libiconv-2.dll errors (introduced in new Git for Windows, but seen in msysgit for some time)

Drew Day

Jul 9, 2011, 2:24:48 PM7/9/11
to msy...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a bug involving msysgit and libiconv-2.dll.
I have a proposed workaround, but I don't know why the workaround is
needed (or if other workarounds like it are needed).
Here are the steps I can reproduce the error with:
- Install msysgit-fullinstall-1.7.4  OR 1.7.6
- Install msysgit-netinstall-1.7.4 OR 1.7.6
- Install Git For Windows 1.7.6 (but ***not*** 1.7.4)

1. launch msys.bat OR "Git Bash"
2. cd /tmp
3. git clone https://github.com/technogeeky/.vim
4. cd .vim
5. git submodule update --init -- bundle/gitv
Any submodule will do, and it's not a syntax error in .config, as
another repository:
https://github.com/d-rive/dotfiles-vim
has this same problem.
6. Get several error windows:
* title: git-sh-i18n-envsubst.exe - System Error
* content: "The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing
from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
7.
However, in all cases, libiconv-2.dll *is* on the path:
In git for windows (or when I put this file there manually on msysgit):
$ which libiconv-2.dll
/bin/libiconv-2.dll
In msysgit, normally, it's:
$ which libiconv-2.dll
/mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll

-------
Diagnosis:
This appears to be related directly to:
/libexec/git-core/git-submodule
/libexec/git-core/git-sh-i18n
/libexec/git-core/git-sh-i18n--envsubst.exe

Tests:
1. Double clicking on git-sh-i18n-envsubst.exe (in Windows) results in
the same error message, instantly.
2. Double clicking on /mingw/bin/envsubst.exe (in Windows) does not.

Workaround:
* copy /mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll
* to /libexec/git-core

Test to demonstrate workaround:
1. *WITH* /libexec/git-core/libiconv-2.dll:
$ git submodule update --init -- bundle/vim-repeat
Submodule 'bundle/vim-repeat' (git://github.com/tpope/vim-repeat.git) registered
 for path 'bundle/vim-repeat'
Cloning into bundle/vim-repeat...
remote: Counting objects: 5, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (5/5), done.
Submodule path 'bundle/vim-repeat': checked out 'c4101c205ef9e06bdfeff571a7dbba2
576f08974'

2. *WITHOUT* /libexec/git-core/libiconv-2.dll:

$ git submodule update --init -- bundle/vim-tabular
* error window
Cloning into bundle/vim-tabular...
remote: Counting objects: 14, done.
remote: Total 14 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)Receiving objects:  35% (5/14)
Receiving objects: 100% (14/14), 11.59 KiB, done.
*error window
*error window
$

Please let me know how I can help understand and resolve this issue.

Ryan Alberts

Jul 13, 2011, 4:21:43 PM7/13/11
to msysGit
I saw the same thing on a co-workers machine today.

paul.d...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2011, 4:20:39 PM8/2/11
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the work around, it took me a while searching for this and hitting stuff like this:
I'm going to update SO citing this.

Cheers,

Paul

term srv

Jan 30, 2012, 6:00:40 PM1/30/12
to Drew Day, msy...@googlegroups.com, paul.d...@gmail.com, ralb...@gmail.com
The message 'This application failed to start because libiconv-2.dll
was not found' is due to a bug. For more information please refer to:
https://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/browse_thread/thread/e7f2ad01d71a6349/60e15c3566f36b08#60e15c3566f36b08
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/175094/focus=182857

The path overrides the PATH environment variable since windows is not
case sensitive. For example if I do this from shell:
git submodule add ./arf22

path is set to arf22 and then this is eventually executed:
git-sh-i18n--envsubst "Adding existing repo at '$path' to the index"

See a screenshot here:
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/470/clipboard01ly.png
Hopefully we will get a new build with this fix sometime soon.

Why doesn't this group allow reply to all?

Johannes Schindelin

Jan 30, 2012, 7:56:47 PM1/30/12
to term srv, Drew Day, msy...@googlegroups.com, paul.d...@gmail.com, ralb...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, term srv wrote:

> Why doesn't this group allow reply to all?

There are the following settings available:

+ Replies are sent to the whole group.
+ Replies are sent to the author of the message.
+ Replies are sent to the owners of the group.
+ Users decide where their replies are sent.

It was set to the 4th. I now changed it to the 1st in the hope that it
improves things. Unfortunately, I think it does the wrong thing.

Ciao,
Johannes

Johannes Schindelin

Jan 30, 2012, 7:58:23 PM1/30/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com, term srv, Drew Day, paul.d...@gmail.com, ralb...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> There are the following settings available:
>
> + Replies are sent to the whole group.
> + Replies are sent to the author of the message.
> + Replies are sent to the owners of the group.
> + Users decide where their replies are sent.
>
> It was set to the 4th. I now changed it to the 1st in the hope that it
> improves things. Unfortunately, I think it does the wrong thing.

At least in this test, it seems that it actually Cc:s everybody, so unless
people complain loudly, I'll leave this setting.

Ciao,
Johannes

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 1, 2012, 12:53:47 PM2/1/12
to term srv, Drew Day, msy...@googlegroups.com, paul.d...@gmail.com, ralb...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

Unfortunately, my first test was borked, and I was correct after all. None
of the available GoogleGroup settings allows to suggest reply-to-all.

Maybe you want to submit a bug report to them?

Ciao,
Johannes

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 1, 2012, 6:22:54 PM2/1/12
to termsrv, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, termsrv wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Johannes Schindelin
> <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, my first test was borked, and I was correct after all. None
> > of the available GoogleGroup settings allows to suggest reply-to-all.
> >
> > Maybe you want to submit a bug report to them?
>

> Alright I'll do that. I had assumed it was specific to the list.
> Thanks for looking into it. Do you know where to report it? Google's
> help forum has no entry for Google Groups.

No, I don't. Maybe someone on the list (re-Cc:ed) knows?

Ciao,
Johannes

smens...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2014, 4:27:45 AM4/20/14
to msy...@googlegroups.com, seni...@gmail.com
lucky you it does not worked for me.

On Monday, June 25, 2012 4:32:12 AM UTC-7, seni...@gmail.com wrote:

All I did was simply reinstall GIT and everything works WELL...