[ANN]: mvTalk - A Slack.com Community for MVDB Users, Developers, and Vendors

Kevin Powick

Mar 29, 2015, 8:27:25 PM3/29/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to invite everyone in the MV community to mvTalk, a slack.com account I have set up for MV users, developers, and vendors.

Slack offers one-on-one messaging, private groups, persistent chat rooms, direct messaging as well as group chats organized by topic.  All content inside Slack is searchable from one search box. Slack's main website: http://slack.com

mvTalk is not a replacement for this existing newsgroup or other communities such as FOSS4MV.  It's more of a real-time conversation application where users, developers and vendors can "chat" about their MV interests, problems, and developments.

Get your invitation here: http://bit.ly/1yqQDIK

Feel free to forward this information to friends and colleagues in the MV world.

Talk to you soon!

--
Kevin Powick

Bruce Holt

Mar 30, 2015, 10:38:56 AM3/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Kind of like iRC for us old fogeys?

Respectfully yours,

______________________________________
Bruce A Holt
MCP, MCSA, MCSE, Network+
Rocket Software Certified UniVerse DBA

Software Engineer
Rocket Software

Kevin Powick

Mar 30, 2015, 10:54:09 AM3/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 30 March 2015 10:38:56 UTC-4, Bruce Holt wrote:
Kind of like iRC for us old fogeys?

Yes, but IRC on steroids. :).  You can have full posts, upload files, code snippets, etc.  And it's all searchable from a single "search" box.

It could be a good place for support, live Q&A, vendor feedback, etc.

--
Kevin Powick

frosty

Mar 30, 2015, 2:21:42 PM3/30/15

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 8:54:09 AM UTC-6, Kevin Powick wrote:
Yes, but IRC on steroids. :).  You can have full posts, upload files, code snippets, etc.  And it's all searchable from a single "search" box.

It could be a good place for support, live Q&A, vendor feedback, etc.

Slack is the best app with the worst name. Has nice Mac and iPhone versions. Can't speak to PC or android.

--
frosty

Kevin Powick

Mar 30, 2015, 3:58:14 PM3/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 30 March 2015 14:21:42 UTC-4, frosty wrote:

Slack is the best app with the worst name. Has nice Mac and iPhone versions. Can't speak to PC or android.

Yeah, the name doesn't convey "productivity", which is its primary purpose within organizations.

Agreed on the client apps.  I have it on Android and my Mac.  I just leave it running off to the side and watch for relevant conversations to join, or start my own.

Slack has really taken off.  I'm on three different company teams, plus strictly social ones like mvTalk

--
Kevin Powick

Anthonys Lists

Mar 30, 2015, 5:30:32 PM3/30/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 30/03/2015 19:21, frosty wrote:
> Slack is the best app with the worst name. Has nice Mac and iPhone
> versions. Can't speak to PC or android.

Not even Slackware? Shame on it!

Cheers,
Wol
Message has been deleted

Kevin Powick

Mar 31, 2015, 4:04:05 PM3/31/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Invites for mvTalk have been sent to everyone that signed-up.

If anyone didn't get theirs within 24hrs of signing-up, let me know.  Make sure to check your spam folder first. ;)

--
Kevin Powick

Tony Gravagno

Apr 2, 2015, 12:58:55 PM4/2/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
That's a great community resource. Thanks for setting it up, Kevin!

I think when some people think about "talk" mechanisms they move directly toward "chatty". I've never been in a business group that suffered from over chattiness. That includes Skype, where most of my clients and daily collaborators have accounts, but no one is ever chatty. We all have work to do and everyone respects the medium. The difference between Skype and Slack is that any message that gets posted is broadcast to everyone who has requested notification, so I think people will be especially cautious about abuse and respectful of others. And those who don't want active notifications can just turn it off. But what separates this medium from a forum is precisely the active mode - turning off notifications kinda defeats the point. So I think everyone will find that happy middle-ground between "I'd like to exchange info asynchronously and I don't care about if or when I get a response" (a bit like email) and "I'm really hoping anyone online will be willing to respond to this".

Personally, I'd like to use this as a way to post odd notes about what I'm working on, in the hope that it will be of interest to others. Of course I'd like to see similar notes from others. This isn't practical for a forum. And Kevin, as I think about it, I don't think the #general channel is appropriate for this either. In #general people will probably not want to be bothered with random thoughts like "Integrated QM with MySQL", "enhanced PO print with barcodes", "having fun building an adhoc query processor", or "just requested enhancement to Eval processor for D3". Or maybe that's exactly what #general should be for, while #help is for people who just want to offer and request help?

Best,

Kevin Powick

Apr 2, 2015, 1:35:59 PM4/2/15
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, 2 April 2015 12:58:55 UTC-4, Tony Gravagno wrote:

 And Kevin, as I think about it, I don't think the #general channel is appropriate for this either. In #general people will probably not want to be bothered with random thoughts like "Integrated QM with MySQL", "enhanced PO print with barcodes", "having fun building an adhoc query processor", or "just requested enhancement to Eval processor for D3". Or maybe that's exactly what #general should be for, while #help is for people who just want to offer and request help?

The # General channel is for general discussion about MV.  If you're looking for assistance or need a technical question answered, that would probably best be done in the # Help channel.  I think you can post almost anything to general if related to MV, unless there is clearly a more appropriate channel.

It's early, so we'll see how the community shapes up.  If certain topics become dominant, they may require their own channel, but channel proliferation is something I would like to avoid.

There has been pretty good uptake so far.  Over 50 people have requested an invite and over 40 are now signed-up.  Now they just need to log on. ;)

--
Kevin Powick