Computed-score priority and due dates

Christoph Zwerschke

Mar 26, 2014, 1:20:45 PM3/26/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
In principle, I really like the idea behind the "computed-score
priority" feature.

However, the way how due dates are factored into the computed score
seems wrong to me.

When I set a due date in the future (maybe next week), then the computed
score gets a negative contribution. When the due date is set in the past
(overdue task), then the score gets a positive contribution (and there
is an option to boost that even more). So far, so good.

However, when I set NO due date at all, then there is no contribution.
So this means that such tasks have higher priority than tasks with a due
date. Why should a task with no due date have higher priority than a
task due tomorrow? When I set no due date then this means for me "I have
no fixed date when to finish this task, it may be done any time". The
tasks that are due tomorrow should always have higher priority.

-- Christoph

Terry Longo

Apr 11, 2014, 4:26:34 PM4/11/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christoph,

The approach use is to make sure the views I use to see a prioritized list exclude tasks that have no DueDate defined.

Terry
Message has been deleted

Leonardo

Jul 16, 2014, 9:28:53 PM7/16/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Can you do that in the mobile edition?

Dwight Arthur

Jul 16, 2014, 10:49:27 PM7/16/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Leonardo. It depends on which mobile platform you are on.
-Dwight
Mlo betazoid on Android sgn2

David Jade

Jul 18, 2014, 4:58:00 PM7/18/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree and it seems worst than just having items with no due dates get boosted above items with due dates. Having a start dates can also negatively affect items unless they are significantly in the past (i.e. start more than 1 week ago).

It seems really wrong to me that items with no due dates get prioritized over items that have a due date and/or a start date of today. I have this exact issue with a task today - the lead time starts today and it is due in 1 week so I need to start working on it however, it is at the bottom of my active actions with a few dozen tasks with no due or start dates above it. It won't start getting boosted for several more days as the start date doesn't seem to really boost it until about a week has gone by. I shouldn't have to mess with the priority of these tasks without dates just to get them lower in the active actions list (nor should I have to exclude them from the view).

What I ideally want is for items that have a start date of today or earlier to always be above items that have no start date. Items with due dates should similarly be ordered above items without due dates as to me, setting dates means that then are naturally higher priority than tasks without dates. I will concede that this gets sticky when due dates are far into the future but I can control this by using future start dates to lower their priority.

David