Is empty_dir warning on files normal ?

Semil Core

Aug 2, 2010, 5:36:00 PM8/2/10
to msy...@googlegroups.com
HI

When i ran a "git svn clone" i saw many empty_dir warning messages on files and i got a bit concerned and confused.
"empty_dir" suggest that this warning is only for directories but i get it for files so is this normal or a bug ?

Console output sample:
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/aasc.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ra288.h
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/indeo2data.h

        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/pcm.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mjpegbdec.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/adpcm.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/msvideo1.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegvideo_pa
rser.c
        D       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/x86/cavsdsp_
mmx.c
        M       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/Makefile
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/8bps.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/aasc.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/adpcm.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/amr_float
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/asv1.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/atrac3.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/atrac3data.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/audioconvert.
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/avs.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cavs.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cavs.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cavsdata.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cavsdec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cavsdsp.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/celp_filters.
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/celp_filters.
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/celp_math.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/celp_math.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/cinepak.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/dv.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/dvdata.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/eval.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ffv1.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/flac.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/flac.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/fraps.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/g726.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/gsm.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/h261.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/h261.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/huffyuv.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/imc.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/imcdata.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/indeo2.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/indeo2data.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/indeo3.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/indeo3data.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/jfdctfst.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/jfdctint.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/lcl.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/lcldec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libamr.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/loco.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/lpc.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/lpc.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mace.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mjpeg_parser.
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mjpegbdec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mjpegenc.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg12.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg12.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg12data.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg12decdata
.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg4audio.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpeg4audio.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudio.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudio_par
ser.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudiodata
.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudiodata
.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudiodec.
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudiodech
eader.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegaudiodech
eader.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/mpegvideo_par
ser.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/msrle.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/msrledec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/msrledec.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/msvideo1.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/opt.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/opt.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/pcm.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/png.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/png.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/pngdec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/qdm2.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/qdm2data.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/qpeg.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/qtrle.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ra144.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ra144.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ra288.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ra288.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/ratecontrol.c

W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/rpza.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/rtjpeg.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/rtjpeg.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/rv10.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/truemotion1.c

W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/truemotion1da
ta.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/truemotion2.c

W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/truespeech.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/truespeech_da
ta.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/tscc.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/tta.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vcr1.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vorbis.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vorbis.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vorbis_data.c

W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vorbis_dec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/wma.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/wma.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/wmadata.h
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/wmadec.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/wnv1.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/x86/cavsdsp_m
mx.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/xl.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/zmbv.c
W: -empty_dir: src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavformat
r1166 = 1a9589d5fa4cc6c5275d7a74890ef317dd1a7541 (refs/remotes/git-svn)
        M       src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/nellymoserde
c.c

Semil

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 2, 2010, 6:00:41 PM8/2/10
to Semil Core, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Semil Core wrote:

> HI

HI!

> D src/filters/transform/mpcvideodec/ffmpeg/libavcodec/aasc.c

http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=summary

And from

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

we know

git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/
cd ffmpeg
git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/libswscale/

If, on the other hand, you want to know what these +empty_dir warnings are
about, you will have to learn much more about Subversion and Git, for
example by reading documentation on Git, SVN, and git-svn. This knowledge
will help you tremendously when you are working with git-svn.

Hth,
Johannes

Semil

Aug 3, 2010, 8:17:55 AM8/3/10
to msysGit
Well if it only where that easy, it's not the ffmpeg repo.
sorry i guess i should have provided that info in my first post.

it's the mpc-hc repo, here's the exact command i used (warning this
command takes ages, about 1 - 2 days, git is fast but this is one part
that is not):
git svn clone https://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mpc-hc/trunk

Link to mpc-hc project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/develop

> If, on the other hand, you want to know what these +empty_dir warnings are
> about, you will have to learn much more about Subversion and Git, for
> example by reading documentation on Git, SVN, and git-svn. This knowledge
> will help you tremendously when you are working with git-svn.

I did try to find some info about the warning message before posting
here but i couldnt find any, did google fail me ?

On 3 Aug, 00:00, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de>

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 3, 2010, 12:04:45 PM8/3/10
to Semil Core, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I rarely top-post, but this is one occasion when it is appropriate. For
the record: my time is valuable, and if you want to have a part of it, you
need to make it attractive to me to spend it on you. If there is nothing I
get in return, or even worse, if I am abused, it should be (but obviously
isn't) obvious that I am not happy with that.

If, in contrast, you ask politely, and make it fun to help you, and
reply-to-all so that others can see my response (and Google it, too), and
generally give me an opportunity to show publicly how nice a guy I am, you
are most welcome to ask questions. Even if I am notoriously short on time.

Ciao,
Johannes

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Semil Core wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Johannes Schindelin <
> Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > sorry, I am not a free private helpdesk. From time to time I respond
> > to mails to the list, but only because I get public recognition as a
> > substitute for being paid, then.
>
> Well that's rude.
>
> I ask a question that probably could be answered with a single sentence
> (ex "yes it is normal" ) and you give me crap for asking a simple
> question.
>
> What you couldn't even point me in the right direction ? Although i will
> assume based on your rudeness that i might find an answer in some hard
> to find documentation.
>
> I hope you do know that by being rude you will deter people from asking
> questions here and perhaps even stay away from this software due to the
> fact that people new to this software are treated this way.
>
> Even you ask questions, what would you say if you where new to a
> specific software and asked a question and got a rude response back.
>
> Well at least, thanks for the first response but remember what i said
> when you ask a question the next time.

Semil

Aug 3, 2010, 1:27:53 PM8/3/10
to msysGit
I just noticed and realized perhaps why you were rude.

I didn't realize i'd sent the response directly to you, i thought i
had sent it to the mailing list.

That i do apologize for, never really used mailing lists before it's
new to me how it works when sending responses but that i did send it
directly to you still doesn't excuse your rudeness.

(the above text is a copy, i did send this to your e-mail but i'm not
sure you got, based on your post, so i post it here too)

Still unsure how to send to the mailing list without going though
googlegroups web site.

By the way, was i not polite in this message, how was i abusive:
------------
Well if it only where that easy, it's not the ffmpeg repo.
sorry i guess i should have provided that info in my first post.
it's the mpc-hc repo, here's the exact command i used (warning this
command takes ages, about 1 - 2 days, git is fast but this is one
part
that is not):
git svn clone https://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mpc-hc/trunk
Link to mpc-hc project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/develop

This whole mess started by a tiny mistake, my mistake by sending a
response to your e-mail, and you escalated by sending a rude response.
Instead you could have notified me of my mistake and i would have
corrected it, now wasn't that simple ?

Maybe you didn't think, maybe you assumed i sent my response to your e-
mail on purpose, maybe you had a bad day, it doesn't really matter
since you just could have explained the rudeness later and i would
have understood but the fact is you didn't.

I have already apologized for sending the responses directly to your e-
mail (copy of e-mail at the top of this post) so what is the matter
now ?

Can you at least explain what i did wrong ?
If i don't know what i did wrong then i can't correct it.

On 3 Aug, 18:04, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schinde...@gmx.de>

Semil

Aug 10, 2010, 5:22:54 PM8/10/10
to msysGit
Can somebody (not having a bad year) help me answer this question
please ?

Even links to where i can find the answer will be fine (real, proper
links please (you know what i mean), i've had enough of a-holes,
pricks and strange people not explaining their actions, in this group)

But i still have hope for this group to find at least one person that
i can actually communicate with. (gosh! some people need to work on
their communication skills, no offense just a suggestion)

On 3 Aug, 19:27, Semil <semilc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed and realized perhaps why you were rude.
>
> I didn't realize i'd sent the response directly to you, i thought i
> had sent it to the mailing list.
>
> That i do apologize for, never really used mailing lists before it's
> new to me how it works when sending responses but that i did send it
> directly to you still doesn't excuse your rudeness.
>
> (the above text is a copy, i did send this to your e-mail but i'm not
> sure you got, based on your post, so i post it here too)
>
> Still unsure how to send to the mailing list without going though
> googlegroups web site.
>
> By the way, was i not polite in this message, how was i abusive:
> ------------
> Well if it only where that easy, it's not the ffmpeg repo.
> sorry i guess i should have provided that info in my first post.
> it's the mpc-hc repo, here's the exact command i used (warning this
> command takes ages, about 1 - 2 days, git is fast but this is one
> part
> that is not):
> git svn clonehttps://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mpc-hc/trunk

Thomas Berg

Aug 10, 2010, 6:07:18 PM8/10/10
to Semil, msysGit
Hello,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Semil <semi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can somebody (not having a bad year) help me answer this question
> please ?

Which question? From your e-mail I cannot figure out what question you
are referring to.

Note that on this list you should not top-post (and if you don't know
what that means you can google it, and you will find links like this
one: http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html).

Also note that you should reply-to-all (yes send e-mail directly to
everybody in the thread, in addition to sending to the mailing list).
In the previous reply you seem to have misunderstood and failed to do
this, even after being told to do so, and this can be annoying...

Thomas

Thomas Berg

Aug 11, 2010, 4:40:59 AM8/11/10
to Semil, msysGit
Hi again,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Thomas Berg <merl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Semil <semi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can somebody (not having a bad year) help me answer this question
>> please ?
>
> Which question? From your e-mail I cannot figure out what question you
> are referring to.

If the question is the on about "are -emtpy_dir warnings on files
normal?" when running git-svn, I think the answer is yes.

svn tracks directories, git doesn't, so empty directories cannot be
represented in git. Those warnings on files seem to tell you which
files that got deleted, causing an empty directory to be left in
place, in that particular svn commit being imported.

Thomas