Is that true? If yes, some answers are necessary!

delor...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 2:22:17 AM4/14/14
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
http://darrningram.wordpress.com

So... Mozilla's employee decisions, design decisions and General decision process is depending on Groups from the outside?

If that is true i will remove your browser from my Computer and tell People not to use it too.

Stop serving the influence from outside, Mozilla does NOT Need that!

You are only damaging your own Reputation with stuff like that!

Till Schneidereit

Apr 14, 2014, 5:15:21 AM4/14/14
to delor...@gmail.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi deloreanxx7,

the blog you link to doesn't sound like a reliable source at all: it's
riddled with misinformation and doesn't give any reason why the reader
should believe that the author is in fact a Mozilla developer. (I don't
know if that's supposed to mean that they're an employee or a contributor.)

I'm very much inclined to think that this is a person trying to increase
the weight of their words by saying they're a voice from the inside, when,
in fact, they're not.

Why do I think that? Most importantly because people from within both the
company and the community have publicly voiced criticism about all three
topics this person touches on, and to the best of my knowledge none of them
have experienced serious negative repercussions. "Criticize the leaders and
you are history": look through the posts on http://planet.mozilla.org and
judge for yourself how many people would have lost their jobs over the last
few weeks if that were true.

There are quite a few other inconsistencies in the posts, but I don't think
it's worth it to go into them without any better indication that this
person isn't just trying to stir up a storm. I suppose one good way to
prove me wrong would be if they posted a more detailed account of how
Google supposedly influenced the development of Australis. With, you know,
details that only an insider could know.

As for the events of the last few weeks, you might be interested in this
collection of frequently asked questions:
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

thanks,
till

David Rajchenbach-Teller

Apr 14, 2014, 5:39:56 AM4/14/14
to delor...@gmail.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Frankly, that looks fake.

Best regards,
David

On 14/04/14 08:22, delor...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://darrningram.wordpress.com
>
> So... Mozilla's employee decisions, design decisions and General decision process is depending on Groups from the outside?
>
> If that is true i will remove your browser from my Computer and tell People not to use it too.
>
> Stop serving the influence from outside, Mozilla does NOT Need that!
>
> You are only damaging your own Reputation with stuff like that!

David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD
Performance Team, Mozilla

signature.asc

Francesco Lodolo

Apr 14, 2014, 7:02:46 AM4/14/14
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 14/04/14 08:22, delor...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> http://darrningram.wordpress.com
>
> So... Mozilla's employee decisions, design decisions and General decision process is depending on Groups from the outside?
Funny, it's the first time I read about Google driving Australis, this
sounds... confusing.

Maybe it's just a language issue – English does not seem to be his
native language – but the very definition of "Mozilla's development
team" sounds off to me.

Maybe he's a Mozillian contributing in the code area, or maybe he
doesn't have any relation with Mozilla. In both cases, I don't see how
he could know about under-the-table deals, unknown to most contributors,
assuming for a moment that things like these could exist in Mozilla.

A lot of Mozillians spoke against Mozilla's decisions in the past,
sometime in public, other times using internal channels, or speaking
directly with Mozilla's leaders. That's one of the things I treasure the
most about Mozilla, I don't need to hide my identity to get my voice heard.

Francesco

Nicholas Nethercote

Apr 14, 2014, 7:22:19 PM4/14/14
to David Rajchenbach-Teller, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, delor...@gmail.com
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM, David Rajchenbach-Teller
<dte...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Frankly, that looks fake.

Whoever it is, they're now claiming to be a Mozilla employee:
http://darrningram.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/mozilla-and-australis-and-fair-play/

It's a weird blog. Blogs owned by Mozilla devs tend to be
well-written. This one isn't. It rambles and is repetitive. The thesis
seems to be that Mozilla is too close to Google. I plan to ignore it
henceforth.

Nick

Kyle Huey

Apr 14, 2014, 7:35:49 PM4/14/14
to Nicholas Nethercote, David Rajchenbach-Teller, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, delor...@gmail.com

The blog author appears to be this guy
https://plus.google.com/102972851928663490169/posts judging by the
little logged in Google Plus bit from the screenshots from Google News
on his blog. I've never heard of him, and he's not listed as an
employee of the Mozilla Corporation or the Mozilla Foundation in our
internal phonebook.

- Kyle

Nicholas Nethercote

Apr 14, 2014, 7:53:44 PM4/14/14
to Kyle Huey, David Rajchenbach-Teller, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, deloreanxx7
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:

> The blog author appears to be this guy
> https://plus.google.com/102972851928663490169/posts judging by the
> little logged in Google Plus bit from the screenshots from Google News
> on his blog. I've never heard of him, and he's not listed as an
> employee of the Mozilla Corporation or the Mozilla Foundation in our
> internal phonebook.

Good find! Yes, http://darrningram.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/11.jpg
shows that somebody named "Roland" is logged into Google+, and you can
even see his picture, which matches the one on his Google+ profile.

He's not an employee.

Nick

Chris Peterson

Apr 14, 2014, 9:04:54 PM4/14/14
On 4/14/14, 4:35 PM, Kyle Huey wrote:
> The blog author appears to be this guy
> https://plus.google.com/102972851928663490169/posts judging by the
> little logged in Google Plus bit from the screenshots from Google News
> on his blog. I've never heard of him, and he's not listed as an
> employee of the Mozilla Corporation or the Mozilla Foundation in our
> internal phonebook.

The two messages that refer to the darnningram blog are likely the
blogger Randal himself. Roland Haslinger used the same
saph...@gmail.com address on firefox-dev:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2013-May/000383.html

And the messages from saph...@gmail.com and delor...@gmail.com use
the same writing style as the blog, such as sentences ending with
multiple periods... and capitalizing random words ("Third party",
"General decision", "Rapid release") like our German-speaking friends
are wont to do. :)

chris

delor...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 6:06:07 AM4/14/14
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
How about then making all of australis development sources public for once? Why does it look that much like Google Chrome and is similar to Google Chromes customization restrictions?

And to take a part of that other Topic similar to mine, there was quite a good answer of one of you till, may i repost it again:

"Also, what on earth would Google gain by influencing what our UI looks
like? If the answer is that they want us to be less competitive: why would
we give in to their demands? Because we want to have fewer users?"

Exactly this is what i think is true: Since you are so Close working with Google it is only natural that it is in Google and your interest to Transfer users over to Chrome. You guys have done in the past such heavy damage to Firefox and the constant winner of this lost users has been Google!

To say it loud and clear.. I do NOT trust Mozilla anymore. Therefor i Switch towards Seamonkey which developers Show that you CAN Keep customization if you do not have to bow down to some organization like Google!

In this case, bye Mozilla!

Till Schneidereit

Apr 15, 2014, 5:36:06 AM4/15/14
to delor...@gmail.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
(Even though you clearly aren't engaging in genuine conversation, Roland,
let me respond to the content of your post.)

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM, <delor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about then making all of australis development sources public for
> once? Why does it look that much like Google Chrome and is similar to
> Google Chromes customization restrictions?

All source is public and has been forever. Well, since the first patches
left some individual developer's computer, I guess. Additionally, the first
drafts of the the Australis design were public before Chrome adopted a lot
of the ideas in them. So to some extent, it's actually the other way
around. Searching on our wiki, through bugzilla.mozilla.org, and through
people's blog posts over the years, you can piece together all that history.

> And to take a part of that other Topic similar to mine, there was quite a
> good answer of one of you till, may i repost it again:

(For the casual reader, let me point out that that "other Topic" was in
fact posted by the same person as this one. The same person who wrote the
blog post mentioned in both initial posts.)

> "Also, what on earth would Google gain by influencing what our UI looks
> like? If the answer is that they want us to be less competitive: why would
> we give in to their demands? Because we want to have fewer users?"
>
> Exactly this is what i think is true: Since you are so Close working with
> Google it is only natural that it is in Google and your interest to
> Transfer users over to Chrome. You guys have done in the past such heavy
> damage to Firefox and the constant winner of this lost users has been
> Google!

You still haven't explained why we would do that. What would be our gain?
Wouldn't we cut off all sources of revenue that way? Also, can you point me
to the source of your knowledge that we "so Close working with Google"?

> To say it loud and clear.. I do NOT trust Mozilla anymore. Therefor i
> Switch towards Seamonkey which developers Show that you CAN Keep
> customization if you do not have to bow down to some organization like
> Google!

Note that some of the most active core developers of SeaMonkey are Mozilla
employees. You might want to switch to something else entirely.

> In this case, bye Mozilla!

thanks, I guess,
till

Justin Dolske

Apr 15, 2014, 1:04:15 PM4/15/14
On 4/15/14 2:36 AM, Till Schneidereit wrote:
> (Even though you clearly aren't engaging in genuine conversation, Roland,
> let me respond to the content of your post.)

Please don't feed the troll.

Justin