Sneak peek of the upcoming Git for Windows 2.x

Visto 620 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Johannes Schindelin

no leída,
10 abr 2015, 7:43:3010/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,Git Mailing List
Dear all,

during the really exciting Git Merge conference, the Git for Windows developers had the opportunity to meet and we managed to whip out a *really* early beta of the upcoming Git for Windows 2.x series.

Please keep in mind that we not only changed our entire development environment, but that this change also affects end user installations quite a bit: as parts of Git are still written in shell and Perl, we have to ship a shell and Perl interpreter, too, which are naturally plucked from the development environment.

Of course that implies that there are probably still quite a couple of rough edges. Nevertheless, if you want to have a *really* early glimpse at the upcoming major release, feel free to give it a spin: https://git-for-windows.github.io/#download

Enjoy,
Johannes

rupert thurner

no leída,
11 abr 2015, 4:37:0711/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
excellent, i like it so much!! besides the obvious:
* the colors are fixed, so it is not any more dark red on black for added files, but red on black and readable
* installs with the necessary performance options
* the readme contains things i fell over in the past.

three things i do not like it so much:
* the old distinct icon is replaced by a new one which looks similar to many other programs, like google chrome. would it be possible to set the old icon?
* the prompt is still as slow as before, calculating the branch name on pressing return without option to turn it off
* it is talking german to me

would it be sufficient to delete
c:\Apps\gitwin\mingw64\share\locale\de\LC_MESSAGES\
resp the whole locale directory to let it speak english?

rupert.

Johannes Schindelin

no leída,
12 abr 2015, 13:51:3812/4/15
a rupert thurner,msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
Hi Rupert,

On 2015-04-11 10:37, rupert thurner wrote:

> three things i do not like it so much:
> * the old distinct icon is replaced by a new one which looks similar to
> many other programs, like google chrome. would it be possible to set the
> old icon?

Git 1.9.5 came with the Git icon already (the diamond with the branch in it) and now we simply have this "Windowsified". There was so much positive and uplifting feedback about it at the Git Merge (and besides, I really like the new icon myself), it is unlikely to change.

> * the prompt is still as slow as before, calculating the branch name on
> pressing return without option to turn it off

There is no explicit option in the installer to turn it off, but you can easily edit `/etc/profile.d/git-prompt.sh` to adjust it to your liking.

If you think that more people would want to have an option in the installer to switch it off, you should read https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Making-an-installer, edit /usr/src/build-extra/installer/install.iss.in after having a look at https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/commit/cbcf69b9 and open a Pull Request.

> * it is talking german to me
>
> would it be sufficient to delete
> c:\Apps\gitwin\mingw64\share\locale\de\LC_MESSAGES\
> resp the whole locale directory to let it speak english?

Probably. But the canonical solution is to set the `LC_ALL` or `LANG` environment variables accordingly.

Ciao,
Johannes

Konstantin Khomoutov

no leída,
13 abr 2015, 3:54:2313/4/15
a Johannes Schindelin,rupert thurner,msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:51:29 +0200
Johannes Schindelin <johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:

[...]
> > * it is talking german to me
> >
> > would it be sufficient to delete
> > c:\Apps\gitwin\mingw64\share\locale\de\LC_MESSAGES\
> > resp the whole locale directory to let it speak english?
>
> Probably. But the canonical solution is to set the `LC_ALL` or `LANG`
> environment variables accordingly.

JFTR, that won't probably fix `git gui` and `gitk` as they are started
directly, not via shell scripts, and hence are unaffected by whatever
tweaks are done in ~/.bashrc *unless* they're started from the
interactive Git bash shell and hence see that environment.

I would hence just stick LC_MESSAGES=en (or LC_ALL, or LANG) into the
environment variables (on the user's level) and solve this problem once
and for all future programs making use of Unix-y locale setup
conventions.

Tay Ray Chuan

no leída,
13 abr 2015, 4:32:5813/4/15
a rupert thurner,Johannes Schindelin,msy...@googlegroups.com,Git Mailing List
Hi Rupert,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2015-04-11 10:37, rupert thurner wrote:
> > * the prompt is still as slow as before, calculating the branch name on
> > pressing return without option to turn it off
>
> There is no explicit option in the installer to turn it off, but you can easily edit `/etc/profile.d/git-prompt.sh` to adjust it to your liking.
>
> If you think that more people would want to have an option in the installer to switch it off, you should read https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Making-an-installer, edit /usr/src/build-extra/installer/install.iss.in after having a look at https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/commit/cbcf69b9 and open a Pull Request.

Personally I edit it away from PS1:
https://github.com/rctay/msysgit/commit/4038833505bc2c088524546e923d64d69c0fa37f

--
Cheers,
Ray Chuan

Vitaly

no leída,
15 abr 2015, 3:17:4315/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
 feel free to give it a spin: https://git-for-windows.github.io/#download

I have installed msysgit 1.9.4, installing git for windows 2.3.5.8 (into default localtion and with "use from Windows command prompt") and call "git --version" still give me  msysgit1.9.4
I have delete gfw 2.3.5.8 and msysgit 1.9.4, install gfw 2.3.5.8 once again (and check "use from Windows command prompt") and now I have:
C:\>git
error launching git:      .

I see C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin in my PATH (from old installs?), but did not see this directory (bin) under Git installation

Johannes Schindelin

no leída,
15 abr 2015, 5:46:2215/4/15
a Vitaly,msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
Hi Vitaly,

On 2015-04-15 09:17, Vitaly wrote:

>> feel free to give it a spin: https://git-for-windows.github.io/#download
>>

> I have installed msysgit 1.9.4, installing git for windows 2.3.5.8 (into
> default localtion and with "use from Windows command prompt")

Which version, 32-bit or 64-bit? PortableGit or regular Git?

> and call "git --version" still give me msysgit1.9.4

And the path was not adjusted at all? That would be strange indeed.

> I have delete gfw 2.3.5.8 and msysgit 1.9.4, install gfw 2.3.5.8 once again
> (and check "use from Windows command prompt") and now I have:
> C:\>git
> error launching git: .
>
> I see C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin in my PATH (from old installs?), but
> did not see this directory (bin) under Git installation

There is explicit code to modify the PATH environment variable when you choose the "from Windows command prompt" option: https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/blob/4fdceef37514d1b35d524a8752ccf4e7ad778f60/installer/install.iss.in#L1163-L1177

Just to make sure, you are certain that the PATH variable is not touched, even if you reinstall (without uninstalling Git for Windows first)?

Ciao,
Johannes

Vitaly

no leída,
15 abr 2015, 8:22:1115/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,vital...@gmail.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
> C:\>git
> error launching git:      .

I have found the root of problem in broken git-wrapper: old git-wrapper in msysgit repository uses case-insensitive path comparison after calling GetModuleFileName (in my case there is "git.EXE"). This is my dummy fix: https://github.com/vitalyster/git/commit/c1904dbee2aab59b5dc213960dfb2481c8d7a1bf

rupert thurner

no leída,
29 abr 2015, 11:23:1329/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 1:43:30 PM UTC+2, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
after using it now for a couple of weeks every week or so, on windows-7, git-receive-pack.exe hangs from time to time and cannot be killed any more. i start it either with
  git fetch --all -p
  git push

it looks like it does not take any signals at all. no ctrl-c in the mintty, nor a kill via sysinternals process explorer. up to now only reboot helped, but pretty sure i miss something here.

best,
rupert

Johannes Schindelin

no leída,
29 abr 2015, 11:40:5229/4/15
a rupert thurner,msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org
Hi Rupert,
Please, it is really, really crucial that you specify precisely what version of the package you talk about. It is tempting to say something like "windows-7" or "I used Git for Windows", but please keep in mind that this is hardly specific. Windows 7 can be anything between 32-bit and 64-bit, with or without service packs, in administrator mode or user mode. Git for Windows is even worse because we bundle packages into a single installer. However, from the way you describe things I imagine that you used a version of the installer. The installer contains a file that lists the individual package versions, therefore it should be good enough to specify which version `git version` reports.

Please make a point of including all of this information in your bug reports to make it easier for the people who you ask for help.

Ciao,
Johannes

rupert thurner

no leída,
29 abr 2015, 18:12:0429/4/15
a msy...@googlegroups.com,g...@vger.kernel.org,rupert....@gmail.com
uh, yes, you are right, there are 2 other releases since you wrote this mail. windows 7 enterprise, service pack 1, 64 bit
Git-2.3.5.8-dev-preview-64-bit.exe
   $ git --version
   git version 2.3.5.windows.8
the user is non-administrative, which is able to intall apps as admin after clicking. i'll install Git-2.3.7.1-dev-preview-64-bit.exe and write again if the behaviour is still there.

rupert

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar