What Happened to "Insert"?

Peter Holsberg

Oct 2, 2014, 6:11:15 PM10/2/14
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
My wife and I both have v31.1.2 installed on separate computers.

When I "Write" an HTML message, I see "Insert" on the menu bar line, but
my wife doesn't have that!

How do I get "Insert" to appear in the menu bar?

Failing that, how can see insert an image into an email?

Thanks.

P.S. I apologize if this has been discussed recently but I could not
find any recent discussion.

Chris Ramsden

Oct 2, 2014, 6:16:42 PM10/2/14
Is she also composing in HTML mode? Look under Account Settings,
Composition & Display.

If she is already in HTML mode, does she have the toolbars and menus on
show? alt+v, Toolbars, tick the checkboxes.

--
Chris

Peter Holsberg

Oct 2, 2014, 6:47:20 PM10/2/14
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
I don't know how I "fixed" it, but "Insert" is there now.

How do I make the menubar always appear?

Peter Holsberg wrote on 10/2/2014 6:11 PM:
> My wife and I both have v31.1.2 installed on separate computers.
>
> When I "Write" an HTML message, I see "Insert" on the menu bar line, but
> my wife doesn't have that!
>
> How do I get "Insert" to appear in the menu bar?
>
> Failing that, how can see insert an image into an email?
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. I apologize if this has been discussed recently but I could not
> find any recent discussion.

WaltS48

Oct 2, 2014, 7:44:37 PM10/2/14
On 10/02/2014 06:47 PM, Peter Holsberg wrote:
> I don't know how I "fixed" it, but "Insert" is there now.
>
> How do I make the menubar always appear?

The menu bar is always there in a composition window.

If you mean the "Composition Toolbar", right click in the menu bar and
put a check mark next to "Composition Toolbar" to enable it.

> Peter Holsberg wrote on 10/2/2014 6:11 PM:
>> My wife and I both have v31.1.2 installed on separate computers.
>>
>> When I "Write" an HTML message, I see "Insert" on the menu bar line, but
>> my wife doesn't have that!
>>
>> How do I get "Insert" to appear in the menu bar?
>>
>> Failing that, how can see insert an image into an email?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> P.S. I apologize if this has been discussed recently but I could not
>> find any recent discussion.

GO Steelers, Pitt, Pens, Bills and Sabres!

EE

Oct 3, 2014, 3:02:46 PM10/3/14
It must be from an extension. There is no "insert" in any of the menus
from the menu bar in the compose window normally.

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 3:13:16 PM10/3/14
On 2014-10-03 20:02, EE wrote:

> It must be from an extension. There is no "insert" in any of the menus
> from the menu bar in the compose window normally.

Nonsense!

I have just run Thunderbird in safe mode (no add-ons) and there is
Insert on the menu when composing in HTML.

--

Chris

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 3:22:35 PM10/3/14

Larry Gusaas

Oct 3, 2014, 3:31:14 PM10/3/14
On 2014-10-03, 1:02 PM EE wrote:
It must be from an extension.  There is no "insert" in any of the menus from the menu bar in the compose window normally.

Insert is in the menu bar when you compose in HTML

Larry

Larry I. Gusaas

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:   http://larry-gusaas.com

Jo-Anne

Oct 3, 2014, 3:35:12 PM10/3/14
I'm a Thunderbird newbie (version 31.1.1), and I don't have either
"Insert" or "Format" anywhere that I can find--and I see both in the
image you posted. They certainly would be useful.

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Oct 3, 2014, 3:42:06 PM10/3/14
On 10/3/2014 2:31 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2014-10-03, 1:02 PM EE wrote:
>> It must be from an extension. There is no "insert" in any of the
>> menus from the menu bar in the compose window normally.
>
> Insert is in the menu bar when you compose in HTML
>

> Larry

Thank you, Larry! I'm the newbie who also wondered about insert (and
format).

Jo-Anne

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 3:45:12 PM10/3/14
On 2014-10-03 20:35, Jo-Anne wrote:

> I'm a Thunderbird newbie (version 31.1.1), and I don't have either
> "Insert" or "Format" anywhere that I can find--and I see both in the
> image you posted. They certainly would be useful.
>
> Jo-Anne

Do you have any of the other stuff? Font size/style selectors, smileys
etc? Their absence would suggest you compose in plain text.

You can select HTML as the default in the account settings.

Regardless of what you set as the default, you can toggle to the
alternative mode by holding down shift when clicking on write, reply,
forward etc.

--

Chris

Keith Nuttle

Oct 3, 2014, 3:51:04 PM10/3/14
TB Version 31.1.2

In my set up it seems to depend on where you open the compose window.
If you open it from an email account the Format and Insert options are
present. If you open it from a newsgroup account they are not.

It seems at one time to get something I had to reset to the defaults, I
don't know if that is what is causing your problem or not.

Context menus are nice but can cause confusion.

Jo-Anne

Oct 3, 2014, 4:00:37 PM10/3/14
Thank you, Chris! It turns out I do have them in HTML messages. I think
I set my newsgroups for plain text, so that's why they don't show up
there. You mentioned toggling the alternative mode with the shift key.
Is there a way to toggle between HTML and plain text while writing a
message? I often copy and and paste material from the web that I would
then like to change to plain text and, sometimes, back again after the
images are gone.

Thank you again,

Jo-Anne

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 5:36:50 PM10/3/14
You set the default composition mode on a per-account basis. It's under
Tools|Account Settings|{account}|Composition & Addressing.

So, quite rightly, you have set plain text for your newsgroup postings. ;-)

--

Chris

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 5:47:46 PM10/3/14
Unfortunately, you can't change from plain text to html on the fly.

If you're set to compose in HTML by default, ISTR that you could switch
to a plain text mode. Looking now, the closest to what I can remember is
found under Options|Delivery Format. I'm not entirely sure that's the
same thing.

I often find myself in a similar situation to what you describe. When I
find I need HTML and not the default plain text, I do ctrl+a (select
all), copy (ctrl+c) then close the message without saving and start
again in HTML mode and then paste (ctrl+v). There is also a special
paste mode in the menu: Paste without Formatting, which will dump any
fancy stuff. Another approach is to paste to your preferred text editor
(I use Notepad++ in Windows, Bluefish in Linux) as a means to lose
formatting.

--

Chris

Keith Nuttle

Oct 3, 2014, 6:12:53 PM10/3/14
Some times you do a nitpic change and forget you have made the settings.
You are right newsgroups do not accept HTML.

Larry Gusaas

Oct 3, 2014, 6:15:26 PM10/3/14
On 2014-10-03, 4:12 PM Keith Nuttle wrote:
You are right newsgroups do not accept HTML.

Wrong. Some newsgroups, including this one, accept HTML

Chris Ramsden

Oct 3, 2014, 6:27:19 PM10/3/14
On 2014-10-03 23:15, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2014-10-03, 4:12 PM Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> You are right newsgroups do not accept HTML.
>
> Wrong. Some newsgroups, including this one, accept HTML
>

> Larry

> Larry I. Gusaas
>
> *Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
> theirs." - Edgard Varese *

I'd warn you that in the recent past, contributors have posted here in
HTML, with the intention of using its ability to include images, and
they were chastised. Postings here are expected to be textual, and for
that, plain text only format is sufficient.

I think HTML postings will be tolerated. But just because you can
doesn't mean you should. ;-)

--

Chris

Ed Mullen

Oct 3, 2014, 7:10:41 PM10/3/14
In non-HTML compose or reply mode there is no Insert menu. In HTML
compose/reply mode there is.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ed Mullen

Oct 3, 2014, 7:12:00 PM10/3/14
If a newsgroup or email account is set to compose/reply in non-HTML mode
hold SHIFT and click Compose or Reply and you'll be in HTML mode.

Ed Mullen

Oct 3, 2014, 7:13:26 PM10/3/14
Strictly speaking, this group DOES accept HTML posts. The guidlines
discourage it but the group DOES accept them.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Larry Gusaas

Oct 3, 2014, 11:07:30 PM10/3/14

On 2014-10-03, 5:13 PM Ed Mullen wrote:
Strictly speaking, this group DOES accept HTML posts.  The guidlines discourage it but the group DOES accept them.

That is not how I remember the wording from the guidelines, which I can't locate at the moment. Perhaps you could quote them verbatim.

Too many people object to the use of HTML on this newsgroup contrary to the guidelines.

Larry

Larry I. Gusaas

Oct 3, 2014, 11:37:22 PM10/3/14

On 10/03/2014 10:07 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2014-10-03, 5:13 PM Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Strictly speaking, this group DOES accept HTML posts. The guidlines
>> discourage it but the group DOES accept them.
>
> That is not how I remember the wording from the guidelines, which I
> can't locate at the moment. Perhaps you could quote them verbatim.
>
> Too many people object to the use of HTML on this newsgroup contrary
> to the guidelines.

hello Larry,

from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/

in part, reads:

Post HTML at your own risk.

Keep in mind that not everyone uses mail or news readers that can
easily display HTML messages. Consequently, you will reach a larger
audience if you post in plain-text. Many people simply ignore HTML
messages, because it takes a nontrivial amount of effort to read them.

so, it is not a _rule_, but a suggestion.

further, in many email etiquette pages, it is suggested to always use
"text/plain", with "text/html" used in business email for special
purpose.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.

Larry Gusaas

Oct 3, 2014, 11:55:50 PM10/3/14

On 2014-10-03, 5:13 PM Ed Mullen wrote:
Strictly speaking, this group DOES accept HTML posts. The guidlines
discourage it but the group DOES accept them.

That is not how I remember the wording from the guidelines, which I
can't locate at the moment. Perhaps you could quote them verbatim.

Too many people object to the use of HTML on this newsgroup contrary
to the guidelines.

hello Larry,

from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it

in part, reads:

Post HTML at your own risk.

    Keep in mind that not everyone uses mail or news readers that can easily display HTML messages. Consequently, you will reach a larger audience if you post in plain-text. Many people simply ignore HTML messages, because it takes a nontrivial amount of effort to read them.

so, it is not a _rule_, but a suggestion.

Not a rule, like I said. If some people refuse to read HTML messages, that is their problem.

further, in many email etiquette pages, it is suggested to always use
"text/plain", with "text/html" used in business email for special
purpose.

This isn't email. And this newsgroup says otherwise.

This subject has been discussed endlessly on this newsgroup. The HTML haters never learn.

Oct 4, 2014, 12:49:13 AM10/4/14
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org

On 10/03/2014 10:55 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
<>

> This isn't email. And this newsgroup says otherwise.

uh, excuse me. it is email list _and_ newsgroup list.

> This subject has been discussed endlessly on this newsgroup.
> The HTML haters never learn.

and, we are getting "off topic".

»Q«

Oct 4, 2014, 10:13:40 AM10/4/14
In <news:Apmdna3nIaRa8rLJ...@mozilla.org>,
Larry Gusaas <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:

> If some people refuse to read HTML messages, that is their problem.

It's also a problem for posters, which is why the guidelines warn users
of the risk they run in posting html. (Another thing they risk is
being told what a Bad Idea it is to post html, especially with
Mozilla clients.)

> And this newsgroup says otherwise.

Don't pretend to speak for "this newsgroup", please.

> This subject has been discussed endlessly on this newsgroup.

That's true. I'm crossposting and setting followups to mozilla.general

> The HTML haters never learn.

One thing we learn when viewing the html Thunderbird produces is what a
godawful Thunderbird does. Here's a bit of the html of your post,
nested inside <blockquote> tags:

-----
That is not how I remember the wording from the guidelines,
which I
can't locate at the moment. Perhaps you could quote them
verbatim.
Too many people object to the use of HTML on this newsgroup
contrary
to the guidelines.
-----

What's not to hate? (c;

»Q«

Oct 4, 2014, 10:17:28 AM10/4/14
In <news:20141004091...@sepulchrave.remarqs>,
»Q« <box...@gmx.net> wrote:

> In <news:Apmdna3nIaRa8rLJ...@mozilla.org>,
> Larry Gusaas <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This subject has been discussed endlessly on this newsgroup.
>
> That's true. I'm crossposting and setting followups to
> mozilla.general

Well, I screwed that up. Sorry.

If replying to my previous post, please manually remove m.s.thunderbird
from the Newsgroups header.

Chris Ilias

Oct 4, 2014, 10:36:00 AM10/4/14
On 2014-10-03 6:27 PM, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> On 2014-10-03 23:15, Larry Gusaas wrote:
>> On 2014-10-03, 4:12 PM Keith Nuttle wrote:
>>> You are right newsgroups do not accept HTML.
>>
>> Wrong. Some newsgroups, including this one, accept HTML
>>

>> Larry
>>
>> _____________________________________________________________________________
>>

>> Larry I. Gusaas
>>
>> *Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
>> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
>> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
>> theirs." - Edgard Varese *
>>

> I'd warn you that in the recent past, contributors have posted here in
> HTML, with the intention of using its ability to include images, and
> they were chastised. Postings here are expected to be textual, and for
> that, plain text only format is sufficient.

The people who say HTML is not allowed are wrong.

As moderator, I'd like to clarify - Policy with regards to HTML posting
in the support newsgroups is:

Message content (what is being said) is much more important than message
format (snipping, top-posting, HTML). As long as users are being helped,
we shouldn't make a big deal out of message format. It's not something
that /should/ be policed.

In other words, we don't care about HTML vs plain-text, and neither
should you. I'm more likely to take action on *arguments* about HTML vs
plain-text. If someone complains that a message cannot be read, just
re-post in plain-text.

We have a very low amount of HTML posts anyway, and I assume just as low
amount of subscribers unable to read an HTML message.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Ed Mullen

Oct 4, 2014, 8:57:56 PM10/4/14
What's so horrible about a few <br> tags?

They are perfectly legitimate HTML, even in HTML5. Not desired but not
condemned.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Tanstaafl

Oct 5, 2014, 10:27:20 AM10/5/14
On 10/3/2014 11:55 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a rule, like I said. If some people refuse to read HTML messages,
> that is their problem.

True, but goes both ways...

If one is posting to a newsgroup asking for help with a problem, and
HTML is frowned on and/or ignored by a large percentage of participants,
then the poster is limiting the potential for getting helpful responses
to their question.

That would be the OPs problem, not the ones refusing to read the HTML post.

On the other hand, if someone asks a question in plain text, and a
helpful response is sent in HTML and the OP refuses to read the
response, then that would indeed be their problem.

So, I would suggest that for HTML posters, the best thing to do would be
to send in both HTML and plain-text when sending to lists that prefer
plain-text but still allow HTML (thankfully in TB this is easy to do on
a case bu case basis)

Morganna

Oct 5, 2014, 10:51:34 AM10/5/14
This is your problem:
Newsreader: Claws Mail 3.9.0 (GTK+ 2.24.24; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

Back you go to my kill file.

»Q«

Oct 5, 2014, 11:25:10 AM10/5/14
In <news:4-adnQVsHe5ox6zJ...@mozilla.org>,
Morganna <m...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> This is your problem:
> Newsreader: Claws Mail 3.9.0 (GTK+ 2.24.24; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

Hi, Morgana! You're an idiot. :-)

> Back you go to my kill file.

IME, the people who feel the need to announce plonks publicly are
the least capable of actually plonking anyone. Better luck this time.

EE

Oct 5, 2014, 1:50:45 PM10/5/14
Chris Ramsden wrote:
> On 2014-10-03 20:02, EE wrote:
>>>
>> It must be from an extension. There is no "insert" in any of the menus
>> from the menu bar in the compose window normally.
>>
> Nonsense!
>
> I have just run Thunderbird in safe mode (no add-ons) and there is
> Insert on the menu when composing in HTML.

Oh. That is why I have not seen it. I use plain text when dealing with
email.