Switching TBPL off at the end of the month

Ed Morley

Mar 8, 2015, 7:54:03 PM3/8/15
to dev-tree-...@lists.mozilla.org, Mauro Doglio, auto-tools, firefox-dev-owner list, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-platform, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, Dawson, Cameron
tl;dr: Barring any surprises, we would like to switch off TBPL [1] at the
end of the month.

==

Treeherder (TBPL's replacement)[2] has been in production since the summer,
and used as the primary tree-management tool by sheriffs since September.
Since then, the majority of users of TBPL have switched over to Treeherder
and the survey of remaining TBPL users has not revealed any major surprises
(bug 1117183).

More critically, TBPL is no longer capable of giving an accurate indication
of tree health, or for determining whether a Try push was successful, since:

* TBPL is not being used by the sheriffs, so failures on integration
repositories are not classified.
* The TBPL hidden/visible jobs list is not up to date, so it's hard to tell
which failures are expected vs real breakage.
* Support for new buildbot job/platform types are only being added to
Treeherder, so there are already jobs not recognised by TBPL.
* Most importantly: TBPL only supports displaying buildbot build/test
results, but there are now other submitters of data such as Taskcluster -
which are only supported on Treeherder.

We're concious that there are some papercuts/feature regressions when
comparing TBPL to Treeherder (for example UI performance/responsiveness),
however these are actively being worked on and aside from the remaining
deps of bug 1059400, are not expected to block TBPL end of life.

If anyone has objections, now would be a good time to raise them - please
send replies to dev.tree-management (subscribe for Treeherder news, that
group is now free of talos-alerts) or comment in bug 1054977 :-)

Wikis/other external links have been updated to link to Treeherder instead
of TBPL some time ago, as have hghooks & other tooling. We will also set up
redirects initially, from tbpl.m.o to treeherder.m.o.

Many thanks,

Ed

[1] http://tbpl.mozilla.org/
[2] http://treeherder.mozilla.org/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Auto-tools/Projects/Treeherder

Eric Shepherd

Mar 9, 2015, 8:06:46 PM3/9/15
to Ed Morley, Mauro Doglio, dev-tree-management, auto-tools, firefox-dev-owner firefox-dev-owner, dev-gaia, "dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org", dev-b2g, Cameron Dawson
And I’d like to thank you guys for updating the relevant pages on MDN as part of your project. This is a big help for not just the writing team but all of Mozilla.

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer
Mozilla
https://developer.mozilla.org/
Blog: http://www.bitstampede.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sheppy

On Mar 8, 2015, 7:52:59 PM, Ed Morley <emo...@mozilla.com> wrote: tl;dr: Barring any surprises, we would like to switch off TBPL [1] at the end of the month. == Treeherder (TBPL's replacement)[2] has been in production since the summer, and used as the primary tree-management tool by sheriffs since September. Since then, the majority of users of TBPL have switched over to Treeherder and the survey of remaining TBPL users has not revealed any major surprises (bug 1117183). More critically, TBPL is no longer capable of giving an accurate indication of tree health, or for determining whether a Try push was successful, since: * TBPL is not being used by the sheriffs, so failures on integration repositories are not classified. * The TBPL hidden/visible jobs list is not up to date, so it's hard to tell which failures are expected vs real breakage. * Support for new buildbot job/platform types are only being added to Treeherder, so there are already jobs not recognised by TBPL. * Most importantly: TBPL only supports displaying buildbot build/test results, but there are now other submitters of data such as Taskcluster - which are only supported on Treeherder. We're concious that there are some papercuts/feature regressions when comparing TBPL to Treeherder (for example UI performance/responsiveness), however these are actively being worked on and aside from the remaining deps of bug 1059400, are not expected to block TBPL end of life. If anyone has objections, now would be a good time to raise them - please send replies to dev.tree-management (subscribe for Treeherder news, that group is now free of talos-alerts) or comment in bug 1054977 :-) Wikis/other external links have been updated to link to Treeherder instead of TBPL some time ago, as have hghooks & other tooling. We will also set up redirects initially, from tbpl.m.o to treeherder.m.o. Many thanks, Ed [1] http://tbpl.mozilla.org/ [2] http://treeherder.mozilla.org/ https://wiki.mozilla.org/Auto-tools/Projects/Treeherder _______________________________________________ dev-platform mailing list dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-platform

Doug Turner

Mar 13, 2015, 1:44:16 PM3/13/15
+1