[ANN] List no longer adds itself to Reply-To header

Chris Ilias

Feb 26, 2007, 11:45:18 PM2/26/07
For support-thunderbird mailing list members:

Please note that I have set the mailing list to no longer add itself to
the Reply-To: header of each posting, in order to make it easier to
reply to other list members privately. When you want to reply to a post
to the list, make sure to use "Reply All."
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Bob Henson

Feb 27, 2007, 3:30:02 AM2/27/07

Chris Ilias wrote:

> For support-thunderbird mailing list members:
>
> Please note that I have set the mailing list to no longer add itself to
> the Reply-To: header of each posting, in order to make it easier to
> reply to other list members privately. When you want to reply to a post
> to the list, make sure to use "Reply All."

I don't use the mailing list, Chris, so I've no axe to grind - but the
only list of all the ones I *do* subscribe to that has this set-up
causes chaos. Everyone just hits "reply", and then wonders why the
message doesn't reach the list. Sometimes, but not often, they realise
it has gone by e-mail to the individual, but not usually till they get
an e-mail reply from the individual - usually saying "please don't
e-mail me with list questions". Noting in your sig that you have exactly
that included, I'll be surprised if you don't get a lot more unwanted
e-mail. Even "Reply All" annoys people - whilst the message makes it to
the list, the writer also gets an unwanted e-mail copy, unless the
sender removes them from the header (they never do). Just a thought,
based on experience.

Regards,

Bob

--
Remove "x" from address to reply by email

Tom Liotta

Feb 27, 2007, 2:29:52 PM2/27/07
Chris Ilias wrote:

> For support-thunderbird mailing list members:
>
> Please note that I have set the mailing list to no longer add itself to
> the Reply-To: header of each posting, in order to make it easier to
> reply to other list members privately. When you want to reply to a post
> to the list, make sure to use "Reply All."

The only reason I come here is to read the various aspects of a
given problem area. When a list becomes the secondary and explicitly
optional recipient, the threads start to lose their content.

Like Bob, there is only one other list that I subscribe to that
doesn't reply to itself. Its intended for career and job postings,
most of which are not discussion threads at all.

Given the frequency of posts with top-posting, untrimmed, HTML,
duplicates because "I didn't see it appear instantaneously", answers
that are little more than "Did you google for 'thunderbird
attachment'?", and every other list transgression or trivial reply
because the OP clearly had no idea what was happening, I expect some
confusion out of this. As it is, I'm not surprised at how few
replies to this thread have made it to the list. (If nothing else,
some probably don't know what to make of this thread.)

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to suggest an alternative
'discussion' list. By having two lists with explicit purposes, one
of them would be more useful being a direct reply to the OP while
the other could host threads. I'm new to Tb lists myself and don't
know of good alternatives.

--
Tom Liotta