How to set up auto-sync for MLO Cloud on Windows -- Easy!

Josh P.

Feb 20, 2012, 10:21:44 PM2/20/12
to MyLifeOrganized
The pain was finally too great and I had a few spare moments so I
figured out how to set up auto-sync for MLO Cloud on Windows and it
turned out to be quite simple. I'm syncing to 4 devices now including
a Windows 7 laptop, iPod Touch, Motorola Droid 3, and an HP Touchpad
running Cyanogenmod 9 Android ICS. That's a lot of manual syncing and
a real pain to be honest. Especially when you leave home and forgot to
sync the laptop. Doh!

Here's how to do it cleanly without windows being generated and
without dialog boxes coming up in MLO when you're trying to work.

1) Create two text files and locate them in a folder of your choice.
One called MLO_Sync.txt and one called MLO_Sync_hide.txt. One will be
a batch file to fire off the sync and the other will be a very basic
visual basic script that launches the batch file in a hidden mode so
that you don't have a window popping up each time the sync runs. Don't
worry i'm not a programmer and this was real simple. We'll add the
proper extensions after adding the text to the files and saving them.

2) Open MLO_Sync.txt and add the following line. The installation path
and path to your MLO data file may be different than listed here.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MyLifeOrganized.net\MLO\mlo.exe" "C:\<data
path folder location>\MLODataFile.ml" -quicksync -console

Save the file and change the extension to .cmd

3) Open MLO_Sync_hide.txt and add the following lines. Again the
location of your MLO installation may be different or custom so you
will need to double-check this.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\<batch file location>\MLO_Sync.cmd" &
Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

Save the file and change the extension to .vbs

4) Open the Windows Task Scheduler. Click on Start and type "Task".
Launch Task Scheduler.

5) i) In the Task Scheduler application right click on "Task
Scheduler (Local)" in the left pane and select Create Basic Task....
ii) Add a name of your choice for the task (such as MLO Cloud
Sync) and click on Next.
iii) For Task Trigger select "When I log on" and click on Next.
iv) For Action select "Start a program" and click on Next.
v) Navigate to the folder with your two scripts, select
MLO_Sync_hide.vbs and click on Next.
iv) Check the box that states "Open the Properties dialog for
this task when I click Finish" and click on Finish.

6) When the Properties dialog window comes up select the Triggers tab,
select your name trigger in the window below and click on Edit....
Below under advanced setting you can set up how often you would like
MLO to sync with the cloud service. Repeat task every: # of
minutes. Hit OK and exit all applications.

7) Log out of Windows and log back in.

Voila, now MLO will automagically sink without you every having to
think about it. Well worth the few minutes it takes to set up.

All the best,
Josh P.

Dwight

Feb 21, 2012, 11:26:12 PM2/21/12
to MyLifeOrganized
Thanks, Josh. Just one question.

What's the purpose of the .vbs script?

Asked another way, why is the program started by task scheduler
MLO_Sync_hide.vbs
as opposed to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MyLifeOrganized.net\MLO\mlo.exe" "C:\<data
path folder location>\MLODataFile.ml" -quicksync -console
?

Josh P.

Feb 28, 2012, 11:41:03 PM2/28/12
to MyLifeOrganized
The simple VBS script is used to hide the command prompt window when
it runs. That way it is completely silent and unobtrusive. You can
skip this step if desired.

gkoliver

Feb 29, 2012, 12:27:23 AM2/29/12
to MyLifeOrganized
That's awesome! Took 5 minutes to set up, and will save me lots of
angst! Can you create this same function for iOS? :D

kitus

Feb 29, 2012, 5:27:31 PM2/29/12
to MyLifeOrganized
I'm against fumbling around with OS tweaks that should be already
incorporated inside MLO... Feature implementations in MLO mean such a
big lead time usually...

gkoliver

Feb 29, 2012, 9:58:09 PM2/29/12
to MyLifeOrganized
I sense a theme in your comments :) You want the organic MLO to do
everything now... and that would be GREAT! However, it's a pretty
awesome product, and although there is lots of competetion, there is
nothing that has many of the capabilities I'm seeing in my testing.
But if you wait for a product to do everything, version 1.0 takes
years to get out, and it's solely the developer's best guess rather
than an interative process with feedback from users. So I like the way
he's put it out... true incremental changes based on user
requirements, vs trying to wait for the whole banana before he
releases half a banana.

And I'm sort of amused that you called the code above an "OS tweak"...
a command line call, one line of script, and a scheduled task is
pretty tough to call an "OS tweak". The iOS version that I joked about
might be an OS tweak, but the solution given above is about as far
from an OS tweak as you can get... it's using the OS capabilities.

So I again congratulate Josh on developing a solution to an annoyance.
I'm certain they will develop their own solution, as this seems to be
a continually evolving program, but in the meantime, I'll take the "OS
tweak" and run! And if anyone else has any "OS tweaks" to make this
product even more useful while the developers are working on 4.0,
please share!

gko

Dwight

Mar 1, 2012, 5:38:35 PM3/1/12
to MyLifeOrganized
I've been running a version of autosync under Windows 7 that's pretty
similar to what Josh documented but a little simpler - instead of
the .vbs file I just entered the MLO command as the program to be
started by the task scheduler. Josh reported that the purpose of
the .vbs is to hide the command prompt window - but I'm happy to
report that even without the .vbs I never see the command prompt
window. The scheduled task does its job and goes quietly away and the
only way to know that it has happened is to look at the
File>Synchronize window and see that last synch was a couple of
minutes ago.

There is one problem, though. Every once in a while I get a message
that my profile file could not be opened. I think this happens because
of some sort of conflict between the scheduled task versus the copy of
MLO that I am actively using at the time. When I try to make the
message go away I get four or five error messages about bad pointers
and whatnot. I have been unable to get out of this situation using any
normal procedures.

The only solution (other than rebooting) is to fire up the task
manager and terminate the two active MLO processes then restart one.
The scheduled task starts up by itself at the end of the hour. This is
messy but totally livable, however when Andrey implements autosync for
Windows I would expect this problem to go away as the sync and the
normal MLO usage will presumably be two threads within a single
process and therefore less likely to conflict.

gkoliver

Mar 1, 2012, 6:55:55 PM3/1/12
to MyLifeOrganized
:) That's what's great about working with a program smart people
use... they find multiple ways to remove a feline epidermis...

I didn't even think about putting the command line straight into the
task scheduler... that will save someone some steps. Apparently I
haven't run into actively using the file when it's trying to sync...
yet. Let me know if you find a workaround for that, until 4.0 comes
out, which I'm sure will have the autosync feature.

I'm really loving this product, though... infinite nesting just
ROCKS... means that I can jot down ideas, then break them down into
actionable tasks at my convenience. I don't have to analyze in
advance, which makes me much more likely to get those thoughts out of
my head.

gko

BOC

Mar 3, 2012, 2:59:52 PM3/3/12
to MyLifeOrganized
Just wanted to say thanks to the OP! I'm going to take advantage of
this unit MLO4 comes out.

Chris Adaline

Mar 4, 2012, 6:33:50 AM3/4/12
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
The command line box will only pop up if the scheduled task is running under the same credentials you're logged in with.

Danny Clark

Jul 29, 2013, 12:34:16 PM7/29/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com, m...@grantsmiths.org
The below bit about "error messages about bad pointers" sounded bad, or at least annoying and scary, so I made a simple AutoHotKey - http://www.autohotkey.com/ - script to do the same thing. It uses the GUI, e.g. it's like someone very quickly takes control of your mouse and keyboard for about a second, opens the MLO window, and presses F9. It'd probably be easy to then have it put focus back on the original window, but that is left as an exercise for the reader, as I'm using it on an EC2 VM dedicated to syncing so that bit doesn't bother me :->

You'll need to replace the string "mlo.ml" with the name of your MLO data file, and update the "Run" line for the path to your mlo.exe file.

BTW anyone from MLO - what is the most often one can cloudsync to MLO and still be considered a "good citizen"?

#Persistent
#SingleInstance force

Loop
{
    IfWinExist mlo.ml - MyLifeOrganized
    {
        WinActivate
        Send {F9} ; Force a cloud sync.
    }
    else
    {
        Run C:\Users\Danny\Dropbox\Todo\MLO\mlo.exe
        WinWait mlo.ml - MyLifeOrganized
        WinActivate
        Send {F9} ; Force a cloud sync.
    }
        Sleep 540000 ; Wait 9 minutes.
}

Dwight

Jul 30, 2013, 2:31:19 PM7/30/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Danny,

Just to be clear, my post you quoted below was about MLO3. Since MLO 4 I have not felt the need for any help with managing, scheduling or triggering synch cycles; I just let MLO take care of it and it works to my satisfaction.

-Dwight

Danny Clark

Jul 30, 2013, 2:47:12 PM7/30/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, this was before I figured out that I had to do weird things to Windows to get it to do stuff after I disconnected from an RDP session... so perhaps if I turn this off it'll still work. Thanks.