:06 PM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

I had Arduino Duemillenove w/ ATmega328  selected.

I'm using a FTDI adaptor and drivers from the Nanode website.

I'm using Windows XP as administrator.

Mark

Jon Bartlett

Jun 26, 2012, 4:36:16 PM6/26/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com

Mark,

I have a Nanode classic and older Nanode v5.  Both work fine for me on the Arduino v1.0 and v0.23 (I haven't upgraded to 1.01 yet though).

My board type is set to "Duemilanove w/ATMeg 328".  Ive not changed the bootloaders as shipped.  You'll need to restart the IDE after changing this (I think )

Ive had occasional problems like 'not in sync' you describe - but usually this comes about if I interrupt the compilation and upload process before its finished.  exiting the IDE and restarting it resolves it in my case though.  Have you any other software that may be polling this com port ?

Ive also had problems when attempting to run the IDE from a network share - so I keep copies local to each machine (mainly Win7 and XP) where I use them.  Only my Libraries and sketch folder are on the network share.

I would check obvious stuff like have you got the ftdi cable attached to the Nanode header the right way round; and does the serial monitor work (I can't remember if you'll see anything with a 'blank' device though).

Are you sure the serial port is correct, and you've got the correct ftdi drivers.  Ive also had a problem where the ftdi adapter was duff - it would power the Nanode, and the light on the adapter would work - but no 'bing bong' when plugged into the PC - even though (I think I am remembering rightly) the IDE would 'see' the COm port in the list of serial ports.  i suspect this was v. rare - but if you can try a different connector it may help in your process of elimination.

Good luck !

Jon.

rw950431

Jun 27, 2012, 1:49:28 AM6/27/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Mark/
   I'm using a cheap 4-wire (+5v,Gnd,TxD,RxD) FTDI adapter from Ebay and find that the timing of pressing and releasing the reset button on the Nanode is very critical- too soon or too late and you get the dreaded "not in sync" error.

I find best success with

-Press and hold down reset button on Nanode
-Click the "Upload" button on Arduino IDE
-When the "Compile finished, code size xxxx bytes" message appears release the button.

My FTDI adapter has little LED's on the Tx and Rx lines:  on successfully upload I see a couple of flashes of both LEDS then the TxD LED glows brightly for a few seconds while the code uploads followed by a bit longer session where the RxD LED glows brightly (presumably when its reading the code back to verify)

Jon Bartlett

Jun 27, 2012, 4:43:13 AM6/27/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com

Mark - this raises a good point - some FTDI cables dont need the reset button held down...(mine dont)

Luis Correia

Jun 27, 2012, 4:48:22 AM6/27/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Those FTDI cables have a fifth wire that connects to RESET.

I've made such a cable out of a standard USB-RS232 adapter, by
removing the actual RS232 chip and rewire everything, and adding a
0.1uF capacitor from DTS (I think) to the RESET connector.

I may find time to document this hack.

Luis Correia

MarkH

Jun 27, 2012, 12:42:51 PM6/27/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thank you for the assistance so far.  I've tried real serial port (NOT USB)  today which I know works and I still get the same error. Anyone have any other suggestions. ?

Mark

Ken Boak

Jun 27, 2012, 1:25:02 PM6/27/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you have NOT fitted the 100nF capacitor closest to pin 1 of the ATmega328.

If this is fitted it will prevent the RTS line from resetting the ATmega immediately before it programs the device.

Try manual reset - as soon as you get the code size message.  If this fails - then check your board carefully to ensure continuity between The Tx and Rx pins on the ATmega and their corresponding pins on the FTDI header.

If you are getting Tx, Rx, 0V and RTS - then it will program.

Ken

alco

Jun 28, 2012, 9:25:58 AM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
I've wrote an topic on openenergymonitor.org with the same problem:
http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/746

Used an cheap ebay CP2102 usb adapter. turns out that the PCB labels are WRONG. RXD=TXD and TXD=RXD. Also the RST pin isn't an DTR reset but just an fysical USB chip reset.
You can get an DTR reset, but you have to ad another header pin.

Ken Boak

Jun 28, 2012, 12:06:50 PM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
That's why Nanode Ltd. had a CP2102 USB adaptor custom made - so that the 6 pins are in the same place as the FTDI cable and RST is a genuine RTS reset.

A bargain at £6

Ken

MarkH

Jun 28, 2012, 3:58:30 PM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting to believe its the CP2102 adaptor from Nanode.  Can anyone tell if the CP2102 should have a blob of solder over three of the chip legs at one corner??

Mark

Nigel Worsley

Jun 28, 2012, 4:23:39 PM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
> Can anyone tell if the CP2102 should have a blob of solder over three of the chip legs
> at one corner??

That rather depend on which corner. One corner will have a dot in it and the pins are numbered
anticlockwise from there. It would be reasonable for pins 1, 2 and 3 to be conected together,
but not any of the others. Pins 13 to 22 are 'no connect' but that doesn't mean that they can be
connected together as some of them will have use for factory test and I would expect all of them
to be unused outputs in normal use.

Nigle

MarkH

Jun 28, 2012, 4:28:05 PM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the quick reply.  It looks to me, from what you said, pins 22,23,24 are all joined together.

Mark

Nigel Worsley

Jun 28, 2012, 5:10:35 PM6/28/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
> It looks to me, from what you said, pins 22,23,24 are all joined together.

That is the RTS pin, the CTS pin and one of the 'no connect' pins, doesn't look
at all right to me!

Nigle

cwr

Jun 29, 2012, 1:47:42 PM6/29/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Checking the pins on the Nanode adapter I have, they are all clean soldered;
 so at a guess that's the problem.  I had some difficulty with a Nanode-supplied _cable_, which didn't connect, but the adapter itself works fine.  If you use another adapter, note that the Nanode adapter pinout is exactly reversed from the Arduino pinout - at least the Arduino Ethernet.

Will