Duplicate menu entries

Phillip Susi

Oct 18, 2011, 3:04:49 PM10/18/11
to msy...@googlegroups.com
I've installed Git-1.7.7-preview20111014 on Windows 7 and the menu
entries it adds to the explorer folder context menu are all duplicated.
Now when I right click on a non git folder I get:

Expand
Open In New Window
*Git Init Here*
*Git GUI*
*Git Bash*
Share With
SVN Checkout
TortoiseSVN
Restore Previous Versions
Include In Library
*Git Init Here*
*Git GUI*
*Git Bash*
Send To
Cut
Copy
Rename
New
Properties

Is this a known bug and is there a workaround?

Note this also happened with 1.7.6-preview20111014.

psusi

Nov 7, 2011, 9:35:58 AM11/7/11
to msysGit
Nobody else is seeing this? I have the same issue on 1.7.7.1-
preview20111027.

Pat Thoyts

Nov 7, 2011, 12:07:15 PM11/7/11
to psusi, msysGit

I don't see that here at least with Windows 7 x64. Although I don't
have a "Git Init Here" either - so perhaps you installed something
else too? TortoiseGit perhaps?

Erik Faye-Lund

Nov 7, 2011, 12:25:23 PM11/7/11
to Pat Thoyts, psusi, msysGit

"Git Init Here" should only appear if the current dir is not a git
repo. If it is, a bunch of other options appear.

This is a typical artifact of installing two versions of the shell
extension. Perhaps the OP have two installations of Git for Windows?

Phillip Susi

Nov 7, 2011, 3:12:38 PM11/7/11
to kusm...@gmail.com, Pat Thoyts, msysGit
On 11/7/2011 12:25 PM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> This is a typical artifact of installing two versions of the shell
> extension. Perhaps the OP have two installations of Git for Windows?

According to Add/remove programs, I only have the one. I thought I
would try to uninstall it and make sure both entries went away, then
reinstall and see if only one came back, but when I try to uninstall, I
get "Runtime error (at 18:1292): Could not call proc".

Are there instructions somewhere to manually uninstall msysGIT?

Phillip Susi

Nov 7, 2011, 3:43:49 PM11/7/11
to kusm...@gmail.com, Pat Thoyts, msysGit
I seem to have found and fixed the problem. I noticed that the CLSID
for Git-Cheetah was listed in the registry twice under the Directory
type. Normally it is under shellex\ContextMenuHandlers, but it was also
listed under Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.

I'm not sure what this Background key is for, but removing the
Git-Cheetah entry from it got rid of the duplicate menu entries.

psusi

Dec 12, 2011, 10:16:38 AM12/12/11
to msysGit
Same issue when upgrading to Git-1.7.8-preview20111206. Have to
remove the duplicate Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers key.

Sebastian Schuberth

Dec 13, 2011, 9:22:02 AM12/13/11
to Phillip Susi, kusm...@gmail.com, Pat Thoyts, msysGit
On 07.11.2011 21:43, Phillip Susi wrote:

> I seem to have found and fixed the problem. I noticed that the CLSID for
> Git-Cheetah was listed in the registry twice under the Directory type.
> Normally it is under shellex\ContextMenuHandlers, but it was also listed
> under Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.
>
> I'm not sure what this Background key is for, but removing the
> Git-Cheetah entry from it got rid of the duplicate menu entries.

The background key is for shell extensions that appear in the context
menu of the background of a directory window (as opposed to the context
menu for a directory entry in the tree view). So having both context
menu handlers registered seems to be fine if you want to have entries
for both the tree view context menu and the list view background context
menu. TortoiseSVN is doing it the same way AFAICS.

Are you using some non-standard explorer / file manager by any chance
which might not handle the background context menu items correctly? Are
you having the same issue with TortoiseSVN (not TortoiseGit)?

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Phillip Susi

Dec 13, 2011, 10:01:51 AM12/13/11
to Sebastian Schuberth, kusm...@gmail.com, Pat Thoyts, msysGit
On 12/13/2011 9:22 AM, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> The background key is for shell extensions that appear in the context
> menu of the background of a directory window (as opposed to the context
> menu for a directory entry in the tree view). So having both context
> menu handlers registered seems to be fine if you want to have entries
> for both the tree view context menu and the list view background context
> menu. TortoiseSVN is doing it the same way AFAICS.

I guess it must have to do something in the library when it is loaded in
both places to avoid adding the menu twice?

> Are you using some non-standard explorer / file manager by any chance
> which might not handle the background context menu items correctly? Are
> you having the same issue with TortoiseSVN (not TortoiseGit)?

Nope, bog standard Windows 7 install. Not having the same issue with
TortoiseSVN ( though it does appear to be registered in both registry
keys as you said ).

Pat Thoyts

Dec 13, 2011, 12:22:48 PM12/13/11
to Phillip Susi, Sebastian Schuberth, kusm...@gmail.com, msysGit

It may be registry virtualization then. If you run the installer as
admin, it will write into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but if you run as a
non-admin user under some conditions it may place COM registrations in
a virtualized per-user section of the registry. So maybe you have
entries for this in both the admin HKCR\Directory and the user
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory producing your replica
entries. Though I thought it was supposed to override - not add.

Phillip Susi

Dec 13, 2011, 1:43:02 PM12/13/11
to Pat Thoyts, Sebastian Schuberth, kusm...@gmail.com, msysGit
On 12/13/2011 12:22 PM, Pat Thoyts wrote:
> It may be registry virtualization then. If you run the installer as
> admin, it will write into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT but if you run as a
> non-admin user under some conditions it may place COM registrations in
> a virtualized per-user section of the registry. So maybe you have
> entries for this in both the admin HKCR\Directory and the user
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory producing your replica
> entries. Though I thought it was supposed to override - not add.

I do seem to have the non background entry under HKCU, though I'm not
sure how it got there as I am an admin and always choose to install
system wide.

I just uninstalled and verified that all git-cheetah keys were removed
from both HKCR and HKCU, then reinstalled, and now I have only the non
background entry under both, and no duplicate menu items. It seems that
Git-1.7.8-preview20111206 no longer adds the background entries, but
leaves them in place when upgrading.

Sebastian Schuberth

Dec 13, 2011, 2:36:56 PM12/13/11
to Phillip Susi, Pat Thoyts, kusm...@gmail.com, msysGit
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 19:43, Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> It may be registry virtualization then. If you run the installer as

Good guess, Pat!

> I just uninstalled and verified that all git-cheetah keys were removed from
> both HKCR and HKCU, then reinstalled, and now I have only the non background
> entry under both, and no duplicate menu items.  It seems that
> Git-1.7.8-preview20111206 no longer adds the background entries, but leaves
> them in place when upgrading.

That's odd. I just checked git-cheetah's dll.c code again, it seems to
always write both the non-background and background keys, and both
either to HKCR or HKCU.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

psusi

Dec 16, 2011, 11:19:03 AM12/16/11
to msysGit
On Dec 13, 1:43 pm, Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> I do seem to have the non background entry under HKCU, though I'm not
> sure how it got there as I am an admin and always choose to install
> system wide.
>
> I just uninstalled and verified that all git-cheetah keys were removed
> from both HKCR and HKCU, then reinstalled, and now I have only the non
> background entry under both, and no duplicate menu items.  It seems that
> Git-1.7.8-preview20111206 no longer adds the background entries, but
> leaves them in place when upgrading.

I spoke too soon. The duplicate entries showed up again today because
the Background registration reappeared for the Directory class ( in
HKCR ). I noted that git-cheetah is registered under Drive, Folder,
Directory, and * classes, but only the Directory class (and only in
HKCR) got the background registration.

term srv

Mar 22, 2012, 10:43:17 PM3/22/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Hello I'm also having this problem with duplicate menu entries when I right-click on a folder. Any advice is appreciated. I have
Git-1.7.9-preview20120201.exe
TortoiseGit-1.7.7.0-32bit.msi
These are installed over older installations. With this install I didn't even choose GitCheetah this time but the installer said it does not uninstall GitCheetah. I actually don't mind GitCheetah but my resolution is limited and the dual entries are a pain because I have to scroll down to see everything.

Thanks, and here is the output from autoruns

"HKCU\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"    ""    ""    ""
+ "Git-Cheetah"    "Git Shell Extension"    ""    "c:\program files\git\git-cheetah\git_shell_ext.dll"

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"    ""    ""    ""
+ "Git-Cheetah"    "Git Shell Extension"    ""    "c:\program files\git\git-cheetah\git_shell_ext.dll"

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"    ""    ""    ""
+ "Git-Cheetah"    "Git Shell Extension"    ""    "c:\program files\git\git-cheetah\git_shell_ext.dll"

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ColumnHandlers"    ""    ""    ""
+ "Git-Cheetah"    "Git Shell Extension"    ""    "c:\program files\git\git-cheetah\git_shell_ext.dll"

"HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"    ""    ""    ""
+ "Git-Cheetah"    "Git Shell Extension"    ""    "c:\program files\git\git-cheetah\git_shell_ext.dll"

jaibu...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2012, 6:11:55 PM4/29/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, term srv wrote:
Hello I'm also having this problem with duplicate menu entries when I right-click on a folder. Any advice is appreciated. I have

I have the exact same problem.

Every engineer has his limit to how much crap he can tolerate with other people's crappy software, and I just reached mine about 3 minutes ago after a 17-hour marathon session of trying to get Visual Studio 2010 to behave. Now GIT. I installed GIT last week, but did not get a chance to use it because I was dealing with crap software tools all week. I was going to try to hunt down a file-locking bug with GIT, but I see these duplicate menu entries.

As someone who has written Shell extensions, let me assure everyone who is reading this is that, while the Shell API is messy, this type of bug is inexcusable. The person who wrote this part of the GIT GUI is sloppy, plain and simple.

I will not try to investigate this further. I will get back to writing my OWN normal software, after deal with other people's techno-feces after an entire WEEK.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Heiko Voigt

May 2, 2012, 12:19:39 PM5/2/12
to jaibu...@gmail.com, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

a few words of advice.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 03:11:55PM -0700, jaibu...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, term srv wrote:
> >
> > Hello I'm also having this problem with duplicate menu entries when I
> > right-click on a folder. Any advice is appreciated. I have
> >

> I have the exact same problem.
>
> Every engineer has his limit to how much crap he can tolerate with other
> people's crappy software, and I just reached mine about 3 minutes ago after
> a 17-hour marathon session of trying to get Visual Studio 2010 to behave.
> Now GIT. I installed GIT last week, but did not get a chance to use it
> because I was dealing with crap software tools all week. I was going to try
> to hunt down a file-locking bug with GIT, but I see these duplicate menu
> entries.
>
> As someone who has written Shell extensions, let me assure everyone who is
> reading this is that, while the Shell API is messy, this type of bug is
> inexcusable. The person who wrote this part of the GIT GUI is sloppy, plain
> and simple.

Stop insulting people and get started fixing the issue! As someone who
knows the insides of the installer and the shell extension I can tell
you that it is very likely that _you_ have done something wrong!

> I will not try to investigate this further. I will get back to writing my
> OWN normal software, after deal with other people's techno-feces after an
> entire WEEK.

If you are not willing to provide the basic necessary information to
reproduce what you are seeing my advice is to either start paying
someone from the msysgit project to fix your issue or stop using it.

This is a project driven by people who invest their free time to work on
git for windows not some product from a big company. If you do not give
anything you cannot expect anything in return!

Cheers Heiko

J. C. Jones

May 2, 2012, 1:01:29 PM5/2/12
to Heiko Voigt, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heiko,
Your words would carry significant weight if I happened to be the first,
second, third or person who experienced it, then reported it, then got it
fixed. Then I would be out-of-line insulting anyone. But I read the posts,
and this goes far back, and as of last week, it's still not fixed.
I realize that this is a volunteer effort, and people donate their time, but
IMO, that is not an excuse for carelessness (or whatever you want to call
it). If it were, then every time I volunteered to help troubled youth, or
the homeless, or to move a neighbor's mattress, or pick up litter on side of
the road, and I made a mess of it, then I could say, "Hey, quit complaining,
my services are free, so...I have a right to be sloppy." Engineers (which is
technically what we are) have a responsibility to do a "good job" regardless
of whether we are paid or not. Of course, "good job" is subjective, and
there will always be some bugs. But again, I have written several namespace
extensions from scratch, and this is mostly like a problem with IContext
menu or its friends.

Unfortunately, I do have the time to fix it myself. I have my own project
that I am creating for the world, and I have an obligation to limit my
future users' frustrations by doing a good job on it.

I am running on Windows Vista 32-bit, AMD Athlon 64-bit, 1GB RAM. I cannot
emphasize enough that I did not change any of the default settings while
doing an installation.

I am looking at context menu, and I see the following double-presence group
of menu items:

Git Init Here
Git GUI
Git Bash

Git Init Here
Git GUI
Git Bash

And again, there are other people here who have had the same problem.

Erik Faye-Lund

May 2, 2012, 1:14:11 PM5/2/12
to J. C. Jones, Heiko Voigt, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM, J. C. Jones <jaibu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Heiko,
> Your words would carry significant weight if I happened to be the first,
> second, third or person who experienced it, then reported it, then got it
> fixed. Then I would be out-of-line insulting anyone. But I read the posts,
> and this goes far back, and as of last week, it's still not fixed.
> I realize that this is a volunteer effort, and people donate their time, but
> IMO, that is not an excuse for carelessness (or whatever you want to call
> it). If it were, then every time I volunteered to help troubled youth, or
> the homeless, or to move a neighbor's mattress, or pick up litter on side of
> the road, and I made a mess of it, then I could say, "Hey, quit complaining,
> my services are free, so...I have a right to be sloppy." Engineers (which is
> technically what we are) have a responsibility to do a "good job" regardless
> of whether we are paid or not.

Everything you wrote above is simply ludicrous. No, you don't get to
make demands, especially not in an insulting fashion. And you being
the n-th person with the problem is just evidence that the people who
care about it just complain about it than try to fix it.

We aren't your personal army of programmers, this is open source. You
scratch your own itch.
> --
> *** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
> *** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
> *** Please avoid top-posting. ***
> The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

> msysgit+u...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

J. C. Jones

May 2, 2012, 1:30:22 PM5/2/12
to kusm...@gmail.com, Heiko Voigt, msy...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I did not make demands. I did not say, "This is broken, fix
it."
What happened, as I said, is that I hat just spent hours on other defective
software, and when I got to this software, which did not create a
repository, and had double menus, I did the only logical thing that a
time-constrained engineer might do in that situation. I chunked it. ["Chunk"
is American slang for "throw".]

Heiko Voigt

May 2, 2012, 3:13:30 PM5/2/12
to J. C. Jones, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:01:29PM -0500, J. C. Jones wrote:
> Hi Heiko,
> Your words would carry significant weight if I happened to be the first,
> second, third or person who experienced it, then reported it, then got it
> fixed. Then I would be out-of-line insulting anyone. But I read the posts,
> and this goes far back, and as of last week, it's still not fixed.

Even if it took several years you would be out-of-line! As this is free
software. Even though we happily use this software and extent and fix it
as *we* need it. We do not guarantee you anything!

> I realize that this is a volunteer effort, and people donate their time, but
> IMO, that is not an excuse for carelessness (or whatever you want to call
> it). If it were, then every time I volunteered to help troubled youth, or
> the homeless, or to move a neighbor's mattress, or pick up litter on side of
> the road, and I made a mess of it, then I could say, "Hey, quit complaining,
> my services are free, so...I have a right to be sloppy." Engineers (which is
> technically what we are) have a responsibility to do a "good job" regardless
> of whether we are paid or not. Of course, "good job" is subjective, and
> there will always be some bugs. But again, I have written several namespace
> extensions from scratch, and this is mostly like a problem with IContext
> menu or its friends.

If it was that easy reproduceable it would already have been fixed.
At the moment no msysgit developer has an environment to reproduce this
bug. E.g. see http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/msg/3e52b5b81f39a1cc

> Unfortunately, I do have the time to fix it myself. I have my own project
> that I am creating for the world, and I have an obligation to limit my
> future users' frustrations by doing a good job on it.
>
> I am running on Windows Vista 32-bit, AMD Athlon 64-bit, 1GB RAM. I cannot
> emphasize enough that I did not change any of the default settings while
> doing an installation.

I suspect that you actually have two installations of git in two
different locations. Could you please verify that it is not the case!?

If that is not the case then it seems this issue is only visible on
Vista (not XP and not Windows 7). Since I am not sure whether anyone
here has a Vista box you would have to special case the code for
Vista so that it works for you.

Cheers Heiko

Erik Faye-Lund

May 2, 2012, 3:19:42 PM5/2/12
to Heiko Voigt, J. C. Jones, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Heiko Voigt <hvo...@hvoigt.net> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I do have the time to fix it myself. I have my own project
>> that I am creating for the world, and I have an obligation to limit my
>> future users' frustrations by doing a good job on it.
>>
>> I am running on Windows Vista 32-bit, AMD Athlon 64-bit, 1GB RAM. I cannot
>> emphasize enough that I did not change any of the default settings while
>> doing an installation.
>
> I suspect that you actually have two installations of git in two
> different locations. Could you please verify that it is not the case!?
>
> If that is not the case then it seems this issue is only visible on
> Vista (not XP and not Windows 7). Since I am not sure whether anyone
> here has a Vista box you would have to special case the code for
> Vista so that it works for you.

The OP of this thread reported the issue with Windows 7...

Heiko Voigt

May 2, 2012, 3:38:43 PM5/2/12
to Erik Faye-Lund, J. C. Jones, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 09:19:42PM +0200, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> > If that is not the case then it seems this issue is only visible on
> > Vista (not XP and not Windows 7). Since I am not sure whether anyone
> > here has a Vista box you would have to special case the code for
> > Vista so that it works for you.
>
> The OP of this thread reported the issue with Windows 7...

Ok then I do not know what could be causing this. Never seen it.

J. C. Jones

May 2, 2012, 4:50:21 PM5/2/12
to Heiko Voigt, msy...@googlegroups.com
<quote>
I suspect that you actually have two installations of git in two different
locations. Could you please verify that it is not the case!?

If that is not the case then it seems this issue is only visible on Vista
(not XP and not Windows 7). Since I am not sure whether anyone here has a
Vista box you would have to special case the code for Vista so that it works
for you.

Cheers Heiko
</quote>

Hi,

I took another look at my configuration and decided to uninstall and
re-install and pay close attention to see if I could find something. As
before, my configuration is:

32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 on AMD Atholon 64 X2 Dual
Core 3800+ 2.00GHz 1.00GB RAM

Before uninstalling, I first verified that I had duplicate menu items.
Right-clicking on "C:\Cygwin" in the tree control of a Windows Explorer I
see:

*Git Init Here*
*Git Gui*
*Git Bash*

*Git Init Here*
*Git Gui*
*Git Bash*

I went to Control Panel->Programs & Features to see what I had installed. I
had (Git-1.7.10-preview20120409) installed, as well as a Git source-control
plug-in for VS2008. I un-installed the Git VS2008 plug-in, used Process
Explorer to kill all Explorer.exe's, including the desktop Explorer.exe,
restarted the desktop Explorer.exe, and launched one extra Explorer.exe,
then used it to check "Cygwin" again, and duplicate was still present.

I then un-installed (Git-1.7.10-preview20120409) from Control Panel, and a
box came up telling me that a process had to be killed to continue [it was
the main Explorer.exe]. I killed all Explorer.exe's again, uinstalled
(Git-1.7.10-preview20120409), rebooted computer, checked to see file system
was devoid of GIT-related software, as well as Control Panel, re-installed
Git-1.7.10-preview20120409, checked "Cygwin" again, and the duplicate was
present.

I went to the GIT source code repository:

https://github.com/msysgit/git

...to see if I could find code where IContextMenu for Windows Explorer is
being populated, but saw a bunch of TCL code. I guess GIT's GUI is written
in...?

-J.C.

Erik Faye-Lund

May 2, 2012, 5:21:17 PM5/2/12
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM, J. C. Jones <jaibu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I then un-installed (Git-1.7.10-preview20120409) from Control Panel, and a
> box came up telling me that a process had to be killed to continue [it was
> the main Explorer.exe]. I killed all Explorer.exe's again, uinstalled
> (Git-1.7.10-preview20120409), rebooted computer, checked to see file system
> was devoid of GIT-related software, as well as Control Panel,

It would be interesting to know if there were still any "Git init
here" etc in the entry. That would indicate that there was some stale
shell-extension from a corrupted installation (or something along
those lines) hanging around.

> re-installed
> Git-1.7.10-preview20120409, checked "Cygwin" again, and the duplicate was
> present.
>
> I went to the GIT source code repository:
>
> https://github.com/msysgit/git
>
> ...to see if I could find code where IContextMenu for Windows Explorer is
> being populated, but saw a bunch of TCL code. I guess GIT's GUI is written
> in...?

It's written in C. What you are looking for is actually called
Git-Cheetah (a word-play on TortoiseCVS etc). You can find the
source-repository here: https://github.com/msysgit/Git-Cheetah

Heiko Voigt

May 3, 2012, 6:15:05 PM5/3/12
to Erik Faye-Lund, J. C. Jones, msy...@googlegroups.com
FWIW have a look at

https://github.com/msysgit/Git-Cheetah/commit/d1ad8f128319afc14017f56dd7344488f3fff429

which adds support for control over registry entries specific to certain
windows versions.

But it was reverted because it also disabled the context menu on folder
icons.

Cheers Heiko

Pat Thoyts

May 3, 2012, 6:49:41 PM5/3/12
to Heiko Voigt, Erik Faye-Lund, J. C. Jones, msy...@googlegroups.com
IIRC the core issue behind that was doing an install with a
non-administrative account put entries into the user registry. If we
then do an install with the administrative account (or an upgrade as
admin) we get entries in the machine registry and end up with
duplicates. There is probably more in the message archives,

Heiko Voigt

May 9, 2012, 6:29:52 PM5/9/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com, Heiko Voigt, Erik Faye-Lund, J. C. Jones

As far as I can see we do not install to the machine entries in the installer even when the installer is run as administrator. The installer always writes to HKLU. So it seems this issue is very likely due to registry virtualization. I do not know how it is possible to check for that. If someone having this issue could investigate I would be happy to support.

Cheers Heiko

Heiko Voigt

Oct 1, 2012, 3:38:42 PM10/1/12
to lhf...@gmail.com, msy...@googlegroups.com, Erik Faye-Lund, J. C. Jones
Hi,

please do not top post. Thanks.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 12:58:05AM -0700, lhf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all, was there ever any resolution to the multiple entries in the
> context menu?
>
> I can confirm that there is a problem with the installer; my hard drive
> died so I have just completed a fresh Windows 7 installation on a new
> drive. I have installed SharpDevelop then Git-1.7.11-preview20120710.exe
> (once only). I now have duplicate entries in my explorer context menu.

As mentioned in my last email: We need support from someone having this
issue to investigate. Would you be interested to help us?

> My account is a member of administrators group, and I ran the installer as
> admin. Should I not have used run as admin maybe?

It is unclear whats causing this issue. Please try not running the
installer as administrator and tell us your results.

> Sadly, on trying out my first commit within SharpDevelop, I am informed
> that I need to have TortoiseGit installed. I had been hoping to keep
> things clean and simple and only install the one GIT management tool. So
> it seems the best option for me is to remove git-cheetah altogether. Is
> there a config tool to do this?

We are in no connection with SharpDevelop so I can not tell you anything
about that. But you can use git-cheetah to start Git Gui from the
explorer which in my opinion is far more feature rich than any other
tool I have experienced.

The tool to unregister git-cheetah manually would be regsvr32.exe.

Cheers Heiko