Feature request: on-demand individual software installs

as...@siprep.org

Sep 3, 2015, 4:00:34 PM9/3/15
to munki-dev
I didn't want to list this as an issue on the GitHub project, because it's not really a bug... more of a feature request.

Sometimes I get users asking me to walk them through installing an item using Managed Software Center, but then it comes up that they have some other updates backed up (that require a reboot).

Is there an option (that perhaps I'm not seeing) to just install that one item for now and save the rest for later?

And, if not, is that something Greg (or anyone else working actively on Munki releases) might consider for a future release?

(I'm very grateful for this tool, so definitely not complaining. Munki is absolutely amazing!)

Gregory Neagle

Sep 3, 2015, 4:47:19 PM9/3/15
to munk...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 1:00 PM, as...@siprep.org wrote:
>
> I didn't want to list this as an issue on the GitHub project, because it's not really a bug... more of a feature request.
>
> Sometimes I get users asking me to walk them through installing an item using Managed Software Center, but then it comes up that they have some other updates backed up (that require a reboot).
>
> Is there an option (that perhaps I'm not seeing) to just install that one item for now and save the rest for later?

No.

> And, if not, is that something Greg (or anyone else working actively on Munki releases) might consider for a future release?

Not currently.

I prefer the “carrot and stick” approach. You. Mr. User want to install Foo. (Carrot). To get your carrot, you must also install these other updates. (Stick)

-Greg

> (I'm very grateful for this tool, so definitely not complaining. Munki is absolutely amazing!)

as...@siprep.org

Sep 3, 2015, 5:17:58 PM9/3/15
to munki-dev
Thanks!