When are we getting a new release?

Robert Dailey

Sep 29, 2014, 12:49:46 PM9/29/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com
We've been stuck at v1.9.4 for a while, and even though I can compile msysgit myself (I'm actually running msysgit 2.1.0 right now because i did build it myself), I don't particularly prefer it as simply an end-user.

Most people might respond to this by saying "just build it from source" or "why not get off your ass and make a release for us?". But that's not my domain nor do I have the time for it (even though I'd love to, trust me, I have a big passion for git in general).

I'm simply asking in a non-pushy way about why we don't have a release of 2.1.1 yet. I see that Cygwin is actively keeping up with releases. It's at 2.1.1 right now. But I don't use it because it doesn't handle CRLF line endings and also seems to have some performance problems (I guess because it has to go through some POSIX emulation of some sort to work on windows, like everything else in cygwin. But I'm not sure how it works).

Any updates are appreciated (even though I know you guys probably get annoyed with update requests).

Thomas Braun

Sep 29, 2014, 1:03:14 PM9/29/14
to Robert Dailey, msy...@googlegroups.com
The reason is that we have decided to basically mark msysgit as EOL and
instead put all our effort in its successor
http://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk. The new sdk will allow us to keep
the toolchain and bundled programs more up to date.

This is of course unfortunate for end users who rely on new features in
git 2.0/2.1.

I'm sorry that I can not give an ETA when we have the first release with
the new sdk.

Thomas

Robert Dailey

Sep 29, 2014, 1:06:44 PM9/29/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, rcda...@gmail.com
Thanks for such a fast response! I really appreciate this information. Wow, it's really surprising. To hear that msysgit is EOL.

Does this mean that other vendors/communities will be responsible for releasing environments for git and you guys will just focus on the middleware portion? So the next usable git for Windows may not be in the form of msysgit? So it might be something like msys + git SDK or something?

Is there a discussion on this movement I can read to get answers to my questions? I'd hate to have you repeat yourself when I'm sure this is documented somewhere. Thanks again!!

Torsten Bögershausen

Sep 29, 2014, 3:18:50 PM9/29/14
to Robert Dailey, msy...@googlegroups.com

>.... because it doesn't handle CRLF line endings
You can use either
core.autocrlf
http://git-htmldocs.googlecode.com/git/git-config.html

or (my recommendation) use attributes:
http://git-htmldocs.googlecode.com/git/gitattributes.html

Since which version did Git under cygwin stop to support CRLF ?

Robert Dailey

Sep 29, 2014, 3:44:10 PM9/29/14
to Torsten Bögershausen, msysGit
​Let me clarify. My .gitattributes has the following:

​* text=auto
*.sh eol=lf
*.mk eol=lf

I do NOT explicitly set core.autocrlf in my .gitconfig.

When I do a fresh clone using cygwin's git (v2.1.1), all files have LF, even C++ files (*.h, *.cpp). When I use the same .gitconfig and .gitattributes through msysgit, all files have CRLF by default except for (obviously) *.sh and *.mk files.

Can you explain this difference in behavior? I always assumed that because cygwin+git is emulated POSIX, that it would have no concept of CRLF as far as defaults are concerned (which is mostly what I'm opting for here, based on my setup). I expect the line endings to be chosen per platform and cygwin would have no way of telling git that it is running on Windows, since it's emulated, AFAIK.

Thomas Braun

Sep 29, 2014, 5:56:38 PM9/29/14
to Robert Dailey, msy...@googlegroups.com
Sure! Actuall "msysgit being EOL" was my own wording, but as we work on
a full replacment for msysgit and don't want to put anymore work into
it, this boils down to that.

> Does this mean that other vendors/communities will be responsible for
> releasing environments for git and you guys will just focus on the
> middleware portion? So the next usable git for Windows may not be in the
> form of msysgit? So it might be something like msys + git SDK or something?
>
> Is there a discussion on this movement I can read to get answers to my
> questions? I'd hate to have you repeat yourself when I'm sure this is
> documented somewhere. Thanks again!!

To make it short, we are replacing msysgit with something more
maintanable. More info can be found at
https://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk.

Torsten Bögershausen

Sep 30, 2014, 6:15:57 AM9/30/14
to Robert Dailey, Torsten Bögershausen, msysGit
On 2014-09-29 21.44, Robert Dailey wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Torsten Bögershausen <tbo...@web.de <mailto:tbo...@web.de>>wrote:
>

> >.... because it doesn't handle CRLF line endings
> You can use either
> core.autocrlf
> http://git-htmldocs.googlecode.com/git/git-config.html
>
> or (my recommendation) use attributes:
> http://git-htmldocs.googlecode.com/git/gitattributes.html
>
> Since which version did Git under cygwin stop to support CRLF ?
>

> ​Let me clarify. My .gitattributes has the following:
>
> ​* text=auto
> *.sh eol=lf
> *.mk eol=lf
>
> I do NOT explicitly set core.autocrlf in my .gitconfig.
>
> When I do a fresh clone using cygwin's git (v2.1.1), all files have LF, even C++ files (*.h, *.cpp).

This is expected.
>When I use the same .gitconfig and .gitattributes through msysgit,

>all files have CRLF by default except for (obviously) *.sh and *.mk files.

And this is expected, too.
The (native) line endings for text files in msysgit is CRLF, and this is what you get.

> Can you explain this difference in behavior?

> I always assumed that because cygwin+git is emulated POSIX, that it would have no concept of CRLF as far as defaults are concerned (which is mostly what I'm opting for here, based on my setup). I expect the line endings to be chosen per platform and cygwin would have no way of telling git that it is running on Windows, since it's emulated, AFAIK.

This has nothing to do with POSIX -
the line endings for "text" files are CRLF under msysgit, and LF everywhere else (including Git under cygwin)

So if you want to access the same repo on your c: drive under both msysgit and Git under cygwin,
you can teak it be setting
core.eol crlf

pkoni...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2014, 4:48:43 AM10/9/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, rcda...@gmail.com
Did you consider contacting git interfaces developers that use msysgit as git client for support?
As far as I know these are all windows clients, many of them commercial. Maybe they can chip in more than we - users:

- SourceTree client

rupert thurner

Oct 21, 2014, 2:42:24 AM10/21/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, rcda...@gmail.com
It would be nice if the git sdk installer would not reuiqre admin rights (as the msysgit installer does not) and there would be cancel button during the installation.

rupert

Thomas Braun

Oct 21, 2014, 7:37:51 AM10/21/14
to rupert thurner, msy...@googlegroups.com, rcda...@gmail.com
> <http://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk>. The new sdk will allow us
> <https://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk>.
>
> It would be nice if the git sdk installer would not reuiqre admin rights
> (as the msysgit installer does not) and there would be cancel button
> during the installation.

(this is no issue tracker)

We have a portable git package, which you can just unzip into any folder
you like. And it does also not require admin rights.

Johannes Schindelin

Oct 21, 2014, 11:35:40 AM10/21/14
to rupert thurner, msy...@googlegroups.com, rcda...@gmail.com
Hi Rupert,

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, rupert thurner wrote:

> > https://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk.
> >
> It would be nice if the git sdk installer would not reuiqre admin rights
> (as the msysgit installer does not) and there would be cancel button
> during the installation.

Patches welcome. As Thomas pointed out, you can clone said repository
using the portable Git for Windows.

Ciao,
Johannes

Robert Dailey

Oct 23, 2014, 1:46:25 PM10/23/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, rupert....@gmail.com, rcda...@gmail.com
Looking more into Git SDK, I find everything VERY confusing.

"msysgit" apparently was for developers only, as an environment to contribute to git for windows.
"Git for Windows" is apparently the user version of msysgit (i.e. already built)?

Now "git sdk" is a replacement for msysgit, but has a newer version of git (2.1.2 as far as I can tell), still developer environment (a warning is presented in the snapshot installer).
Apparently "Git for Windows" is the user version of "git sdk" but that's the same as 1.9.4 at the moment?

I'm SERIOUSLY confused. Why is this so complicated? I just want the latest version of Git on Windows, so I'm installing Git SDK to simply *use* git, not contribute to it. I'm assuming that will have to do for now.

Thomas Braun

Oct 23, 2014, 2:14:33 PM10/23/14
to Robert Dailey, msy...@googlegroups.com, rupert....@gmail.com
Am 23.10.2014 um 19:46 schrieb Robert Dailey:
> On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:35:40 AM UTC-5, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> Hi Rupert,
>
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, rupert thurner wrote:
>
> > > https://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk
> <https://github.com/git-for-windows/sdk>.
> > >
> > It would be nice if the git sdk installer would not reuiqre admin
> rights
> > (as the msysgit installer does not) and there would be cancel button
> > during the installation.
>
> Patches welcome. As Thomas pointed out, you can clone said repository
> using the portable Git for Windows.
>

> Looking more into Git SDK, I find everything VERY confusing.
>
> "msysgit" apparently was for developers only, as an environment to
> contribute to git for windows.
> "Git for Windows" is apparently the user version of msysgit (i.e.
> already built)?
>
> Now "git sdk" is a replacement for msysgit, but has a newer version of
> git (2.1.2 as far as I can tell), still developer environment (a warning
> is presented in the snapshot installer).
> Apparently "Git for Windows" is the user version of "git sdk" but that's
> the same as 1.9.4 at the moment?
>
> I'm SERIOUSLY confused. Why is this so complicated? I just want the
> latest version of Git on Windows, so I'm installing Git SDK to simply
> *use* git, not contribute to it. I'm assuming that will have to do for now.

- If you are a *user* the latest version of "Git for Windows" is
1.9.4.msysgit.2 from [1].
- If you are a developer "git-for-windows/sdk" is the right choice.

If in doubt your are a user.

[1]:
https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/releases/download/Git-1.9.4-preview20140929/Git-1.9.4-preview20140929.exe

Robert Dailey

Oct 23, 2014, 2:20:04 PM10/23/14
to Thomas Braun, msysGit, rupert THURNER
​To be clear, I'm not confused between the definition of a user and a developer. What I'm saying is that I want to use something newer than 1.9.4, even if that requires me to temporarily become a developer. For example:

1. Grab Git SDK
2. Somehow build the user installer for Git for Windows using the Git SDK, to build an install package for v2.1.2 of git
3. Install the v2.1.2 of Git for Windows and become a "user".

There are a few questions I have in order to do this:

1. What is the intended output of Git for Windows when built/packaged using Git SDK? Is this supposed to be the exact same as it is now (MingGW environment with Git v2.1.2 integrated inside​
) or something else?
2. What are the detailed steps to building and deploying Git for Windows using Git SDK? The Wiki is virtually empty and other than downloading the latest Git SDK snapshot installer and installing it, I'm not sure what else I need to do.

Whatever I learn here, I'm happy to update the Wiki so that people that wish to contribute or simply just build the Git for Windows installer using Git SDK themselves may do so easily without asking the same questions I am here on the mailing list. If I've missed important documentation, I apologize in advance and greatly appreciate any information on how to find the relevant reading materials.

Sebastian Schuberth

Oct 23, 2014, 3:27:05 PM10/23/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, msysGit, rupert THURNER
On 23.10.2014 20:20, Robert Dailey wrote:

> ​To be clear, I'm not confused between the definition of a user and a
> developer. What I'm saying is that I want to use something newer than
> 1.9.4, even if that requires me to temporarily become a developer. For
> example:
>
> 1. Grab Git SDK
> 2. Somehow build the user installer for Git for Windows using the Git SDK,
> to build an install package for v2.1.2 of git
> 3. Install the v2.1.2 of Git for Windows and become a "user".

Your second point is not doable yet, as there is currently no script to
create the user installer for Git for Windows. This is because the Git
SDK differs significantly in structure from msysgit. Also, what the user
will get with the user installer will change: He will get an environment
where individual MSYS tool, like, say, Bash, can be updated individually
without installing a newer version of the user installer.

> 1. What is the intended output of Git for Windows when built/packaged using
> Git SDK? Is this supposed to be the exact same as it is now (MingGW
> environment with Git v2.1.2 integrated inside​
> ) or something else?

No, not exactly the same, but something very similar plus some nice
features, see above.

> 2. What are the detailed steps to building and deploying Git for Windows
> using Git SDK?

No, because it's not doable yet, see above.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Robert Dailey

Oct 23, 2014, 3:30:54 PM10/23/14
to Sebastian Schuberth, Thomas Braun, msysGit, rupert THURNER
​Thank you very much for this information. I look forward to the future where these things are possible. Keep up the great work guys, you're all fantastic!​