MPF User Survey 2018

jabdoa

Apr 26, 2018, 5:31:16 PM4/26/18
to MPF Users
Hi,

since MPF does not send any data home, we do not know how people are using MPF. Therefore, we decided to conduct a user survey this year: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeaufA2kIU7cIFx2kcnvTcpwsBiYqEzt0pAQ7ZIgeYPkp7wTg/viewform. It is only 15 questions so please give us some feedback.

Jan

jabdoa

Jun 1, 2018, 2:46:02 PM6/1/18
to MPF Users
Survey is closed. We thanks you all for participating. We got 46 responses which exceeded our expectations. See below for a charts. Some key facts:

- Only 57% of our users are from the US
- There is no single main platform
- About 27% of our users develop on a Mac and about 60% on Windows
- Over 50% of the machine run on Linux
- A lot of the tools around MPF are not well known

MPF 0.51 will be based on the feedback of the survey and focus on usability and documentation. This will include adding a lot more config snippets to the documentation and making sure that all documented snippets actually work using automated tests. Furthermore, we try to make error messages more helpful and try to document everything which is asked in this forum. Besides those changes there will also be some bugfixes and performance improvements. Of course, there will also be a few new features but probably not many and also there will be no migration required. Since it was requested multiple times in the survey I will write a tutorial about designing your game modes. We will also document some more of our tools and promote them through the tutorial and around the docs to make them better known (a lot of people asked for tools which already exist).

I got one request: If you got a nice example which is missing from the docs please send it to us. Either using this forum or as a PR (http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/about/contributing_to_mpf_docs.html). Any images, charts, snippets, howtos or descriptions are welcome. (You may want to check the dev documentation for the latest version: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/).

Jan

Anthony van Winkle

Jun 1, 2018, 2:53:55 PM6/1/18
to MPF Users
Awesome, thanks Jan! When you come across a specific area of usability/documentation that needs attention or a specific tutorial to be written, please let me know and I'd be happy to contribute :)

Adam Godfrey

Jun 12, 2018, 9:38:27 AM6/12/18
to MPF Users
I'm also committed to writing some tutorials when I upgrade to .50/.51 thank you so much for all you do!

jabdoa

Jun 12, 2018, 3:37:41 PM6/12/18
to MPF Users
Thank you both for the offer. Any help is welcome. Feel free to send examples, small explanations and everything else. I fixed the last todo in the docs today so I don't see anything essential what is missing. You probably know that better than I do. If you see something missing please add a todo or go ahead and write it. This is how open source works.

Jan