Good news

Jean-Yves Perrier

Aug 8, 2013, 3:39:55 AM8/8/13
to mdn-drivers
Hi!

Kuma is very stable regarding edition this morning.

After having a few blank pages early this morning, I restarted my
browser and this problem disappeared. It may be something in my local
cache causing it.

I didn't get any KumaScript errors.

I made about 50-60 editions, and it is the first time since April that
Kuma is as much stable.

I will report any problem that may show again, but right now you made my
day.

Thank you!

--
Jean-Yves Perrier
Technical Writer / Mozilla Developer Network

Eric Shepherd

Aug 8, 2013, 8:29:39 AM8/8/13
to mdn-drivers, Jean-Yves Perrier
Of course, we'll see if this keeps up once the celery queue has time to get clogged up.

That said, during the MDN planning meeting yesterday afternoon, it sounds like there are good plans to really fix the problem for the long term, too, so I'm quite happy!

On August 8, 2013 at 3:40:35 AM, Jean-Yves Perrier (jper...@mozilla.com) wrote:

Kuma is very stable regarding edition this morning.

After having a few blank pages early this morning, I restarted my
browser and this problem disappeared. It may be something in my local
cache causing it.

I didn't get any KumaScript errors.

I made about 50-60 editions, and it is the first time since April that
Kuma is as much stable.
--
Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
Mozilla
Blog: http://www.bitstampede.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sheppy

Luke Crouch

Aug 8, 2013, 2:39:51 PM8/8/13
to Jean-Yves Perrier, Stephen Donner, mdn-drivers, Raymond Etornam, Stormy Peters
Jean-Yves,

Thanks for following up with a Good news thread! :)

All,

Technical update:

We fixed, merged, and pushed code to stop overloading the celery
servers. [1] Literally 39 seconds later, webops came into #mdndev to
tell us the celery queue was dropping quickly. They spun up extra
workers and the entire queue was cleared within a few minutes.

Process update:

We're doing a couple new things to help prevent more situations in the
future:

* Starting now, we can bring WebQA in on these issues by marking bugs
with needs-info? from :retornam or :stephend. They will help us come up
with steps-to-reproduce, and keep us engaged with the issue.

* In addition, MDN dev team will flag bugs for WebQA exploratory testing
when they affect more powerful or error-prone parts of the code.

* Finally, James is making a personal goal of paying down the technical
debt in these parts of the code. There's a thread on mdn-drivers about
it already [2]. John will help us measure our progress by tracking the
number of "BUG" cards that flow through our Kanban board before and
after the changes.

Personal update:

I messed up this one. I thought our first action fixed all the problems
and I didn't follow up to make sure it was really done. I'll be more
pro-active next time, and if things are completely blocking all work,
ping me on direct email, IRC, or even text message if you need to. (My
mobile # is in phonebook)

Thanks,
-L

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/kuma/pull/1262
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.mdn/99OtLDMYP1k/lT3OnQMf0DcJ

On 8/8/13 2:39 AM, Jean-Yves Perrier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Kuma is very stable regarding edition this morning.
>
> After having a few blank pages early this morning, I restarted my
> browser and this problem disappeared. It may be something in my local
> cache causing it.
>
> I didn't get any KumaScript errors.
>
> I made about 50-60 editions, and it is the first time since April that
> Kuma is as much stable.

Chris Mills

Aug 9, 2013, 4:35:26 AM8/9/13
to Luke Crouch, Jean-Yves Perrier, Stephen Donner, Raymond Etornam, Stormy Peters, mdn-drivers
All sounds cool.

One thing that was mentioned on a related thread the other day was regression tests - what have we got in place already, and are we looking to add additional regression testing features?

dancbu...@cox.net

Aug 13, 2013, 7:42:20 PM8/13/13
I just had to get rid of some bad celery myself ;-)