Cache Fixer

Man-wai Chang

Jul 29, 2011, 2:20:37 PM7/29/11

Does it have a replacement? It's useful when you are on a 56k dial-up line.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

goodwin

Jul 30, 2011, 12:23:28 AM7/30/11
On 07/29/2011 11:20 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Does it have a replacement? It's useful when you are on a 56k dial-up line.

does what have a replacement?

you ever going to learn to put your question into your post?

Man-wai Chang

Jul 30, 2011, 8:18:31 AM7/30/11
>> Does it have a replacement? It's useful when you are on a 56k dial-up
>> line.
>>
> does what have a replacement?

Cache Fixer is an add-on of Firefox. It's lately been disabled by Admins.

Tarkus

Jul 31, 2011, 3:19:10 PM7/31/11
On 7/29/2011 11:20 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:
> Does it have a replacement? It's useful when you are on a 56k dial-up line.

Cache Fixer never worked for me anyway, back when I was on dial-up, but
Firefox rarely crashes on me these days anyway.

Man-wai Chang

Aug 1, 2011, 4:05:24 AM8/1/11
> Cache Fixer never worked for me anyway, back when I was on dial-up, but
> Firefox rarely crashes on me these days anyway.

I found it useful, at least up to Firefox 3.x.x. It kept the cache after
a session crash, so that I did not need to download the whole page again.

Ron Hunter

Aug 1, 2011, 8:18:01 AM8/1/11
On 8/1/2011 3:05 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> Cache Fixer never worked for me anyway, back when I was on dial-up, but
>> Firefox rarely crashes on me these days anyway.
>
> I found it useful, at least up to Firefox 3.x.x. It kept the cache after
> a session crash, so that I did not need to download the whole page again.

Keeping, or not keeping, the cache is a user option. I used to have
mine deleted on exit, but you can keep it, if you wish.

Tarkus

Aug 1, 2011, 8:33:49 AM8/1/11
On 8/1/2011 1:05 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> Cache Fixer never worked for me anyway, back when I was on dial-up, but
>> Firefox rarely crashes on me these days anyway.
>
> I found it useful, at least up to Firefox 3.x.x. It kept the cache after
> a session crash, so that I did not need to download the whole page again.

You can probably accomplish the same thing with a batch file. As I
recall, FF creates a dummy file at startup, and then deletes it when it
closes. If it crashes, it never gets a chance to delete it, so when it
starts back up, it sees that it already exists and deletes the old
cache. So you'd just need a batch file to look for that file and delete
it if found, and then run Firefox.

Tarkus

Aug 1, 2011, 8:35:10 AM8/1/11

He's talking about when Firefox crashes. It deletes the old cache,
presumably in case it might cause it to crash again. I don't believe
there is a user option to change that.

Man-wai Chang

Aug 1, 2011, 8:51:49 AM8/1/11
> You can probably accomplish the same thing with a batch file. As I
> recall, FF creates a dummy file at startup, and then deletes it when it
> closes. If it crashes, it never gets a chance to delete it, so when it
> starts back up, it sees that it already exists and deletes the old
> cache. So you'd just need a batch file to look for that file and delete
> it if found, and then run Firefox.

IN Firefox 3, when a session crashed, ALL caches (not just the URL that
caused the crash) were invalidated. :)

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

^ ^ 20:48:01 up 20 days 2:17 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05

Tarkus

Aug 1, 2011, 8:58:09 AM8/1/11
On 8/1/2011 5:51 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> You can probably accomplish the same thing with a batch file. As I
>> recall, FF creates a dummy file at startup, and then deletes it when it
>> closes. If it crashes, it never gets a chance to delete it, so when it
>> starts back up, it sees that it already exists and deletes the old
>> cache. So you'd just need a batch file to look for that file and delete
>> it if found, and then run Firefox.
>
> IN Firefox 3, when a session crashed, ALL caches (not just the URL that
> caused the crash) were invalidated. :)

Right. My point is, Firefox does that when it sees the temp file still
there. So if you create a batch that deletes it before starting FF, it
will never know that it crashed.

Ron Hunter

Aug 1, 2011, 10:59:27 AM8/1/11

I don't see enough Firefox crashes to have ever noticed if it kept the
cache or not. Some users routinely delete the cache after each session,
for security reasons. Mine is in RAMdisk, so it doesn't thrash my HD.

Tarkus

Aug 1, 2011, 1:40:51 PM8/1/11
On 8/1/2011 7:59 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 8/1/2011 7:35 AM, Tarkus wrote:

>>> Keeping, or not keeping, the cache is a user option. I used to have
>>> mine deleted on exit, but you can keep it, if you wish.
>>
>> He's talking about when Firefox crashes. It deletes the old cache,
>> presumably in case it might cause it to crash again. I don't believe
>> there is a user option to change that.
>
> I don't see enough Firefox crashes to have ever noticed if it kept the
> cache or not.

You probably wouldn't notice it with your connection. On dial-up (as
the OP is using), it's painfully obvious when it's starting with a fresh
cache.

Fox on the run

Aug 2, 2011, 11:11:24 AM8/2/11

Check out this older thread where I explained how to manually flip the
bit in cache to prevent it from being deleted after a crash.
https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_thread/thread/a3e74b0fe5bc4a9e/fd1e86d6682e9178

JB

Tarkus

Aug 2, 2011, 1:36:34 PM8/2/11
On 8/2/2011 8:11 AM, Fox on the run wrote:
> Check out this older thread where I explained how to manually flip the
> bit in cache to prevent it from being deleted after a crash.
> https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_thread/thread/a3e74b0fe5bc4a9e/fd1e86d6682e9178

Good stuff. I remember that thread, though I obviously didn't remember
the part about the bit, as I was thinking it was using a temp file.