Dealing with *categories of links* in FF

Don Nickell

Oct 9, 2010, 2:09:56 PM10/9/10
Associated with the problem of *opening tabs* that has taken up a blue
gazillion messages I'd like to explain the root of my problem.

I have a dozen categories I deal with every morning, they include:
Monetary (stock market, individual stocks, etc.), auto links (F1), what
I refer to as 'entertainment' (on-line books, Audible, Geocaching,
etc.), Genealogy, comics, local (2) library catalogs, 6 Newspapers,
various phone books.

How do other FF users deal with this? Possibly I can learn something
I've been missing for some 10 years by doing it the hard way.

Thanks to anyone that wants to respond to this stupid message. I may not
respond to all, but I'd like to learn from others.

Don

Ed Mullen

Oct 9, 2010, 2:37:01 PM10/9/10

Okay.

1. Are these "groups" links to pages in categorized folders?
2. What do you want to happen?

I could envision these categorized folders being on the Bookmark
Toolbar. I'd right-click the first folder and choose "Open all in
tabs". Then I'd go through reading all the tabs, one after another.
Close those tabs and do the same for the next folder, etc.

Or, just click the first folder and open the first link, read, repeat
until i get through all the folders. This would entail using a single
tab the whole time.

I use tabs quite extensively. I'm set up that a link opens in a new tab
on a middle-mouse click and the new tab gets focus via the pref:

browser.tabs.loadInBackground

being set to false.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Don Nickell

Oct 9, 2010, 3:01:19 PM10/9/10

Where do I find the pref you show? I've never used the wheel click
(middle click on some mice). Possible I'll have to start doing that to
achieve what I want.
Thanks Ed.

Traveller

Oct 9, 2010, 3:03:37 PM10/9/10
On 09/10/2010 11:37, Ed Mullen wrote:
> tab gets focus via the pref:
>
> browser.tabs.loadInBackground
>
> being set to false.

And there is the answer to your tab focus issue from your earlier thread.

Traveller

Oct 9, 2010, 3:33:45 PM10/9/10

It gets set in about:config (just type that expression into the address
bar or hit Alt+C) and filter on browser.tabs. Yours will probably be set
to 'true'. Just double click the entry to change it.

Don Nickell

Oct 9, 2010, 3:39:36 PM10/9/10

Ed, where do you access that option? I don't see it under
Tools>Options>Tabs. OR, am I completely confused now? ;-)

Ron Hunter

Oct 9, 2010, 3:42:26 PM10/9/10
I use my mouse wheel click for a double-click, so if I want to open a
new tab from a link (or bookmark), I just hold control while clicking on
the link, or bookmark.

Don Nickell

Oct 9, 2010, 3:56:31 PM10/9/10

Thanks Ron, tried that and got every item (20) in the (Genealogy)
bookmark opening.

Ed Mullen

Oct 10, 2010, 12:20:08 AM10/10/10

Answered by someone earlier but:

In location/address bar enter about:config and hit Enter.

Then, in the filter bar enter browser.tabs

"Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm
feelin' no pain." - Gordon Lightfoot