trying to install, instructions are incorrect?

Joel Devlin

Jun 19, 2014, 11:10:57 PM6/19/14
to con...@instantbird.org
Hi there,

I'm following http://www.instantbird.com/faq.html#installlinux to install instandbird on kubuntu 14.04

I reach the line "For example, on Ubuntu, install the package ia32-libs by running sudo apt-get install ia32-libs from the command line."

$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.

is only available from another source

However the following packages replace it:

lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate

Could you update the install instructions here? I was actually trying to recommend this to my company as a good multi platform IM client but if the install instructions are obsolete that makes this recommendation difficult to say the least.

Please provide me with some resolution for this issue, I am very hopeful that I can pilot this software within my company soon.

Kind Regards,

--
Joel Devlin
Support Engineer | Bulletproof

Patrick Cloke

Jun 20, 2014, 5:32:55 PM6/20/14
to Joel Devlin, support-i...@lists.mozilla.org
On 6/19/2014 11:10 PM, Joel Devlin wrote:
> Hi there,
Hello!

> I'm following http://www.instantbird.com/faq.html#installlinux to install instandbird on kubuntu 14.04
Yeah, those instructions are out of date (we actually seem to have
updated instructions that just aren't pushed to the website yet, oops!)
Thanks for pointing this out.

> Could you update the install instructions here?
I'll definitely work on poking the right people to update the website,
but I've included the proper instructions below (to the best of my
knowledge):

Required for Instantbird to start:
sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libcairo2:i386
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libatk1.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxt6:i386

Fixes the GTK theming (without this the UI looks like it's coming
directly from Windows 95):
sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk0:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386

Gets rid of some warnings in the terminal related to finding the system
proxy settings:
sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk:i386

> I was actually trying to recommend this to my company as a good multi platform IM client but if the install instructions are obsolete that makes this recommendation difficult to say the least.
Our plan is to release the next version of Instantbird as a 64-bit
native binary which will make these extra installs obsolete!

> Please provide me with some resolution for this issue, I am very hopeful that I can pilot this software within my company soon.
Please let us know if the above instructions don't work. Or if you have
any other questions!

Thanks,
Patrick

Joel Devlin

Jul 15, 2014, 8:31:55 PM7/15/14
to Patrick Cloke, Joel Devlin, support-i...@lists.mozilla.org
On 21/06/14 07:30, Patrick Cloke wrote:
> On 6/19/2014 11:10 PM, Joel Devlin wrote:
>> Hi there,
> Hello!
>
>> I'm following http://www.instantbird.com/faq.html#installlinux to install instandbird on kubuntu 14.04
> Yeah, those instructions are out of date (we actually seem to have
> updated instructions that just aren't pushed to the website yet, oops!)
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
>> Could you update the install instructions here?
> I'll definitely work on poking the right people to update the website,
> but I've included the proper instructions below (to the best of my
> knowledge):
>
> Required for Instantbird to start:
> sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libcairo2:i386
> libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libatk1.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxt6:i386
>
> Fixes the GTK theming (without this the UI looks like it's coming
> directly from Windows 95):
> sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk0:i386 gtk2-engines-murrine:i386
>
> Gets rid of some warnings in the terminal related to finding the system
> proxy settings:
> sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk:i386
>
>> I was actually trying to recommend this to my company as a good multi platform IM client but if the install instructions are obsolete that makes this recommendation difficult to say the least.
> Our plan is to release the next version of Instantbird as a 64-bit
> native binary which will make these extra installs obsolete!
>
>> Please provide me with some resolution for this issue, I am very hopeful that I can pilot this software within my company soon.
> Please let us know if the above instructions don't work. Or if you have
> any other questions!
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Sorry guys, this was just terrible timing. The company went to hipchat
instead because I couldn't give them an installation method that worked
on the spot.