TB 60 - Any news about firetray alternative?

Centauri39

Aug 26, 2018, 4:59:55 PM8/26/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
For Linux users, the add-on called Firetray used to be very handy, to be
able to minimize TB to the tray.

TB 60 doesn't support this add-on anymore.

Any chance of releasing an alternative?

Centauri39

Aug 26, 2018, 8:30:33 PM8/26/18
Am 27.08.2018 um 02:00 schrieb 😉 Good Guy 😉:
> I don't know anything about this particular Add-On but Linux must have a
> short-Cut key to minimize a window.  For example in Windows Operating
> system, we can use:
>
> Windows Key + DownArrow
>
> This minimizes the window.   Also, there are three icons on the top
> right corner and one icon can minimize the Window.  For Linux there must
> be something similar because they all copy the tricks from each other.
>
> The less Add-On you use, the better it will be for your machine.  These
> Add-Ons aren't tested as rigorously as possible so sometimes something
> can get in at a huge cost to your privacy.
>

> --
> With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

This add-on doesn't just minimizes TB the ordinary way, it can minimize
TB to tray (next to the system clock) and it does it automatically right
at boot up. It also turns the Close button into a Minimize-to-tray button.

Such an add-on makes way more sense within Linux than Windows, because
the mail checker tools for Linux are way worse than for Windows.

WaltS48

Aug 26, 2018, 9:16:45 PM8/26/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Shows you what I know about Linux and Thunderbird.

I always thought Thunderbird was the mail checker tool.

I minimize the application when not using it, maximize it when I get a
notification that there is new mail. Thunderbird also uses the native
Linux notification again with Thunderbird 60.

I finally figured out what the System Tray is on Linux and Windows, and
really wouldn't want an icon there. I disable it appearing for VLC and
qBittorent.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Wayne

Aug 26, 2018, 11:45:04 PM8/26/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

Centauri39

Aug 27, 2018, 3:04:49 AM8/27/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Actually, TB is not a just mail checker, it's a mail client.

A mail checker is a small tool that can check and notify you about new
messages for you. So it is simply looking for new messages on the
according server and, if any, notifies you about them.
Therefore you may also call these tools mail notifier.

A mail client has way more features than that. You can download your
messages and you can create or edit messages and send them, etc...
Therefore, a mail client is much bigger.

So, usually you would rather want to start a mail checker than a mail
client, because it requires less ressources.

Unfortunately, on Linux (in my case Linux Mint) the available mail
checkers are so bad to set up, that you better start TB right at boot up
and put not only in the task bar, but in the tray, because you better
have a tiny icon in the tray than a big button of a minimized
application in the taskbar.

By doing so, you get an icon looking like an envelope and when new
messages are coming in, that icon shows the number of the new messages.

The big advantage of the add-on alternative I'm looking for is, that it
can minimize TB automatically (as I said, at boot up) and do its job
(most of the time) inconspicuously in the background.

Centauri39

Aug 27, 2018, 3:06:56 AM8/27/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thank you very much!
I will definitly keep an eye on that.

🐮 Cows are Nice 🐮

Aug 27, 2018, 5:34:23 AM8/27/18
On 08/26/2018 05:30 PM, Centauri39 wrote:

> Such an add-on makes way more sense within Linux than Windows, because
> the mail checker tools for Linux are way worse than for Windows.

It'd be helpful to mention which DE you're using, as "for Linux" doesn't
always say enough.

XFCE? The Mail Watch panel plugin looks about right. It's not "in the
tray", it's a small icon anywhere you want it on the panel.

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-mailwatch-plugin

Centauri39

Aug 27, 2018, 1:06:09 PM8/27/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Currently, I have 4 Linux on three computers.

1. Mint-18.1-MATE-64bit and Win10-Pro-64bit
2. Bodhi-Linux-4.5.0-64bit and Win10-Home-64bit.
3. Bodhi-Linux-4.5.0-32bit and Mint-MATE-18.3-32bit.

On each of these three machines the first OS is the preferred one.

🐮 Cows are Nice 🐮

Aug 27, 2018, 4:59:27 PM8/27/18
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 08/26/2018 05:30 PM, Centauri39 wrote:
> Am 27.08.2018 um 02:00 schrieb 😉 Good Guy 😉:
>>
>> I don't know anything
>

> This add-on doesn't just minimizes TB the ordinary way, it can
> minimize TB to tray (next to the system clock) and it does it
> automatically right at boot up. It also turns the Close button into a
> Minimize-to-tray button.
>
> Such an add-on makes way more sense within Linux than Windows,
> because the mail checker tools for Linux are way worse than for
> Windows.

Too many mail apps shown in Mint's Synaptic for me to look thru
("926 packages listed") but if the XFCE panel plugin isn't for you,
"mail-notification" might be.

*Mozilla products (Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird ...) mailbox support*

mail-notification works with system trays implementing the
freedesktop.org System Tray Specification, such as the GNOME Panel
Notification Area, the xfce4 Notification Area and the KDE System Tray.

It looks simple enough in the Screenshots.

http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/