Web Literacy standard - introductions

Doug Belshaw

Feb 7, 2013, 6:56:04 AM2/7/13
Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)

This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:

=====
I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.

I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)

Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug <at> mozillafoundation <dot> org
=====

Doug Belshaw
Badges & Skills Lead
Mozilla Foundation

jane...@adamsmith.ac.uk

Feb 7, 2013, 7:02:56 AM2/7/13
I am Janet Fyfe from Adam Smith College. Currently teaching IT literacy skills including units in Internet and Online Communications and Social Software. I am interested in learning more about this development to see how this might integrate with the courses we currently offer in further education in Scotland.

Alvar Maciel

Feb 7, 2013, 7:30:08 AM2/7/13
I am Alvar Maciel from Argentina. I'm a teacher, and now I'm coordinating the inclusion of digital technologies in a school. We are continuously searching and trying to learn how to use and produce knowledge for the community.
I'ts hard to me explain my job in English so... here is a video :) http://aequalis.esc.edu.ar/tics.html

sjgknight

Feb 7, 2013, 9:52:06 AM2/7/13
I'm Simon Knight (PhD Student), I'm interested in search engines in education, how we think about what they're doing (providing knowledge, etc.) and how students interact with them. My website (and blog) is http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/knight/ and I think everyone should watch this video on use of the internet in Danish exams http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8341589.stm

Santiago Ferreira

Feb 7, 2013, 10:32:02 AM2/7/13
to Doug Belshaw, webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

I'm Santiago Ferreira, I live in Tacuarembo, Uruguay, here I teach in
a technical school, http://www.utu.edu.uy/ html basics and how to
repair a computer to children around 15 to 30 years. Also I work as a
Moodle administrator in the UDELAR http://universidad.edu.uy/

I'm happy and proud to be a ReMo and a Mozillian :)

Here is my blog http://sanux.net/blog/

see you

Santiago

ju...@fabspaces.cc

Feb 7, 2013, 11:07:59 AM2/7/13
Hi, I'm Juan Gonzalez, a technologist in Toronto, Canada. I teach programming for the web at the University of Toronto, but I also have two kids who push me to figure out new and innovative ways to teach them technology. I've developed a series of workshops that use simple fabrication techniques to introduce them to the world of electronics and programming. That program is called http://FabSpaces.cc and our most successful workshop is called the "Magic Cubes". I would love to figure out ways to make sure the things they learn through these workshops are skills that advance them towards a broader digital literacy certification.

ljan...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2013, 11:08:06 AM2/7/13
I'm Lou Buran. I teach English Language Arts at a rural high school in Northern California (Corning Union High School). I have been doing work to prepare for the adoption of the Common Core Standards in ELA. I will be teaching new courses that focus on literacy and technology next year. Course work is on http://cuhs.net. I am interested in doing the same type of thinking about technology that I have been doing over the last couple of years in ELA.

Ethan Crawford

Feb 7, 2013, 11:16:15 AM2/7/13
Hi I'm Ethan, and I come from Denver, Colorado, where I work at the DU Graduate School of Social Work as an Instructional Technologist. I'm also a grad student of international studies and GIS. And I work with the University Sustainability Council, where we're just beginning to discuss informational sustainability (and seeking examples of this among academic institutions??).

It's exciting to see Mozilla spearhead this effort in web literacy. As a technologist and knowledge worker (and quasi political scientist), I'm always pleased to see examples of web-literate citizenship, and I'm interested to help the project as I can.

Ethan
@ethang

ohnop...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2013, 11:47:38 AM2/7/13
Hi all,

I'm Paul Oh, Senior Program Associate with the National Writing Project (http://www.nwp.org and http://digitalis.nwp.org). We're a distributed network of educators who focus on the teaching of writing - in its broadest sense - throughout the United States. I work with on a number of initiatives that involves digital literacies - with educators in school and out engaged in those practices, as well as with other organizations and institutions.

Very interested and appreciative of Doug's work on the Web Literacy standards and looking forward to participating.

-Paul Oh

Will Barkis

Feb 7, 2013, 12:22:16 PM2/7/13
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone!

Great first call! I'm Will Barkis and I'm the Project Lead for a partnership Mozilla has with the US National Science Foundation to create a community of practice building high impact applications and services in areas of public benefit like education, public safety and health that are enabled by the ultra fast programmable networks that are beginning to crop up in places like Kansas City with Google Fiber, Chattanooga, TN with their 1 Gbps fiber network, etc. How can we help people in these communities make new things, learn in new ways, be healthier, happier, and safer using the web of the future? It's essential that people build up their web literacies as we break down the distances between people and resources of empowerment and knowledge. Access is so essential.

I'm also very interested in the literacies that we as citizens, lawmakers and policymakers need to make informed decisions about these technologies and their use in society.

Really looking forward to taking this somewhere amazing with everyone else involved!

Will
--
Will Barkis, PhD
Project Lead Mozilla Ignite

fish...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2013, 1:02:00 PM2/7/13
Hi everyone,

Great to hear about everyone's interests and to meet you all. I'm Tom, based in the UK and also loosely attached to Sussex university in the UK as a research assistant in international education and development, so focusing particularly on education problems in the majority world poorer countries.

I'm also thrilled that Mozilla has taken up this very important challenge and is leading the way and doing such innovative and exciting things with it. I'm half Australian, and first taught English as a second language for many years and also worked as a literacy teacher particularly with refugees in secondary state schools in Australia. At the moment I am working on a wiki mapping project on open education resources, virtual schools and virtual colleges around the world in different countries which is winding up here:

http://www.virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/VISCED

I'm interested in looking at literacy from different angles, but I tend to see it as both as a tool for people and as an important part of their realities. I have often seen how fundamental literacy is to empowering people to make the changes they value in their own worlds, and I feel that digital literacy holds the same potential. But I think that this area often gets shallow investment and at least in international education it needs champions (for example globally an organisation like UNESCO has 'held the flame' since the 1950's) to stick together and help each other by making partnerships. Literacy also often gets a rap, often being seen to be treated as a public good of low value. In terms of digital literacy in education, in worst case scenarios this might only focus getting people on-line and using a browser or elementary tools to be I guess 'functionally literate' (and often these concepts can remain unclear in discussions about literacy generally). I think the concept of a framework for web-literacy that could be transformational to people's lives, ties in with ideas about digital citizenship and is about really making learning that is powerful and challenges our expectations of the future is actually an awesome idea (whose time has clearly come :)

So anyway, there is so much going on in Mozilla's work and I'm mainly following Doug's blog and listening in to learn as I go - but at the moment I am not working on anything particularly focusing on web-literacy for now myself.

Cheers

Tom Salmon

Gicela Morales

Feb 8, 2013, 5:42:47 AM2/8/13
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

I'm Gicela Morales. I live in the South West of England, in a village near
Bristol. I've been developing for the web since the 90s and I've been
helping teachers and children in my local primary school creating stuff for
the web. I'm running my first code party for my children and their friends
next week, which I'm very much looking forward to. I hope to find a venue
where I can get reliable wifi and be able to have a larger group of kids -
hard when you live in a village!

Digital literacy should be at the core of the school curriculum and should
start at primary school :)

Best wishes,
Gicela

Gicela Morales
www.gicelamorales.com
@gicela
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gicela

Michelle Thorne

Feb 8, 2013, 11:45:51 AM2/8/13
to Gicela Morales, webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey Gicela,

Thanks for writing! And best of luck with your first code party.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Gicela Morales <gic...@mexicanwave.com>wrote:

> I hope to find a venue where I can get reliable wifi and be able to have
> a larger group of kids -
> hard when you live in a village!

On suggestion to try out (and sorry, it's beta) is to use the hashtag
#mozhelp and ask the larger community if someone has a venue in your area
that they can offer.

For example: "I'm running a code party with youth in __ and wondering if
anyone can lend their venue with wifi? #mozhelp"

And we'll help spread the word.

It's a new protocol, but hopefully a useful one!

// m

> Digital literacy should be at the core of the school curriculum and should
> start at primary school :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Gicela
>
> Gicela Morales
> www.gicelamorales.com
> @gicela
> http://uk.linkedin.com/in/gicela

csan...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2013, 8:13:10 AM2/9/13
Hello! I'm Chad Sansing. I am a National Writing Project Teacher Consultant/Connected Learning Ambassador. I teach middle school humanities for the Community Public Charter School in Albemarle County, VA, USA. I live nearby in Waynesboro. I'm keenly interested in Web Literacies because I want my kids and students to be able, quite literally, to make what they need out of the future both digitally and materially.

All the best,

ibrar...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2013, 4:28:56 PM2/10/13
Hi, all

Copy and paste below:

I'm Ibrar and I'm a PhD candidate at the University of Leeds. My study looks at digital literacies of college students and how they use what they have to get what they need in the classroom, when left to their own devices (pun intended). Doug, your EdD thesis is a great resource.

Digital literacies, both as skills and social practices, are key to this in the bricolage of digital literacy practices of learners.

This sounds like a really great project, and I'm interested in knowing how it will complement the work of others such as the New London Group, and also the extent to which the competences outlined in the Mozilla Wiki (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Learning/WebLiteracies) impinge on computer science knowledge, especially at the higher levels.

Great to meet you all, and looking forward to learning and contributing.

Cheers

Ibrar Bhatt

http://ibrarspace.net
https://twitter.com/linguistics12
http://leeds.academia.edu/IbrarBhatt/About
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/ibrar-bhatt/47/b81/976
http://prezi.com/user/ib

dom...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2013, 5:28:13 AM2/12/13
Hi all - I'm Donal O' Mahony from Dublin, Ireland. I teach in Portmarnock Community School where I am involved in many digital initiatives. I blog frequently at eLearningIsland and wrote my Masters dissertation around critical thinking in teaching history in online forums.

I am interested in Web Literacy because it means different things to different people! I believe its definition should be dynamic and full of possibilities for practice.

I also think it is important that Mozilla support this initiative - positive baggage!

Donal

Twitter: @domaho

elys...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2013, 7:49:28 AM2/12/13
Hi everyone,

I'm Elyse Eidman-Aadahl, and I direct National Programs and Site Development for the National Writing Project network in the United States. I'm based in Berkeley, California at the University of California. The NWP is the largest/oldest network of educators in the US focused explicitly on supporting young people as writers/producers, and that means we have a huge interest in digital tools and web literacies since these are tremendously powerful tools for writers/thinkers/content developers to create, circulate, and participate locally and globally. You can see some of what NWP teachers are doing at our Digital Is community website. We maintain about 190 local sites at housed at universities across the US (and a few abroad) as well as supporting learning opportunities on the Internet. We are pleased to partner with Mozilla Foundation on a range of efforts that involve people in creating, and not just consuming, on the web.

Elyse

Carla Casilli

Feb 12, 2013, 6:48:24 PM2/12/13
Hello all,

I'm Carla Casilli, Mozilla Web Literacies / Webmaker Badges Lead. Currently I hail from Los Angeles, CA. Previously I headed up the Open Badges project and still love to talk about it, so watch out. :) In this role I'm applying the amazing theory of Open Badges to Mozilla's Web Literacies: to say I'm excited about how this all ties together is an understatement.

I'm also the Mozilla point person for discussions about badge system design. How does all this tie together? Literacies of all sorts fascinate me, e.g., their recursive qualities, their replication, their dissemination, their systemic nature. I'm looking forward to working with all of you to co-create a new standard——a standard that will be expressed through a variety of means but will become social currency through the exchange and use of web literacy badges. To stay abreast of our thinking on the universe of web literacy badges (current goal: a badge system network that acknowledges and includes badges from organizations that align with the new standard) read my blog: http://carlacasilli.wordpress.com

BTW, I use my gmail address here but the best way to reach me is through my work address. Carla at mozillafoundation [dot] org.

Mark Surman

Feb 13, 2013, 9:34:04 AM2/13/13
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Mark Surman here. I live in Toronto and work for Mozilla.

I'm excited to be digging into this discussion about what web literacy
means when we break it down. Even more: I want to see how we can
translate that into a series of Mozilla Webmaker badges that anyone can
offer.

Great to see the group forming around this conversation. I'm already
humbled and impressed that such a solid posse is forming.

ms

Tanya Prescott

Feb 14, 2013, 4:12:06 AM2/14/13
Hi I'm Tanya Prescott and I work as a teacher and a learning technologist. I teach ICT and Politics which is a fascinating combination when it comes to digital literacy and getting students to engage critically with what they find on the web.

I am currently exploring different methods of flip teaching with students as well as mentoring other teachers to embed learning technologies and digital literacy in to their lessons. This is really interesting too because it opens up a whole new perspective on the issue of web literacy. I am learning so much in the process. Sometimes my head hurts too :) But most of the time I feel privileged to be alive in a time when so much creativity and change is occurring and I am looking forward to seeing how web literacy evolves...

Tanya
@flippedteaching

dorine...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2013, 7:31:41 AM2/14/13
I'm Dorine, I'm the HR director for ionCube we are in Canterbury East Kent, I'm exploring how to get young people to be "Digital Makers" and web literacy is a massive part of it, especially as an interest based pathway to learning, it's a very powerful needs based reason to engage using tech as the facilitator.

I've committed for 2013 to do a Free "Digital Makers" physical event every 3 months hosted by EPIK, our first large scale event is next week 22nd- 24th FEB 19 IT mentors and 46 young people aged 8 - 25 across 4 East Kent hubs, "Code the world around you" - The aim of that event is not to turn them into coders but for them to experience the process of creating their own WebApp using open data sources, as a tester of what it is to be in our industry including a show and tell, prizes and judges.

I am also starting to invite teachers to also be mentors so that they in turn can bring this back to their schools independently to me knocking at their doors - so far I've had 2 school teachers signed up, interestingly as a result quite a few of their students are also taking part in our Feb event.

For more details http://epik.org.uk/epikwiki/index.php/EPIK_Mentor
http://www.meetup.com/EPIK-UK anyone interested please do join us

dorine...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2013, 8:18:35 AM2/14/13
On Thursday, 7 February 2013 12:02:56 UTC, jane...@adamsmith.ac.uk wrote:
> I am Janet Fyfe from Adam Smith College. Currently teaching IT literacy skills including units in Internet and Online Communications and Social Software. I am interested in learning more about this development to see how this might integrate with the courses we currently offer in further education in Scotland.

Hi Janet, have you heard of the YRS (Young rewired State)? They are doing YRS Scotland now http://youngrewiredstate.org, we hosted the first Kent YRS2012 last August, I found the whole thing addictive, it was in part responsible for us committing to doing coding based events every 3 months in 2013 for Kent youths.

One of them especially went from MineCraft to building his own apps at home, age 10 just because we hosted :)

aranu...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2013, 12:18:54 PM2/14/13
Hello everyone,

I am Anurag Ramdasan. 22 year old computer engineer from India planning to apply for a masters course in US.
I love programming and I try to learn as much as I can online about programming and other related topics.

Kevin Stranack

Feb 14, 2013, 12:43:09 PM2/14/13
to aranu...@gmail.com, webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

It has been great to read about everyone's background and interests. My
name is Kevin Stranack and I'm a librarian and educator working on a
variety of online learning initiatives. I'm just starting a new project
that will be developing a new province-wide digital literacy space, a kind
of virtual learning commons, and will rely heavily on the amazing work done
by Mozilla on digital literacy standards, badges, and more. I'm very
excited by the opportunity to work with and learn from all of you in this
new community we're building together.

All the best,
Kevin
@stranack

sil...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2013, 1:04:03 PM2/14/13

Hi I'm Silona

I live in Austin Texas but I travel a ton. I have taught for many years on a collegiate level and have recently (because of nieces and nephews) become more involved in k-12 education here in the US. I helped create the developer site for the Gate Foundation's inBloom project. And I have created curriculums for developing countries and a technical college. I am involved in semantic web technologies and bigdata analytics so I like to watch and participate in various web standards.

Once again very happy to see Mozilla getting involved in this! I also attended the first Drumbeat in Barcelona and LOVED it.

Cheers!

Beth

Feb 14, 2013, 1:18:53 PM2/14/13
Hi, I'm Beth Ayer from Providence RI. I am a web editor with a background in writing and in teaching English/writing. I am mostly interested in web writing standards, website structure/design, and in communicating standards and guidelines to content providers I work with. I am also interested in digital literacy as it relates to reading and writing literacy (new forms of writing, messaging, sharing information, interpreting and understanding). I am joining this group to learn and to see if I have any way of contributing to the project.
Message has been deleted

Martyn Eggleton

Feb 15, 2013, 4:50:16 AM2/15/13
I am Martyn Eggleton from Sheffield England.

I'm Technical Projects Manager @ Access Space ( access-space.org ) we are a creativity focused, peer learning powered, Media Lab that has run for nearly 13 years on FLOSS software & recycled hardware.

We have always struggled to record peer learning and then align that to recognised standards so this initiative is really interesting to us.

Matt Thompson

Feb 15, 2013, 2:11:23 PM2/15/13
to Mozilla Webmaker list
Hi, everyone. I'm Matt Thompson from Toronto, aka @OpenMatt.

This year I'll be focusing a lot on Webmaker's storytelling and web presence for mentors --
instructors, educators, techies and anyone interested in helping to spread web literacy.
So I've really been enjoying getting to virtually know you all through this thread. :)

One of the things I'm working on right now is a new mentor page on webmaker.org.
It will link to the web literacy work Doug's been spearheading, plus our our various resources and tools for teaching digital literacy.
i just blogged about it here:

Creating a new webmaker.org page for mentors
http://mzl.la/mentor_page

Looking forward to getting to know you all better this year. :)

--Matt

ojon...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2013, 3:46:11 PM2/15/13
to Mozilla Webmaker list
Hello,

I`m Owain Jones and I`m a Social Studies teacher at an international school in Monterrey, Mexico. I`m originally from Middlesbrough, England. My interest stems from a desire for students to have a visible measure of the progress they have made in developing their web literacy.........

tom salmon

Feb 15, 2013, 7:38:44 PM2/15/13
to Matt Thompson, Mozilla Webmaker list
Hi,

Nice to say hello :) Just to introduce myself, my name is Tom Salmon, I am an ex-literacy teacher and now research assistant in the UK at the university of Sussex. I am looking forward to learning a lot more about the efforts to spread and develop standards for Web-literacy and am excited by the awesome ideas that have been proposed so far. Currently I am working as a consultant on an EU funded project to map Open Educational Resources and investments in infrastructure and e-learning initiatives particularly looking at mapping virtual schools and colleges around the world. The link is here:

The wiki for different countries is here:
http://www.virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/VISCED

I am also joining in with the general discussion and learning going on with the ETMOOC community on Google+ which is looking at Web-literacy next week.

Looking forward to getting to know you all !

Best

Tom

________________________________

Anne-Florence Dujardin

Feb 20, 2013, 5:52:48 AM2/20/13
Hello
I'm Florence Dujardin and until last year, I was senior lecturer in business and online communication at Sheffield Hallam University. I found myself more and more interested in staff development, so I switched roles (and institution) and hope to help my new colleages at Writtle College develop their digital literacies and enhance their teaching and learning practies.
Best regards to all
Florence

jennp...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2013, 1:03:54 PM2/20/13
Hi, I'm Jenn Peters from Seneca College in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I'm the Teaching and Learning Technologies Librarian so I spend my day building learning objects, conducting workshops for various technologies, and am part of a team that's starting to build a Digital Literacies Program for our faculty and students.

I'm really interested to hear about Mozilla's efforts and would love to chat!

Marc Stephan Nkouly

Feb 20, 2013, 5:13:25 PM2/20/13

Please i wish to know if there are some program that adult can follow to get access to university course later ?
am a school drop out passionate about the web and information systems in organisations so i wish to go back to university but o don't know whish program i can follow online.
talking about DIGITAL LITERACY i believe if we agree on a curriculum it will help so many people get started but on the other hand i believe se should not ignore the fact is far more easier for someone following academic curriculum to find his way with web technology that someone who did not when to university
Am currently living in Africa and i will like to collaborate with any one interested in guiding me teach more people to become web literate .
Thanks in advance

Marc Stephan Nkouly

Feb 20, 2013, 6:53:22 PM2/20/13
Good Morning everyone
am sorry if it will be as if am repeating my self but i first wrote a little introduction of my self replying to ""Jennifer Peters""
Am a young man (Drop out of education) compare to every one am seen here am really afraid because i don't have the basics to go to university.
Am Currently working in a cyber cafe in Africa and i love the web and information systems in fact i believe in the power of internet.
i am interested in digital literacy because i believe it can help people have access to the information they need and describe the world with their own words.
i welcome to collaborate with everyone to organise workshop on web maker with people who have very few knowledge of the internet and even computers.
thanks

vere...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 11:00:24 AM2/21/13
Hello-
Verena Roberts from The Open Classroom with ADLC (Alberta Distance Learning Centre)I'm based in Calgary, AB
I work with students from k-12 to develop and create open online projects that promote collaboration and community. I am really interested in seeing stages and options in digital literacy to help me with the learning design in my open projects.

Verena :)

vere...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 12:05:36 PM2/21/13

Chris Lawrence

Feb 21, 2013, 12:19:03 PM2/21/13
to vere...@gmail.com, webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Short answer is yes.. More details soon

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Feb 21, 2013, 2:10:56 PM2/21/13
Hi all,
I'm robin fay (@georgiawebgurl), librarian, web tinker, artist, lifelong learner (not in any particular order)...
I'm really interested in semantic web technologies and data especially as relates to the arts. ACRL (Assoc. of College & Research Libraries) has been working on visual literacy standards http://www.ala.org/acrl/standards/visualliteracy which include metadata interpretation. So, that is what I am interested in - the crossroads of human and machine, art and technology. Very excited to have stumbled across this project.
have a great day,
robin

amand...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 4:26:21 PM2/21/13
Hi ! I'm Mandy Knapp and I work for the State Library of Ohio. Libraries are really working with the general population to develop digital skills. We just had a big announcement about it today, in fact: http://www.library.ohio.gov/lpd/everyoneon

amand...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 4:30:36 PM2/21/13
Hi Robin!

amand...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 4:33:01 PM2/21/13
ALSO, I should mention that I am working on a grant right now to put Americorp volunteers in rural Ohio libraries to teach digital literacy skills.

Laura Hilliger

Feb 22, 2013, 4:52:07 AM2/22/13
to webmaker@lists.mozilla.org list
Hi everyone,

I'm Laura Hilliger and this year, like Matt, I'll be focusing on mentors, instructors, techies, and generally anyone or any organization working to spread web literacies. I'll help Matt find stories to tell, but I'll also help the mentor community understand what we're doing and how it is relevant to their specific contexts.

I could be very long-winded about why, but I'll just say I'm looking forward to working on #weblitstd further, and I'm keen to see how people take pieces and parts of such a standard and run in their own fascinating directions.

All the best,
Laura

Laura Hilliger
Mozilla Foundation
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Webmaker/Teach
www.zythepsary.com
@epilepticrabbit

artif...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2013, 12:17:32 PM2/22/13
Hi everyone,

I am Art Oglesby from Minnesota, USA. I am designing a Wordpress based learning environment where a community of learners/mentors can gather to practice digital literacies.

fulle...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2013, 5:27:44 PM2/23/13
I'm Sean Fullerton, a PhD student from the University of Washington in Seattle and interested in bridging gaps between informal and formal learning.

marina...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2013, 3:14:53 PM2/25/13
On Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:56:04 PM UTC+1, Doug Belshaw wrote:
> Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)
>

> This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:
>

> =====
>
> I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.
>

> I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)
>

> Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug mozillafoundation org

christian briggs

Feb 26, 2013, 2:13:42 PM2/26/13
Hi everyone. I'm a little late joining this party. Hopefully fashionably, though unintentionally, so.
I am Christian Briggs, PhD Candidate at Indiana University and co-founder of SociaLens. I am originally from Massachusetts (US) and now live in Bloomington, Indiana (also US). I spend most of my time trying to help people answer the question "Why do some social computing activities seem to work in some organizational situations and not in others?" Digital/web literacy is a big part of the answer, so i am thrilled to be here, and to help out and learn in whatever ways i can.

di...@graberproductions.com

Feb 28, 2013, 12:15:48 PM2/28/13
On Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:56:04 AM UTC-8, Doug Belshaw wrote:
> Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)
>

> This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:
>

> =====
>
> I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.
>

> I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)
>

> Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug <at> mozillafoundation <dot> org
>
> =====
>

> Doug Belshaw
>
> Badges & Skills Lead
>
> Mozilla Foundation

Hello! I'm Diana Graber from CyberWise. We're an organization that helps grownups understand and use digital media. We've been designing a media literacy program that will be going out to schools in CA soon, and are busy putting the same materials into a badging program for adults. Additionally, I developed and teach "cyber civics" to middle school students, and am Adjunct Faculty at MSPP teaching "Media Psychology for the 21st Century"... covering many of these topics.

I'm so excited about this group (thank you for including me) because I'm passionate about bringing this information to all of these groups - K-8 students, graduate students, and grownups.

liebe...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2013, 3:16:09 PM2/28/13
Hello! I'm Cynthia Lieberman(clieb...@cyberwise.org) in Los Angeles and co-founder of CyberWise.org ("No Grownups Left Behind"). We are dedicated to helping adults/parents/educators understand and use digital media, and I'm honored and excited to engage with this group.

We are also finalists from the 2012 DML Mozilla Badge Competition and are interested in learning how badges can be used in the context of teaching media literacy. In addition to Cyberwise, I serve as a Social Media and Marketing Consultant for companies large and small and am on the 2013 National Association of Media Literacy in Education (NAMLE) Conference planning committee, which takes place July 11-12, 2013 in Los Angeles. Thanks for including us!
clieb...@cyberwise.org; @BeCyberwise @liebermanc

da...@plml.org

Mar 6, 2013, 9:50:48 AM3/6/13
Greetings all,

I'm Dave Crusoe from The Public Learning Media Laboratory, and I'm really excited that Mozilla has taken a lead in defining web literacy standards. How great!

Over the past year, here at PLML, we have been reconciling the various digital literacies to understand their correspondences, to identify what might be missing, and to figure out how we can help US educators deliver quality comprehensive instruction. The Common Core is looming near for most of our educational allies, and so the additional step we're taking is to map between educational 'digital literacy' objectives and Common Core via (we hope) really cool lessons and instruction.

I'm really looking forward to learning through the process here, contributing what I can, and helping some great web literacy standards to emerge!

Cheers,
--Dave

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:56:04 AM UTC-5, Doug Belshaw wrote:
> Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)
>

> This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:
>

> =====
>
> I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.
>

> I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)
>

> Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug mozillafoundation org

Alina Mierlus

Mar 7, 2013, 11:05:19 AM3/7/13
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

I'm Alina, from Barcelona - I love open standards and informal
learning (as I acquired most of my tech. and non-tech skills through
participating in various community initiatives).

I've been interested in "teaching the web" and engaging more people to
build the web since I was a student, running events for the Students
WebLab during University.

My specific interest is on the server side: how to get more web users
understand the client - server communication paradigm and make easier
for webmakers build their own local web services.

Looking forward to a fruitful conversation on this list/call.

-Alina

--
Alina Mierlus
@alina_mierlus

Ian O'Byrne

Mar 7, 2013, 12:18:01 PM3/7/13
Hi all,

My name is Ian O'Byrne. I'm currently an Assistant Professor of Educational Technologies at the University of New Haven. I'm also the coordinator of the Instructional Technology and Digital Media Literacy program here at UNH. The IT&DML program is designed to develop the expertise needed by teachers to authentically and effectively integrate technology into their curriculum. The IT&DML program is framed on open ed standards, critical literacy, and new literacies theory and research.

I'm also interested in possible use of digital badges as part of this program.

You can reach me at wiob...@gmail.com, or wiob...@newhaven.edu, or Google+, or @wiobyrne

Kevin Turner

Mar 7, 2013, 12:27:47 PM3/7/13
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

I've been lurking for a bit, but now that I've dialed in for a few calls I
think I should chime in here.

My name is Kevin Turner, I live in Portland, Oregon (USA). I'm a software
developer; I owe a lot to open source for that. I like to see people
excited about their education, and to that end I'm co-founder and CTO of
Code Scouts, a non-profit organization dedicated to building community for
women learning software development.

At Code Scouts we see web literacy as a crucial component for everyone —
even if you don't want to have "software engineer" in your job title, we
believe it's critical to have these skills in reading and writing the web —
and a lot of the thinking that's gone into Code Scouts aligns very closely
with the work that Carla and company are working on in terms of defining
pathways to developing an array of skills, and methods for demonstrating
and acknowledging competency.

So that's my interest in a web literacy standard. The other thing I must
confess is that as a veteran of the OpenID 2.0 standardization process, I
am a little leery of jumping into an open-standard-making process. But
we'll see how this goes. :)

Cheers,

- Kevin

--
Code Scouts: http://codescouts.org/

Carla Casilli, Webmaker Badges Project Lead

Mar 12, 2013, 11:53:13 PM3/12/13
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for the mention, Kevin. And we are in total agreement with the idea that web literacy is a crucial skill. The idea of pathways is something you'll find us returning to again and again. We're glad that you're as excited about that direction as we are. We're aiming to provide straightforward (and possibly not so straightforward) demonstrations that knowledge can come about in various ways.

Looking forward to seeing the brilliant work that comes out of this effort.

Carla

---
Web literacy / Webmaker Badges Lead
Badge System Design Lead
Mozilla Foundation
Message has been deleted

jamieal...@googlemail.com

Mar 14, 2013, 8:22:29 AM3/14/13
Hi everyone,

I’m Jamie Allen,into the creation of short, blended-learning creative website production courses for kids, also working with a variety of partners on the separate project area of an Open Educational Resource in ICT4D.

Great to come across this initiative & read what its participants are up to. My interest lies in a mix of Internet Literacy Standards / Badges/ e-Assessment and its potential in Development Education, both for the short & long-term benefits to students and in helping establish learning networks that can accomodate informal education providers.

Sunny Lee

Mar 14, 2013, 8:51:14 AM3/14/13
to jamieal...@googlemail.com, webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Great to meet you Jamie!

For badges, please join us at our badges group which you can learn more about and sign up for here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/openbadges

Worth noting, we have a lot in store for badges today as we're releasing 1.0.

To learn more check out http://openbadges.org/

Cheers,

Sunny Lee
Open Badges Pro du ct Lead
Mozilla Foundation
http://openbadges.org
su...@mozillafoundation.org
@soletelee
Mar 18, 2013, 2:23:06 PM3/18/13
Great to see so many people interested in the Web Literacy standard work. :-)

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows where to go for the latest information about our weekly calls. The relevant page on the wiki is below along with the etherpad for this week's call:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Learning/WebLiteracyStandard/Calls

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/weblitstd-community-21mar13
(Thursdays @ 8am PT / 11am ET / 3pm GMT)

-----

mr.rj....@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2013, 3:03:35 PM4/13/13
Doug:

Hats-off to you and the Mozilla Foundation for bringing leadership to Global #WebLiteracy and advancing the open, democratic spirit of the Internet.

I trust you will find the energy necessary to overcome obstacles and advance Web Literacy.

If you need support to realize the vision of the draft open learning standard, please contact me.

+Ryan

Roz Hussin

Apr 14, 2013, 1:03:15 AM4/14/13
My name is Roz Hussin and I joined this group during last week's community call meeting (April 8). I'm currently an Instructional Design Technology Specialist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I'm interested in Connectivist Learning and any/all relevant developments in the field. I'm also involved in a few related action-research projects with partners in the US and abroad.

Prakash Neupane

Jul 11, 2013, 1:14:53 AM7/11/13
Hello All

I am Prakash Neupane from Nepal, Open Knowledge Evangelist. Promoting, Advocating, Consulting Open Knowledge in terms of data, content, research ......

I am the team member of Wikimedia Education for Nepal, where we are teaching for web literacy, encouraging people for become contributors from just readers.

I am working for Literacy improvement in Nepal using technology [Reach the Unreachable]. Practicing Online learning here, and working for building platform enabling informal education and action oriented institutions.

I am Technical Adviser of Online Labour Academy for Nepal.

Really influenced by the term Web Literacy: the skills and competencies needed to both read and write the Web.

Regards
Prakash Neupane
www.prakashneupane.com.np
Ambassador
Open Knowledge Foundation Nepal
www.np.okfn.org

Pekka Ollikainen

Jul 11, 2013, 4:56:09 AM7/11/13
On Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:56:04 PM UTC+2, Doug Belshaw wrote:
> Hi everyone. I recently set up a new Google Group for Mozilla's upcoming work with the community on a new learning standard for Web Literacy. However, it's probably best in the long-run if this community joins the Webmaker list. :-)
>

> This thread is for people to introduce themselves. If you were on the other group, please copy and paste your introduction from there below. Here's mine:
>

> =====
>
> I'm Doug Belshaw, Badges & Skills Lead for the Mozilla Foundation. I live on the coast in Northumberland, which is the English county between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Scotland. As well as Open Badges I'm privileged to work on Web Literacies for Mozilla, which is great as the whole area really interests me. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the topic of digital literacy.
>

> I'm really excited to see what kind of people this initiative attracts as well as working towards a useful, tangible end result. :-)
>

> Although I use my GMail address for Google Groups, you can reach me directly here: doug <at> mozillafoundation <dot> org
>
> =====
>

> Doug Belshaw
>
> Badges & Skills Lead
>
> Mozilla Foundation

I participated Webmaker MOOC and I as I enjoy distributed group work I wanted to participate Web Literacy Standard as well. I have background at R&D at Nokia but currently not employed by company but do open source web development, while looking for next project.

Doug Belshaw

Jul 11, 2013, 5:46:08 AM7/11/13
Hi Pekka!

You're very welcome. Our calls are on Mondays: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Learning/WebLiteracyStandard/Calls

We'll be launching the beta version of the standard on July 26th so are finalising the skills next week.

Feel free to email me directly (doug <at> mozillafoundation <dot> org) and I can bring you up to speed, etc. :-)

-----