Configuring fails on Cygwin64

Jean-Pierre Flori

May 26, 2013, 3:32:27 PM5/26/13
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The Cygwin folks are working hard on Cygwin64.
I tried to install MPIR 2.6.0 on top of that but the config.guess shipped with MPIR failed when trying to get where it was building on.
In fact this file is quite old, from 2003 according to the timestamp spit within the error message, the latest upstream seems to be frequently updated.
Using the latest upstream config.guess (in top level dir, yasm and yasm/config subdirs, I also updated config.sub) let MPIR configure (and then build, I cannot promise the result is functional though yet).

Best,
JP

leif

May 26, 2013, 3:43:31 PM5/26/13
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com
For the top-level dir, I assume you're talking about configfsf.{guess,sub}.

You may still have to modify the top-level config.guess as well though.

-leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/\ Help Cure HTML E-Mail

Jean-Pierre Flori

May 26, 2013, 5:05:15 PM5/26/13
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com
Don't really know, it's late here so I just replaced the config.* files as suggested by the error message without giving it more thoughts and it just worked.
I did not try to autoreconf or anything else or even really think about it.

leif

May 26, 2013, 5:45:46 PM5/26/13
to mpir-...@googlegroups.com
Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
> On Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:43:31 PM UTC+2, leif wrote:
>
> Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > The Cygwin folks are working hard on Cygwin64.
> > I tried to install MPIR 2.6.0 on top of that but the config.guess
> > shipped with MPIR failed when trying to get where it was building
> on.
> > In fact this file is quite old, from 2003 according to the timestamp
> > spit within the error message, the latest upstream seems to be
> > frequently updated.
> > Using the latest upstream config.guess (in top level dir, yasm and
> > yasm/config subdirs, I also updated config.sub) let MPIR
> configure (and
> > then build, I cannot promise the result is functional though yet).
>
> For the top-level dir, I assume you're talking about
> configfsf.{guess,sub}.
>
> You may still have to modify the top-level config.guess as well though.
>

> Don't really know, it's late here so I just replaced the config.* files
> as suggested by the error message without giving it more thoughts and it
> just worked.

The generic config.{guess,sub} alone are pretty useless for GMP/MPIR and
the like, as they don't return / support any specific CPU type (beyond
what usually 'uname -m' or 'uname -p' gives).

Just take a look at the original files; they're wrappers around the
generic ones (which have been renamed to configfsf.*).

> I did not try to autoreconf

That's not necessary.

Bill Hart

May 26, 2013, 6:54:18 PM5/26/13
to mpir-devel
That's correct. MPIR uses its own config.guess, but it uses the original fsf version to give it a bootstrap.

Bill.