Pick Magazines going to recycle unless ..

Henry Keultjes

May 4, 2012, 9:01:45 AM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
someone steps up to get them or pay for shipping from 44902.   These include the great majority of any Pick magazines ever published,  Total probably 200-300 pounts neatly packed in banana boxes and will be strapped or banded for shipping, whatever is required.  All or none because I need to get out of this facility.  I do not have room to where I am going nor the time to sort through them before I move.

I also will be recycling lots of components like HDD 8 inch HDD's , tape drives and such, several ADDS towers that have/had native Mentor on them and a whole bunch of OKI equipment. .  If you are looking for something let me know.  I have no interest in listing this on eBay so if it does not go via this list it will all go to recycle where I get cash on the spot.

I also will be selling three or four ADDS 2000 machines but would be willing to donate, fob 44902,  to a legitimate cause

Henry Keultjes lastnameatearthlinkdotnet

Scott Ballinger

May 4, 2012, 11:57:31 AM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hello Henry,

I am willing to pay for shipping of the printed materials, if someone else is willing to accept and store them. Hopefully that someone could also arrange to scan/digitize them and post to the the PickWiki or some other suitable site (I might be willing to help offset some of those costs as well).

So, can anyone help Henry and me out here?

/Scott Ballinger
206 713 6006

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 12:03:46 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
There would be copyright issues with scanning and posting.
However someone could *index* the issues, there's no copyright about that.
Of course if you got permission to scan and post that would be different.

Steven Davies-Morris

May 4, 2012, 1:27:14 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 05/04/2012 09:03 AM, Wjhonson wrote:
> There would be copyright issues with scanning and posting. However
> someone could *index* the issues, there's no copyright about that. Of
> course if you got permission to scan and post that would be
> different.

Judging by what I recall about the MV magazines I had just about all of
the publishers of said magazines are defunct. I doubt very much if
anyone will squawk if they are scanned and put onto the PickWiki site as
a community resource. I don't imagine it will take long to ID who those
publishers are and either get permission or not as the case may be.

I concur that it would be a very good idea to get this done for archive
reasons.

Scott, Henry: I'll be more than willing to put $20 up towards shipping
if it means that these are going to be scanned into a central online
accessible repository for the benefit of the community.
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 1:33:06 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
International Spectrum is not defunct
DBTA is not defunct
They are both still publishing

Of whom were you thinking?

May 4, 2012, 1:39:57 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
I'm not sure what a banana box is, but what would be the dimensions of such storage?

This sounds like a long process to scan all of them - The best (rather read easiest/quickest) method to scan would be to cut the binding and
   drop them into an auto sheet reader (duplex) -> PDF

I'd be willing to do scanning with the intention it might take a few months , depending on how much storage space is going to be needed,
   I might be able to house them as well.

George

Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:57:31 -0700
From: scott.b...@gmail.com
To: mvd...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [mvdbms] Re: Pick Magazines going to recycle unless ..

Steven Davies-Morris

May 4, 2012, 2:40:17 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 05/04/2012 10:33 AM, Wjhonson wrote:
> International Spectrum is not defunct
> DBTA is not defunct
> They are both still publishing
> Of whom were you thinking?

I no longer have most of the MV publications I used to receive --
recycled a couple of hundred of them a few years ago except for the Pick
User Digest (kept for sentimental reasons). So I can't remember the
exact names. However I don't mean scan and share those that are still
being published, only those that are now history. I suppose they could
all be scanned anyway, if someone was willing to get it done. And only
those that are dead dodos be added to PickWiki. Things like the old Pick
Systems magazine should be easy enough to ask permission about. Pick
World, which changed its name to something else. Other magazines might
be harder to find out. i.e. the tech publication about Prime Information
that was put out by a 3rd party (name escapes me). Access magazine out
of the UK, etc. I can picture some of them but just can't recall the
names, sorry.

Kevin Powick

May 4, 2012, 2:44:07 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 4 May 2012 13:27:14 UTC-4, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

Judging by what I recall about the MV magazines I had just about all of
the publishers of said magazines are defunct.

Defunct or not, somebody holds the copyright and it is likely still valid.  Though I would probably go ahead with posting and if someone complains, deal with it at that time.  After all, that's exactly how Google handles copyright.

Having said that.  I question the value of the effort.  Other than nostalgia, what real value is there going to be in a bunch of tech articles from the 80's and 90's? Especially since the scanned contents will just be images of which the text will not be indexed for searching.

Regards,

--
Kevin Powick

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 2:47:18 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Datamation

still in publication

"overfulnoisecascade" prog-ambient-tribal-space CD coming soon

the "Pick and MultiValue Databases" group.
To post, email to: mvd...@googlegroups.com

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 2:49:48 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 3:08:26 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

George Gallen

May 4, 2012, 3:11:47 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
then why aren't bankers shipped in banker's boxes?

To: mvd...@googlegroups.com
From: wjho...@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:08:26 -0400

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 3:16:47 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
No one will pay the freight for a banker

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 3:33:36 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, George Gallen wrote:

> I'm not sure what a banana box is, but what would be the dimensions of
> such storage? This sounds like a long process to scan all of them - The
> best (rather read easiest/quickest) method to scan would be to cut the
> binding and drop them into an auto sheet reader (duplex) -> PDF I'd be
> willing to do scanning with the intention it might take a few months ,
> depending on how much storage space is going to be needed, I might be
> able to house them as well. George Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:57:31 -0700

That's exactly how you do it George. :) Staples & Office Depot have a
neat machine that can be used to cleanly slice the binding from stacks of
magazines at once. That's how I did it for the issues of Profiles
magazine I scanned for retroarchive.org.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]

Bob Rasmussen

May 4, 2012, 3:47:14 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
Gene,

I'd be interested in exactly what product you are referring to for slicing
off spines. Can you provide a web link, please?
> --

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
fax: (US) 503-624-0760
web: http://www.anzio.com
street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
Portland, OR 97223 USA

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 3:43:20 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, George Gallen wrote:

> then why aren't bankers shipped in banker's boxes?

Because the process of packing a banker into a banker's box isn't classed
as justifiable homicide. Yet.

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 3:53:57 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, Bob Rasmussen wrote:

> Gene,
>
> I'd be interested in exactly what product you are referring to for slicing
> off spines. Can you provide a web link, please?

Bob, it's not a machine they sell but a service they offer. If you hit
your local store, I'm sure they'll tell you the vendor & model number of
the machine.

Bob Rasmussen

May 4, 2012, 4:17:13 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, Gene Buckle wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2012, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > Gene,
> >
> > I'd be interested in exactly what product you are referring to for slicing
> > off spines. Can you provide a web link, please?
> >
> Bob, it's not a machine they sell but a service they offer. If you hit your
> local store, I'm sure they'll tell you the vendor & model number of the
> machine.

OK, I am aware of the service, for which they generally use a commercial
quality paper trimmer. I had thought you might have identified an
inexpensive alternative.

George Gallen

May 4, 2012, 4:27:03 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
I was thinking something like putting a small stack in a press of some kind,
  with the binding just sticking out maybe a 1/4".

Then start running a utility knife down a few times to trim off the edge.

Trim about 3 or 4 issues at a shot.

Fairly inexpensive to setup.

I also thought about a taller stack, and running a circular saw across them,
  but I don't think the cut would be as clean and might jam up the scanning
  mechanism.

George

> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:17:13 -0700
> From: r...@anzio.com
> To: mvd...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: RE: [mvdbms] Re: Pick Magazines going to recycle unless ..

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 4:52:38 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, Bob Rasmussen wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2012, Gene Buckle wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 4 May 2012, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>>
>>> Gene,
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in exactly what product you are referring to for slicing
>>> off spines. Can you provide a web link, please?
>>>
>> Bob, it's not a machine they sell but a service they offer. If you hit your
>> local store, I'm sure they'll tell you the vendor & model number of the
>> machine.
>
> OK, I am aware of the service, for which they generally use a commercial
> quality paper trimmer. I had thought you might have identified an
> inexpensive alternative.

I wish. I'm still trying to find a PCB shear that won't leave me eating
Top Ramen for the month. :)

Gene Buckle

May 4, 2012, 4:54:53 PM5/4/12
to MVDMBS LIST
On Fri, 4 May 2012, George Gallen wrote:

> I was thinking something like putting a small stack in a press of some
> kind, with the binding just sticking out maybe a 1/4". Then start
> running a utility knife down a few times to trim off the edge. Trim
> about 3 or 4 issues at a shot. Fairly inexpensive to setup. I also
> thought about a taller stack, and running a circular saw across them,
> but I don't think the cut would be as clean and might jam up the
> scanning mechanism. George

I've tried de-spining books on a table saw before. Even with a new,
high-tooth count blade, you still don't get a clean edge. The shears are
the best way to do it.

jes

May 4, 2012, 5:15:11 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
If this collection should happen to go to the dust bin, be advised it is not the only one in existence.

I personally stored my entire collection of every Pick publication for their entire existence, less the last dozen years of Spectrum, which I don't receive.

Not only does it include every one HK mentioned, but also some bizarre and rare pieces from some of the badly-dressed psychopaths who found refuge in the Pick culture. I can't recall the guy's name now, but it includes his hand-printed and tape-bound newsletters addressing Pick things, along with brilliant little callout boxes with such items as "Cyndi Lauper is God". Somebody has to remember this guy. Maybe Dave Ramette?

What's more, my collection also includes a comprehensive press clipping collection of every article even obliquely related to the Pick space for the period from about 1980 to the mid 1990's.

The entire collection is safely stored away in about a dozen banker boxes in Southern California in the hands of one who recognizes that it could never again be reassembled.

And as the final owner/publisher of the Pick User Digest, I would not object to the entire collection being scanned for posterity, so there you have at least one formal permission.

One poster suggested that simply scanning them would not in fact turn it into text. If they were put into the great EverNote app, this would not be true. It renders the text in graphic images, making it searchable. Plus, it would be an excellent way of organizing the collection.

I personally agree that this should be digitized as a labor of love for the future historians, but I am not willing to underwrite the cost of it alone. Maybe it needs a Pickstarter project.

j.

Wjhonson

May 4, 2012, 5:20:36 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

<<less the last dozen years of Spectrum, which I don't receive.>>

Why not?

jes

May 4, 2012, 6:07:30 PM5/4/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
My collection stops around 2000, when I joined and sold some of the JES assets to Pick Systems (Raining Tiger).

When I left in August 2001, they asked me if I wanted the media collection. I salvaged it, so they would not simply dump it.

Rob Allen

May 8, 2012, 8:21:15 PM5/8/12
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I wrote most of the contents of a newsletter called Database Communicator, which was put out by the Association of Pick Professionals, the NY-NJ area Pick user group in the 80s. I'm completely in favor of this material being scanned and made available as a community resource.

Rob