Foxit PDF plugin hit by zero-day exploit

WaltS

Jan 11, 2013, 8:39:14 AM1/11/13
[excerpt quote "A new security bug in the popular Foxit PDF reader
plugin for web browsers allows miscreants to compromise computers and
install malware. There's no patch for this zero-day vulnerability." /]

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/11/foxit_pdf_plugin_vuln/>

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.5
Thunderbird Release

F1...@nospampobox.com

Jan 11, 2013, 1:03:20 PM1/11/13
On 1/11/2013 5:39 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard

> [excerpt quote "A new security bug in the popular Foxit PDF reader
> plugin for web browsers allows miscreants to compromise computers and
> install malware. There's no patch for this zero-day vulnerability." /]
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/11/foxit_pdf_plugin_vuln/>

I have moved most client machines from Foxit to PDF-Xchange, due to
their pushing of ASK products. Even so, whenever I installed Foxit in
the past, I never had it set to open PDF's in the browser, but to launch
the program, thereby not installing the plugin into a browser.

Sailfish

Jan 11, 2013, 1:59:54 PM1/11/13
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 1/11/2013
5:39 AM:
> [excerpt quote "A new security bug in the popular Foxit PDF reader
> plugin for web browsers allows miscreants to compromise computers and
> install malware. There's no patch for this zero-day vulnerability." /]
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/11/foxit_pdf_plugin_vuln/>

For releases prior to Firefox 19.0 and since (Firefox 12.0 ???), they
can use this feature simply by setting the pref "pdfjs.disabled" to
"false" via "about:config".

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

Rav

Jan 11, 2013, 6:17:29 PM1/11/13
On 1/11/2013 1:59 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 1/11/2013
> 5:39 AM:
>> [excerpt quote "A new security bug in the popular Foxit PDF reader
>> plugin for web browsers allows miscreants to compromise computers and
>> install malware. There's no patch for this zero-day vulnerability." /]
>>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/11/foxit_pdf_plugin_vuln/>
>>
> For releases prior to Firefox 19.0 and since (Firefox 12.0 ???), they
> can use this feature simply by setting the pref "pdfjs.disabled" to
> "false" via "about:config".

I thought one also has to go to Tools, Options, Applications, and for
Content Type "Portable Document Format (PDF)" set it to "Preview in
Firefox" ?
Message has been deleted