Very quick question: in Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to when... ?

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 8, 2018, 6:07:31 PM8/8/18
Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
the message I was just now!

--
=
quem você é?

2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
2.b. You may do it here:

https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Caver1

Aug 8, 2018, 7:06:23 PM8/8/18
On 08/08/2018 06:07 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
> the message I was just now!

If you have the addressee and subject entered it gets sent to the addressee.
If you don't have those entered you will get a dialog box and nothing
else happens.

--
Caver1

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 8, 2018, 7:23:08 PM8/8/18
But this is wrong. The message was not sent, or I would have seen that
happening, and that takes a few seconds. And I would have a copy of the
message in my sent folder, which I do not. Although the message body was
unfinished, it could be sent (the sender is one email account I have
configured here; the to, cc and coo were there too; subject too). The
window disappeared immediately. No copy of it in the draft folder for
that account (was the first place I tried to find it), where it surely
was while I was writing things.

David E. Ross

Aug 8, 2018, 7:30:54 PM8/8/18
On 8/8/2018 3:07 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
> the message I was just now!

The message should be in the Outbox folder under Local Folders.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Too often, Twitter is a source of verbal vomit. Examples include Donald
Trump and Roseanne Barr.

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 8, 2018, 7:46:46 PM8/8/18
Em 08-08-2018 20:30, David E. Ross escreveu:
> On 8/8/2018 3:07 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
>> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
>> the message I was just now!
>
> The message should be in the Outbox folder under Local Folders.

Oh! It is there!! Thank you very very very much! I am so happy to see it
there, together with several tests I did now with other messages. Now I
finished it and sent. How did you find that? I tried to search for a
list of TB shortcuts and actions, but all I found was unrelated things,
besides

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts

which is annoying to use to reach any shortcut... click, click, click...
no, not here... back, back, ... click, click, ... grrrrrrr!

I found

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts#w_message-functions

which has

> Send Message Later [Ctrl] +[Shift] + [Enter] [Command] + [Shift] +
> [Return]

Understand "Command" as separate key of from the previous "Enter"; the
whole quote seem to be two different shortcuts for the same action.

Shouldn't that action save a message in the account's draft folder,
instead of local outbox? What a silly thing to do! I just tested:

1) compose a message with an email account

2) click "save" to have its draft in account's draft folder

3) pressed "ctrl+shift+enter" and...

4) the message was immediately moved to local outbox! That is totally
wrong! What if I decide to send it later in another computer where I can
access that account? So so silly. Can I change that somewhere?

WaltS48

Aug 8, 2018, 8:53:59 PM8/8/18
On 8/8/18 7:46 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Em 08-08-2018 20:30, David E. Ross escreveu:
>> On 8/8/2018 3:07 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
>>> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
>>> the message I was just now!
>>
>> The message should be in the Outbox folder under Local Folders.
>>

> Oh! It is there!! Thank you very very very much! I am so happy to see it
> there, together with several tests I did now with other messages. Now I
> finished it and sent. How did you find that? I tried to search for a
> list of TB shortcuts and actions, but all I found was unrelated things,
> besides
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts
>
> which is annoying to use to reach any shortcut... click, click, click...
> no, not here... back, back, ... click, click, ... grrrrrrr!
>
> I found
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts#w_message-functions
>
> which has
>
>> Send Message Later    [Ctrl] +[Shift] + [Enter] [Command] + [Shift] +
>>             [Return]
>
> Understand "Command" as separate key of from the previous "Enter"; the
> whole quote seem to be two different shortcuts for the same action.

One is for Windows and Linux.

The [Command] + [Shift] + [Return] is for Macs. Macs don't have the Ctrl
or Enter keys on their keyboards.

> Shouldn't that action save a message in the account's draft folder,
> instead of local outbox? What a silly thing to do! I just tested:
>
> 1) compose a message with an email account
>
> 2) click "save" to have its draft in account's draft folder
>
> 3) pressed "ctrl+shift+enter" and...
>
> 4) the message was immediately moved to local outbox! That is totally
> wrong! What if I decide to send it later in another computer where I can
> access that account? So so silly. Can I change that somewhere?

Looks like it is totally right to me.

You used one command Save > As Draft to save it, and with the
Composition window still open, used Ctrl + Shift + Enter, to Send Later,
closing the message and saving it to the Outbox.

I think the solution is to Save > As Draft. Then when you have completed
the email, and want to send it later use the key combination, or File >
Send Later command.

You might want to open each item in the Composition windows Menu Bar.
File, Edit, View, etc. and review them. All that have key commands, have
them alongside the command name.

Some examples:

File > New > Message Ctrl+N.
File > Send Later Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Edit > Undo Ctrl+Z
View > Attachment Pane Alt+M

Get the idea?

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Mark Rousell

Aug 9, 2018, 1:28:32 AM8/9/18
to Balaco ocalaB, gen...@lists.mozilla.org
On 08/08/2018 23:07, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
> the message I was just now!

This is the same as clicking File|'Send Later' in the compose window.
The message is stored in the Outbox folder in Local Folders.

You can't directly edit the message. You can either send it (by clicking
File|'Send Unsent Messages'), or you can delete it, or you can
right-click it and choose 'Edit As New Message' from the context menu.

--
Mark Rousell

Caver1

Aug 9, 2018, 7:28:33 AM8/9/18
On 08/08/2018 07:23 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Em 08-08-2018 20:06, Caver1 escreveu:
>> On 08/08/2018 06:07 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> Very quick question. In Thunderbird, where a composing windows goes to
>>> when I click "ctrl+shift+enter" ?????????? I want to continue writing
>>> the message I was just now!
>>>

>> If you have the addressee and subject entered it gets sent to the
>> addressee.
>> If you don't have those entered you will get a dialog box and nothing
>> else happens.
>>

> But this is wrong. The message was not sent, or I would have seen that
> happening, and that takes a few seconds. And I would have a copy of the
> message in my sent folder, which I do not. Although the message body was
> unfinished, it could be sent (the sender is one email account I have
> configured here; the to, cc and coo were there too; subject too). The
> window disappeared immediately. No copy of it in the draft folder for
> that account (was the first place I tried to find it), where it surely
> was while I was writing things.

I tried this after your post and that is exactly what happened here,

--
Caver1

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 9, 2018, 7:44:53 AM8/9/18
If you are pressing the right key combination I said, you are wrong.
Another possibility is if you modified items+shortcuts. See the other
branch of this discussion. I will not answer you here again.

David E. Ross

Aug 9, 2018, 10:38:31 AM8/9/18
On 8/8/2018 4:46 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote [in part]:
> Oh! It is there!! Thank you very very very much! I am so happy to see it
> there, together with several tests I did now with other messages. Now I
> finished it and sent. How did you find that? I tried to search for a
> list of TB shortcuts and actions, but all I found was unrelated things,
> besides

I do not remember how I originally found it. I installed the Send Later
button on Thunderbird's Compose window over two years ago and use it
frequently. However, I do not remember where I got that button; it is
NOT part of the Toolbar Buttons extension.

David E. Ross

Aug 9, 2018, 10:59:05 AM8/9/18
On 8/9/2018 7:38 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 8/8/2018 4:46 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote [in part]:
>> Oh! It is there!! Thank you very very very much! I am so happy to see it
>> there, together with several tests I did now with other messages. Now I
>> finished it and sent. How did you find that? I tried to search for a
>> list of TB shortcuts and actions, but all I found was unrelated things,
>> besides
>
> I do not remember how I originally found it. I installed the Send Later
> button on Thunderbird's Compose window over two years ago and use it
> frequently. However, I do not remember where I got that button; it is
> NOT part of the Toolbar Buttons extension.

I just remembered that Thunderbird's Addons Manager might show me where
I got the button. It was from
<https://www.thunderbird-mail.de/lexicon/entry/154-sp%C3%A4ter-senden-schaltfl%C3%A4che/>.
The excaped characters in the URI (e.g., %C3) are a result of the URI
containing German characters.

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 9, 2018, 7:38:44 PM8/9/18
Get my point of view:

I never used "save as draft" from the compose menu you point, nor any of
the menu action; I just use the buttons in main TB window or in the
compose window, which are, by far, the two most seen windows for me; I
just use the "save" button in compose window, which also has an arrow
down that shows two more options, save as file, save as model/template,
that I have rarely used. ctrl+enter to send is something I use a lot,
and whatever I do to send messages, I must always confirm each one
before it is really sent. So ctrl+shift+enter removing my not yet sent
message from the draft folder, where it *should always be* - because I
usually write medium or long messages, and I configure all accounts to
save updated drafts every minute-, is something that I *REAAAAAAALY
really dislike*! Local folder?! WTF! I *never* want to use something
local when I have things in a server that I can and will access from
anywhere! (...) I will just disable this nonsense function shortcut -
and I am guessing that, unfortunately, I will need to install an addon
to be able to do that.

I "discovered" what ctrl+shift+enter did by testing keys, trying to find
something I do not remember now what it was yesterday...

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 9, 2018, 7:48:25 PM8/9/18
Em 09-08-2018 11:58, David E. Ross escreveu:
> On 8/9/2018 7:38 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 8/8/2018 4:46 PM, Balaco ocalaB wrote [in part]:
>>> Oh! It is there!! Thank you very very very much! I am so happy to see it
>>> there, together with several tests I did now with other messages. Now I
>>> finished it and sent. How did you find that? I tried to search for a
>>> list of TB shortcuts and actions, but all I found was unrelated things,
>>> besides
>>
>> I do not remember how I originally found it. I installed the Send Later
>> button on Thunderbird's Compose window over two years ago and use it
>> frequently. However, I do not remember where I got that button; it is
>> NOT part of the Toolbar Buttons extension.
>>

> I just remembered that Thunderbird's Addons Manager might show me where
> I got the button. It was from
> <https://www.thunderbird-mail.de/lexicon/entry/154-sp%C3%A4ter-senden-schaltfl%C3%A4che/>.
> The excaped characters in the URI (e.g., %C3) are a result of the URI
> containing German characters.

When I asked how you found it, I was thinking that you searched the web
or TB related things to what the known shortcut did. But your situation
is completely different. You have a button with something that is also
in the compose window menu, but I had never seen or heard about that
"Send later" function. You use it frequently? That is a surprise to me,
for a simple reason I have said in the other branch of this discussion:
I will *never* want to save a local copy (i.e., "send later") when I
have the option to save a server copy to easily and naturally access
anywhere (i.e., draft in IMAP account). The "save" button is already in
my window, and the simplest and "known-est"¹ shortcut of ctrl+s. So the
pointed addon is not something I that attracts me.

¹ known-est: That is (or should be) the "most known". Got it?

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 9, 2018, 8:12:50 PM8/9/18
I had never opened the menu where that option is, the compose window, so
I had never seen it. I wrote more details about this in the other
branches of this discussion.

When I discovered the "lost" message was in my local outbox, I did
nothing among what you said. I *moved* it to the draft folder of the
account where I started it the first time. After that, I simply finished
the message and sent it.

And "edit as new message" is something I use a lot, but in different
basic situations.

(:

Mark Rousell

Aug 10, 2018, 9:31:06 PM8/10/18
On 10/08/2018 01:12, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> I wrote more details about this in the other branches of this discussion.

Yes, I saw eventually. Unfortunately I didn't get the other messages in
the thread until after I had written my message and it took my message
about 6 hours to appears on the list.

> When I discovered the "lost" message was in my local outbox, I did
> nothing among what you said. I *moved* it to the draft folder of the
> account where I started it the first time. After that, I simply
> finished the message and sent it.

Ah, a very good idea about moving it to a draft folder.

--
Mark Rousell

Balaco ocalaB

Aug 10, 2018, 10:09:10 PM8/10/18
Em 10-08-2018 12:02, Mark Rousell escreveu:
> On 10/08/2018 01:12, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>> I wrote more details about this in the other branches of this discussion.
>
> Yes, I saw eventually. Unfortunately I didn't get the other messages in
> the thread until after I had written my message and it took my message
> about 6 hours to appears on the list.

6 hours? There is something wrong with you! All the messages I post to
these groups appear in it after around 30 seconds, and nothing more -
unless my Internet connection is not working!

>> When I discovered the "lost" message was in my local outbox, I did
>> nothing among what you said. I *moved* it to the draft folder of the
>> account where I started it the first time. After that, I simply
>> finished the message and sent it.
>
> Ah, a very good idea about moving it to a draft folder.

That is where is was, to start! But the uyucked TB moved it out there,
and without the intention to send it, due that sad and destructive
shortcut I will disable soon...

Mark Rousell

Aug 11, 2018, 3:05:45 PM8/11/18
On 11/08/2018 03:09, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
> Em 10-08-2018 12:02, Mark Rousell escreveu:
>> On 10/08/2018 01:12, Balaco ocalaB wrote:
>>> I wrote more details about this in the other branches of this
>>> discussion.
>>
>> Yes, I saw eventually. Unfortunately I didn't get the other messages in
>> the thread until after I had written my message and it took my message
>> about 6 hours to appears on the list.
>>

> 6 hours? There is something wrong with you! All the messages I post to
> these groups appear in it after around 30 seconds, and nothing more -
> unless my Internet connection is not working!

And that one was delayed by over 10 hours!

Looks like the delay was within lists.mozilla.org. Here's the header
extract that shows it. The message hung around within lists.mozilla.org
between 15:03 UTC and 01:30 UTC the next morning.

by lists.mozilla.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 96BB7444E1
for <gen...@lists.mozilla.org>; Fri, 10 Aug 2018 15:03:06 +0000 (UTC)

--
Mark Rousell

Richard Alan

Aug 11, 2018, 3:38:39 PM8/11/18
Mark Rousell wrote:

> And that one was delayed by over 10 hours!
>
> Looks like the delay was within lists.mozilla.org.

Yes, it is. Those of us who post here using a newsreader find that the
"delay" is mere seconds.

Daniel

Aug 12, 2018, 3:31:41 AM8/12/18
I was going to suggest that, sometimes, posts are held up whilst they
get moderated, but that, as far as I know, is posts to the
mozilla.support.* groups, so, as your post is to this moz.gen group,
that shouldn't apply!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Daniel

Aug 13, 2018, 3:45:49 AM8/13/18
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 13/08/2018 3:17 AM:
> On 12/08/2018 08:31, Daniel wrote:
>>

>> I was going to suggest that, sometimes, posts are held up whilst
>> they get moderated,
>>

> This is not quite correct. Somebody posting for the first time in
> Thunderbird or Firefox newsgroups will find his posts appear almost
> immediately. The moderator only holds those people who are
> habitually violating the rules of the newsgroup. For example when
> somebody asks a simple question about how something can be done, then
> there is no point in giving a 3 page answer to it. Those posts are
> likely to be held and almost not likely to appear.

Habitual rules violators and newbies until they establish a "good habits
profile", AFAIK.

> However, sometimes the newsgroup is just down. For example, I posted
> on FF and TB just now and none of them appeared. So clearly the
> nodes for FF and TB are not operational. I have never been on the
> black-list and my posts normally appear almost immediately. I use
> HTML and I posts links to images and still they are within the rules;
> People have complained but Chris has told them in no uncertain terms
> that HTML and links to "relevant" material is allowed.

ChrisI is the only name I've heard w.r.t moderation of the moz.support
groups, and even he deserves to sleep and have some time off work, so
that's were I factored in any delays in posts for newcomers being held up.

I could be wrong, though!! ;-)

Daniel

Aug 14, 2018, 3:04:31 AM8/14/18
😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 14/08/2018 1:05 AM:
> On 13/08/2018 08:45, Daniel wrote:
>>

>> I could be wrong, though!! ;-)
>>

> Yes you are wrong.
>
> Most people don't have any problems;  Yesterday the Node or Nodes were
> down.  My posts appeared several hours later.  I can see WaltS' posts
> also appeared at the same time.  I doubt if we are both on the
> blacklist.  My posts appears almost immediately but yesterday was just
> completely different.  I can see many posts started appearing LATE.
>
> what is required is ChrisI to check the configuration once again to see
> if he could start afresh and see if there is any improvements in
> habits.  Mind you some trolls will always remain trolls and they are
> going to remain on the blacklist of whoever takes over from ChrisI when
> he decides to do something else.

O.K.!

Mark Rousell

Aug 14, 2018, 2:12:21 PM8/14/18
to gen...@lists.mozilla.org
On 12/08/2018 08:31, Daniel wrote:
> I was going to suggest that, sometimes, posts are held up whilst they
> get moderated, but that, as far as I know, is posts to the
> mozilla.support.* groups, so, as your post is to this moz.gen group,
> that shouldn't apply!!

It's odd but I don't post often to m.general so I didn't feel it was
worth finding the cause.

--
Mark Rousell

Mark Rousell

Aug 15, 2018, 4:11:28 AM8/15/18
to gen...@lists.mozilla.org
On 13/08/2018 08:45, Daniel wrote:
> 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote on 13/08/2018 3:17 AM:
>> On 12/08/2018 08:31, Daniel wrote:
>>>

>>> I was going to suggest that, sometimes, posts are held up whilst
>>> they get moderated,
>>>

>> This is not quite correct. Somebody posting for the first time in
>> Thunderbird or Firefox newsgroups will find his posts appear almost
>> immediately. The moderator only holds those people who are
>> habitually violating the rules of the newsgroup. For example when
>> somebody asks a simple question about how something can be done, then
>> there is no point in giving a 3 page answer to it. Those posts are
>> likely to be held and almost not likely to appear.
>
> Habitual rules violators and newbies until they establish a "good
> habits profile", AFAIK.

I'm not aware that I've demonstrated any bad habits and I've only been a
member here since October 2015 with this email address and since 2008
(!) with my previous email address. ;-)

--
Mark Rousell