Extend deadline for April 2017 CA Communication?

Kathleen Wilson

Apr 21, 2017, 5:37:06 PM4/21/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
All,

I've been receiving requests from CAs for an extension to when they need to respond to the April 2017 CA Communication.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Communications#April_2017
"To respond to this survey, login to the Common CA Database (CCADB), click on the 'CA Communications (Page)' tab, and select the 'April 2017 CA Communication' survey. Please enter your response by April 28, 2017."

I propose that we extend the response date one week, to May 5, 2017.

Please let me know if you foresee any problems with this.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Ryan Sleevi

Apr 21, 2017, 7:08:17 PM4/21/17
to Kathleen Wilson, mozilla-dev-security-policy
That sounds reasonable.

I think it'd be useful to consider, in granting this extension, if you
might be able to capture freeform text (perhaps unattributed) as to why
these CAs need more time. This might help improve the process in the future
without running the risk of coordinated non-answering :)

Kathleen Wilson

Apr 21, 2017, 7:22:40 PM4/21/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
> might be able to capture freeform text (perhaps unattributed) as to why

Sure, below is a summary in my own words of why CAs are asking for an extension. Note that the April 2017 survey has many more action items than previous CA Communications, so I think it is reasonable that CAs might need more time to prepare all the answers.

- people out-of-office who are needed to respond to the survey (vacations, business, health)

- in the middle of an audit, so the people who are needed to respond to the survey are extremely busy

- in the middle of data center upgrade/move, so the people who are needed to respond to the survey are extremely busy

Kathleen

Kathleen Wilson

Apr 24, 2017, 4:07:57 PM4/24/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I added a note about the extension to May 5 to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Communications#April_2017

Cheers,
Kathleen