TB seems to limit number of messages stored

Dave

Nov 25, 2009, 6:16:17 AM11/25/09
Had TB for a few weeks (on a Dell PC with Vista) imported messages &
address book from Outlook, adn started using it. Eventually noticed
that some emails I'd sent were no longer in Sent folder a couple of
weeks later. Can;t see anything on Help pages about this sort of
limit, so confused and needing help as to what the right question to
ask is, or what the answers are (why? & what do I do about it?)
Thanks

Man-wai Chang to The Door (28800bps)

Nov 25, 2009, 8:26:13 AM11/25/09

There should be a 2G limit per mbox file like Outlook, I suspect...
Time to create sub-folder under Sent folder. :)

Pray correct me if I was wrong! :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31.6

John Doue

Nov 25, 2009, 9:35:06 AM11/25/09
Man-wai Chang to The Door (28800bps) wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Had TB for a few weeks (on a Dell PC with Vista) imported messages &
>> address book from Outlook, adn started using it. Eventually noticed
>> that some emails I'd sent were no longer in Sent folder a couple of
>> weeks later. Can;t see anything on Help pages about this sort of
>> limit, so confused and needing help as to what the right question to
>> ask is, or what the answers are (why? & what do I do about it?)
>
> There should be a 2G limit per mbox file like Outlook, I suspect...
> Time to create sub-folder under Sent folder. :)
>
> Pray correct me if I was wrong! :)

Except I would not create subfolders of the Sent folder but of another
aptly named subfolder (of course, with the correct settings in the
Copy&Folders). To make things more clear, I have a Folder named "Depart"
and subfolders of Depart with various names.

The problem being that the sent folder (as the Inbox and some others)
are automatically created by TB when they - supposedly - do not exist.

Even if this is not exactly scientific, I consider such folders less
secure than others created by the user. Problems seem to be more
frequent with the Inbox, but the reasoning remains the same. Just the
way I see it ... :-)

--
John Doue

Dave

Nov 25, 2009, 9:57:21 AM11/25/09

> There should be a 2G limit per mbox file like Outlook, I suspect...
> Time to create sub-folder under Sent folder. :)
>
> Pray correct me if I was wrong! :)

But surely, after just 2 or 3 weeks, I can't have reached that limit?

John McGaw

Nov 25, 2009, 10:37:04 AM11/25/09

I suspect that the filing software embedded in TB has some subtle (and some
not-so subtle) bugs. For example mine has the habit of occasionally
renaming folders to something like "782745c8" as exists under my Personal
folder right now; this is annoying but not fatal since it is usually easy
to figure out what the original name was. The fatal flaw is that it also
decides to copy a new e-mail multiple times over older messages in
user-created folders destroying the content but leaving the Subject line,
Sender, etc as they were so that the damage remains hidden until I try to
read the original message.

I am hopeful that the shiny new improved version of TB won't suffer from
the same flaws.

Terry R.

Nov 25, 2009, 10:43:48 AM11/25/09
On 11/25/2009 6:57 AM On a whim, Dave pounded out on the keyboard

Hi Dave,

It doesn't matter how long you've used it. How many, "imported
messages" were imported? If 2 gig worth, it's easily explained.

Terry R.

Jens Müller

Nov 25, 2009, 11:34:04 AM11/25/09
Am 25.11.2009 16:37, schrieb John McGaw:
> I suspect that the filing software embedded in TB has some subtle (and some
> not-so subtle) bugs.

What "filing software embedded in TB"?

Ron Hunter

Nov 25, 2009, 11:35:21 AM11/25/09

I have never heard of a problem like that in all the years I have used
Mozilla browsers/mail/news clients. I would look closely at memory and
HD reliability.

Dave

Nov 25, 2009, 11:40:40 AM11/25/09

> It doesn't matter how long you've used it.  How many, "imported
> messages" were imported?  If 2 gig worth, it's easily explained.

Archived folders = 30 in Sent, 0 in Inbox, 13 in Deleted
Personal folders = 30 or less in each of 9 subfolders.
In fact, it appears to me that something has limited folder contents
to 30 messages each.
I don't have large messages - no big pictures or long code listings
etc.
Very puzzled!

Christoph Schmees

Nov 25, 2009, 12:51:27 PM11/25/09
Dave schrieb:

you have *compacted* those folders, haven't you?

Christoph

Dave

Nov 25, 2009, 1:11:39 PM11/25/09

They were compacted in Outlook regularly, but I haven't compacted TB,
just set the 'compact when required' checkbox.

John McGaw

Nov 25, 2009, 1:12:41 PM11/25/09
No other program has problems of any sort on this computer. This particular
machine runs the BOINC distributed processing client 24 X 7 and that
program is very particular about checking for data errors and it has never
turned up even one. Another computer running the same client had some
memory which started to become dodgy and BOINC caught all the errors
immediately.

Greywolf

Nov 25, 2009, 2:43:58 PM11/25/09

So am I. I can't visualise your folder tree layout (at the left of the
TB window if you are using classical layout). Where are these numbers
showing up? If they are in brackets following the folder name, they are
the number of Unread messages, not the total number of messages.

And what's with the "Deleted" folder? I have a Trash folder, is that
what you mean?

Do you have the Status bar showing at the bottom of the TB window. (If
not, View > Toolbars > Status bar.)

The Status bar at the bottom of the TB window will show Unread and Total
(bottom right). These numbers will likely be different.

Greywolf

Nov 25, 2009, 3:35:22 PM11/25/09

I think he means the module that saves messages in "folders".

wolf k.

Ron Hunter

Nov 25, 2009, 3:59:46 PM11/25/09

I think he means the SQlite files.

Wayne Mery

Nov 25, 2009, 4:28:02 PM11/25/09

having experienced some "sent message" lossage myself, it is certainly
possible to have happen - unrelated to folder size and aforementioned
name issues. Have a look at sent copy bugs. Will post more later

Ken Whiton

Nov 26, 2009, 3:26:20 AM11/26/09
*-* On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, at 03:16:17 -0800 (PST),
*-* In Article
<c889d6b8-13aa-4e92...@w19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
*-* Dave wrote
*-* About TB seems to limit number of messages stored

Do you use a Global Inbox or do you use separate inboxes for each
account?

If you use a Global Inbox:

Tools --> Account Settings... --> Local Folders --> Disk Space

If you use individual account inboxes:

Tools --> Account Settings... --> [Account name] --> Disk Space

In either case, do you have either the "Delete all but the last
[nn] messages" option or the "Delete messages more than [nn] days old"
option checked, and if you do what is the number, nn, that you're
using? Either option could be the cause of lost messages. If either
option is set, you can either increase the number or select one of the
other options.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Christoph Schmees

Nov 26, 2009, 4:36:49 AM11/26/09
Dave schrieb:

so you haven't done it yet - just do it! And then look further.

Christoph

Dave

Nov 26, 2009, 6:39:23 AM11/26/09
>      Do you use a Global Inbox ... YES!

> Tools --> Account Settings... --> Local Folders --> Disk Space
>
>      In either case, do you have either the "Delete all but the last
> [nn] messages" option or the "Delete messages more than [nn] days old"
> option checked... YES!

That's the answer, brilliant! - thanks Ken, I obviously didn't see it
when I needed to!
Dave

Ken Whiton

Nov 27, 2009, 2:55:43 AM11/27/09
*-* On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 03:39:23 -0800 (PST),
*-* In Article
<e8c1c84e-7215-40bf...@k4g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
*-* Dave wrote
*-* About Re: TB seems to limit number of messages stored

>> Do you use a Global Inbox ...
>
> YES!
>
>> Tools --> Account Settings... --> Local Folders --> Disk Space
>>
>> In either case, do you have either the "Delete all but the last
>> [nn] messages" option or the "Delete messages more than [nn] days old"
>> option checked...
>
> YES!
>
> That's the answer, brilliant! - thanks Ken,

You're welcome.

> I obviously didn't see it
> when I needed to!

Don't feel bad. To tell you the truth, I was somewhat surprised
that no one else thought of/remembered those options. It was the
first thing I thought of when I read your initial post, and before
replying I read the whole thread to make sure I wasn't duplicating
what someone else had already suggested.

Ron Hunter

Nov 27, 2009, 4:03:13 AM11/27/09

I don't use those options, although I was aware of them. I keep some
stuff in my Inbox for quite a while. Mostly things like orders to
Amazon, registration numbers for shareware, and other business stuff.
When I see them getting too old, I copy the message to the appropriate
area in 'My Documents'. I am really bad about procrastinating on that.
I often have a few messages in my Inbox that are two years old..

Roy Smith

Nov 27, 2009, 6:52:45 AM11/27/09

Ugh... my inbox is set to delete anything older than 30 days. If
there's something that I want to keep, it gets moved to another folder.
I like this new archived folder that is in 3.0, at first I thought is
was something that the folks at Eudora put it, but quickly learned that
it's a Mozilla thing instead.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3