Eric Rescorla, Co-Autor of Extended-Random NSA Backdoor, working for Mozilla

lia.n...@googlemail.com

Apr 2, 2014, 5:20:51 AM4/2/14
Reuters reported yesterday that the Extended-Random function that was used as NSA Backdoor was co-written by Eric Rescorla:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/31/us-usa-security-nsa-rsa-idUSBREA2U0TY20140331

Eric Rescorla is working for Mozilla and he's working on the new TLS 1.3:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-tls13-new-flows-01

Mozilla has declined any comment about this. What do you guys think about that NSA connection? He could be innocent but he also could be involved in this....

Sailfish

Apr 2, 2014, 12:36:45 PM4/2/14
My bloviated meandering follows what lia.n...@googlemail.com graced us
with on 4/2/2014 2:20 AM:
It has long been rumored that the reason the US stopped it's suit
against Phil Zimmermann (PGP fame) was that they had already found a way
to easily crack RSA encryption so finding out recently that RSA had used
a easily crackable random number generation system wasn't all that
surprising.

As to Mozilla's (or Eric personally) possible involvement into possible
culpability into newer forms of attack, I would find that highly
unlikely but since I've never code-reviewed his stuff, I can only offer
an opinion.

--
Sailfish