Updating the Msysgit developer environment..

Philip Oakley

Nov 12, 2014, 4:06:58 PM11/12/14
to Git MsysGit
What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat will
use?
---

I installed my developer environment back when $ git --version => git
version 1.7.9.GIT was young ;-).

Thus when I (occasionally) use my C:\msysgit179\msys.bat, I'm still
getting the now old v1.7.9. located at.
$ which git
/bin/git

Normally I'm using git bash (separately installed) via my main explorer
shortcut C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\Program
Files\Git\bin\sh.exe" --login -i", which is version
1.9.4-preview20140611, so is not usually a problem.

However I'd like to see if I can update, in-place, my developer
environment version of git (at /bin/git).

What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat will
use?

I have recompiled the latest version of msysgit (v1.9.4.msysgit.2) in
line with https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MSysGit:UpdatingMSysGit
and 'make' appears to have run correctly, though I haven't run the
tests.

Philip

in the msys.bat window I have the path pre-pends of
$ echo $PATH
/c/Documents and
Settings/Philip/bin:.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/d/Program
Files/Windows Resource
Kits/Tools/:/c/Tcl/bin:/d/Ruby192/bin/gitbook:/d/rubydevkit:/c/Program
Files/MiKTeX
2.9/miktex/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/c/Program
Files/MATLAB/MATLAB Component Runtime/v77/runtime/win32:/c/Program
Files/MultiMarkdown:/c/Program Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/:/c/Program
Files/SourceGear/Common/DiffMerge/:/c/WINDOWS/system32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program
Files/Nmap
$

Philip Oakley

Nov 13, 2014, 7:00:33 AM11/13/14
to Git MsysGit
"Philip Oakley" Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:07 PM
> What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat will
> use?
> ---
Some extra research...

> I installed my developer environment back when $ git --version => git
> version 1.7.9.GIT was young ;-).
>
> Thus when I (occasionally) use my C:\msysgit179\msys.bat, I'm still
> getting the now old v1.7.9. located at.
> $ which git
> /bin/git

This is the "Welcome to msysGit" window (with the cmd.exe icon) and its
root is at my "C:\msysgit179\" (determined by comparing an 'ls' command
with a windows explorer view)

> Normally I'm using git bash (separately installed) via my main
> explorer shortcut C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\Program
> Files\Git\bin\sh.exe" --login -i", which is version
> 1.9.4-preview20140611, so is not usually a problem.

This is the "Welcome to Git (version 1.9.4-preview20140611)" window with
the Git red diamond graph icon, and its root is "C:\Documents and
Settings\Philip\" (same confirmation method).

So it looks like 'root' wanders between instances.

Is there a way to get (reliably?) the Windows path for root from within
the bash windows?
I'm not aware of one. (everyones focus apperas to be on making it look
like Linux and making Windows vanish ;-)

> However I'd like to see if I can update, in-place, my developer
> environment version of git (at /bin/git).

i.e that exe's in "C:\msysgit179\bin\git.exe"

> What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat will
> use?
>
> I have recompiled the latest version of msysgit (v1.9.4.msysgit.2) in
> line with
> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/MSysGit:UpdatingMSysGit and
> 'make' appears to have run correctly, though I haven't run the tests.

Ran the tests overnight (This is on my XP netbook!), with only a few
fails (for me).

"These tests failed: t3301-notes t4036-format-patch-signer-mime
t3420-rebase-autostash t5801-remote-helpers t6006-rev-list-format
t3404-rebase-interactive t9200-git-cvsexportcommit
Unfinished tests: t1303-wacky-config t9300-fast-import"

I've not tried any debugging of those.

My short term goal is to:
ensure I have a clean machine with relatively new Git installs,

then actually debug the generation of the '.sln' file for use with
Visual Studio as an IDE
(£dayjob includes use of VS2008, hence a familiarity prefernce, rather
than using Notepad++)

I've got a few patches from last year for the generation of the .sln for
Git, but there are still a few nits.

Johannes Schindelin

Nov 13, 2014, 9:14:26 AM11/13/14
to Philip Oakley, Git MsysGit
Hi Philip,

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, Philip Oakley wrote:

> "Philip Oakley" Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:07 PM
> > What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat will use?

If you are talking about msysGit, please note that

1. it is intended only to develop Git for Windows

2. it will be superseded by the Git for Windows SDK [*1*] soon

3. updating msysGit is a bit involved since you will need a separate Git
for Windows to update the repository in / (i.e. the development
environment itself), then the one in /git/ and then you have to build
and install Git from /git/ via `make install`.

I highly doubt that it is worth your time worrying about msysGit anymore;
if you want to contribute to Git for Windows, the best idea is to help the
Git for Windows SDK to get into a shape where we can make and release the
first installer for Git for Windows >= 2.0.0.

> So it looks like 'root' wanders between instances.

Root is the MSys root. Note that Git for Windows is not strictly an MSys
application, but parts of Git (still) require a Bash, and Bash *is* an
MSys program. And MSys has as "root" directory the one whose bin/sh.exe
was called.

> Is there a way to get (reliably?) the Windows path for root from within
> the bash windows?

pwd -W

Ciao,
Johannes

Philip Oakley

Nov 13, 2014, 12:15:35 PM11/13/14
to Johannes Schindelin, Git MsysGit
From: "Johannes Schindelin" <Johannes....@gmx.de>
[was] Subject: Re: [msysGit] Updating the Msysgit developer
environment..
[1/3]

> Hi Philip,
>

>> Is there a way to get (reliably?) the Windows path for root from
>> within
>> the bash windows?
>
> pwd -W
>
> Ciao,
> Johannes

Many thanks for that. I'd seen, but not registered, that usage.

It helps greatly disambiguate one's current location when confused !

I've re-titled the message in case others need the same help ;-)

--Philip

Philip Oakley

Nov 13, 2014, 12:33:01 PM11/13/14
to Johannes Schindelin, Git MsysGit
Hi Johannes,
From: "Johannes Schindelin" <Johannes....@gmx.de>
> Hi Philip,
>
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, Philip Oakley wrote:
>
>> "Philip Oakley" Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:07 PM
>> > What is the right way of updating the git version that msys.bat
>> > will use?
>
> If you are talking about msysGit, please note that
>
> 1. it is intended only to develop Git for Windows
I was looking at a bit of Git development on Windows, though not exactly
the 'Git for Windows' stuff.

> 2. it will be superseded by the Git for Windows SDK [*1*] soon

My fingers are crossed (in hope). I'll do what I can.

> 3. updating msysGit is a bit involved since you will need a separate
> Git
> for Windows to update the repository in / (i.e. the development
> environment itself), then the one in /git/ and then you have to
> build
> and install Git from /git/ via `make install`.

Thanks for the extra step (e.g. `make install`), and comments regarding
the "a bit involved" [1].
I was mainly trying to stop my v1.7.9 barfing on my "simple" config
entry, and refusing to run anything by updating it to a newer version
(though I've edited .config now;-).

> I highly doubt that it is worth your time worrying about msysGit
> anymore;
> if you want to contribute to Git for Windows, the best idea is to help
> the
> Git for Windows SDK to get into a shape where we can make and release
> the
> first installer for Git for Windows >= 2.0.0.
>
>> So it looks like 'root' wanders between instances.
>
> Root is the MSys root. Note that Git for Windows is not strictly an
> MSys
> application, but parts of Git (still) require a Bash, and Bash *is* an
> MSys program. And MSys has as "root" directory the one whose
> bin/sh.exe
> was called.

Yes, I've started to also notice the version of git being used varying
depending on which directory I'm in (msysgit, or msysgit/git).

My XY-Problem is to generate a Git.sln so I can use the IDE facilities
of VS2008 (express).
(I've already seen VS2010 barf on ../paths so I don't want more mission
creep in that direction.)

Ultimately, I'm looking at fixing the failure of 'git bundle' to include
the HEAD symref when disambiguation is needed.

>> Is there a way to get (reliably?) the Windows path for root from
>> within
>> the bash windows?
>
> pwd -W
>
> Ciao,