APZ enabled on Fennec nightly

Kartikaya Gupta

Nov 30, 2015, 11:38:00 AM11/30/15
to dev-platform
Hi all,

Just a heads up that I landed the patch to enable APZ on Fennec
(nightly channel only for now). It should be in the Dec 1 nightly and
onwards. This will make scrolling around, and general touch input
handling, feel different on Fennec. The main improvement should be
that scrolling of iframes and overflow:scroll divs will be smoother
and faster.

If you find bugs, or behaviour differences that you feel make things
worse, please file them in the "Graphics, Panning and Zooming"
component of the "Firefox for Android" component and we'll take a
look.

Thanks!
kats

Robert O'Callahan

Nov 30, 2015, 4:00:40 PM11/30/15
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-platform
Fantastic!!!

Rob
--
lbir ye,ea yer.tnietoehr rdn rdsme,anea lurpr edna e hnysnenh hhe uresyf
toD

Mark Finkle

Dec 1, 2015, 11:27:47 AM12/1/15
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-platform, mobile-fi...@mozilla.org
Awesome! Thanks to the team that made this happen.

(CC'ing dev-mobile-firefox too)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Kartikaya Gupta <kgu...@mozilla.com>

Kearwood "Kip" Gilbert

Dec 1, 2015, 2:14:25 PM12/1/15
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-platform
Excellent, Kats!!

Perhaps this will also unblock smooth scrolling and scroll snapping for fennec.

Cheers,
- Kearwood “Kip” Gilbert

Kartikaya Gupta

Dec 1, 2015, 2:32:39 PM12/1/15
to Kearwood Kip Gilbert, dev-platform
Yes, I will be testing those features on Fennec later this week and
enabling them as well if they work well (or investigating why if they
don't). :)

garr...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2015, 11:31:22 AM12/2/15
Thanks for hard the work on this! I'm happy you're working on improving the scrolling.

Since the change, I've noticed a few things:

1. Reader mode's toolbar now sometimes seems to jump up and down several times.

2. Deceleration takes too long to happen (the page seems to just float for far too long after flings happen, especially for slower, smaller flings). It's much slower than other apps, and it also feels much slower than I remember for Firefox before the update.

3. Quick flings don't jump up or down on the page as quickly as they previously did, making more work to get back up to the top of a page, or to quickly jump down to read the summary paragraph of an article.

This is all on a Nexus 6P running stock Android Marshmallow, by-the-way. It might feel different on other devices.

Again, thanks for working on this! I know it's a WIP in Nightly it's probably subject to change a little with a few tweaks.

Cheers,
Garrett

Kartikaya Gupta

Dec 2, 2015, 12:39:41 PM12/2/15
to garr...@gmail.com, dev-platform
Thanks for trying it out and reporting these issues! I've filed them
as separate bugs - bug 1229840, bug 1229839, and bug 1229841. We
should be able to address 2 and 3 by tuning some prefs, 1 will take a
bit more investigation.

Cheers,
kats

Jared Wein

Dec 13, 2015, 11:31:07 PM12/13/15
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-platform, garr...@gmail.com
Nice feedback on Reddit about the changes. Great job!

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/3wo4rm/nightlyandroid_scroll_speed_is_improving/

- jared