WebRender on in Firefox Nightly for Windows 10 Nvidia

Jeff Muizelaar

Sep 12, 2018, 4:07:20 PM9/12/18
to firefox-dev, Mozilla
In bug 1490742 I have enabled WebRender in Nightly on non-laptop
Windows 10 Nvidia (~17% of our Nightly audience). This is a rewrite of
much the graphics backend in Firefox. We expect some edge-case
regressions, but generally nothing serious. We have quite a few staff
and volunteers who have been using WebRender for months without major
issues.

If you're on this hardware and you see a problem please file a bug.
You can check if you're using WebRender by looking at the Compositing
section of about:support. Further, WebRender should be generally
usable on all platforms other than Android right now so if you want to
be keen you can try it out now with the gfx.webrender.all pref.

-Jeff

Jean-Yves Avenard

Sep 12, 2018, 4:38:46 PM9/12/18
to Jeff Muizelaar, firefox-dev, Mozilla
What an achievement…

Congrats to you and the team….

JY

Justin Dolske

Sep 12, 2018, 4:43:17 PM9/12/18
to Mozilla, firefox-dev
\o/ Congrats on this major milestone! Exciting times for Firefox ahead! :D

Justin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyav...@mozilla.com>

Marissa (Reese) Morris

Sep 12, 2018, 5:57:14 PM9/12/18
to Justin Dolske, Mozilla, firefox-dev
This is awesome! Congrats!

Marissa (Reese) Morris | Cell Phone <tel:303-506-3282> 303-506-3282 | <mailto:re...@mozilla.com> re...@mozilla.com | Slack: #Marissa (Reese)

\o/ Congrats on this major milestone! Exciting times for Firefox ahead! :D

Justin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyav...@mozilla.com <mailto:jyav...@mozilla.com> > wrote:

What an achievement…

Congrats to you and the team….

JY

> On 12 Sep 2018, at 10:07 pm, Jeff Muizelaar <jmuiz...@mozilla.com <mailto:jmuiz...@mozilla.com> > wrote:
>
> In bug 1490742 I have enabled WebRender in Nightly on non-laptop
> Windows 10 Nvidia (~17% of our Nightly audience). This is a rewrite of
> much the graphics backend in Firefox. We expect some edge-case
> regressions, but generally nothing serious. We have quite a few staff
> and volunteers who have been using WebRender for months without major
> issues.
>
> If you're on this hardware and you see a problem please file a bug.
> You can check if you're using WebRender by looking at the Compositing
> section of about:support. Further, WebRender should be generally
> usable on all platforms other than Android right now so if you want to
> be keen you can try it out now with the gfx.webrender.all pref.
>
> -Jeff

Andreas Bovens

Sep 12, 2018, 7:36:07 PM9/12/18
to Jeff Muizelaar, firefox-dev, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Amazing news and a true milestone! Congrats to everyone who's been working
to make this happen! 🎉

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 21:07 Jeff Muizelaar, <jmuiz...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> In bug 1490742 I have enabled WebRender in Nightly on non-laptop
> Windows 10 Nvidia (~17% of our Nightly audience). This is a rewrite of
> much the graphics backend in Firefox. We expect some edge-case
> regressions, but generally nothing serious. We have quite a few staff
> and volunteers who have been using WebRender for months without major
> issues.
>
> If you're on this hardware and you see a problem please file a bug.
> You can check if you're using WebRender by looking at the Compositing
> section of about:support. Further, WebRender should be generally
> usable on all platforms other than Android right now so if you want to
> be keen you can try it out now with the gfx.webrender.all pref.
>
> -Jeff

ferdy.c...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2018, 4:04:49 PM9/14/18
Congrats on the milestone.

That said, I do want to report that my attempt to try it failed miserably.

I installed the new nightly. Upon first opening, I noticed that the welcome page was having minor glitches, white lines flickering when scrolling.

Testing on one of my own pages (some arguably complex in compositing) I see several misplaced pixels, shadows breaking, etc. The browser then crashed, then froze up all of Windows for a few minutes.

After shutting down Nightly via task manager, I opened up Developer Edition, my go-to browser. It seems the Nighty crash took down all of that too. I've tried several restarts but it failed to launch. I had to start from a new profile, and lost all my optimizations, add-ons, history, passwords.

Maybe I'm just terribly unlucky. I'm on Windows 10 using a Nvidia GTX1070. I allowed the sending of crash reports when it crashed.

Jeff Muizelaar

Sep 14, 2018, 4:20:45 PM9/14/18
to ferdy.c...@gmail.com, Mozilla
Can you reproduce this? Either way, you can reply to me off list and
we can try to figure out what's going on.

-Jeff

Jim Mathies

Sep 19, 2018, 12:02:14 PM9/19/18
Hey Jeff, do you all have a release target for this group of users? Also, curious what your plans are for shipping to the entire user base. Can you shed some light on this?

Jim

Thomas Elin

Sep 19, 2018, 1:03:01 PM9/19/18
to Jim Mathies, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey Jim

Our current plan is for Version 1 (Windows 10 Nividia users) to ride to
release with Fx64. Although, this plan is considered 'At Risk' due to the
high number of blocker bugs <https://mzl.la/2CnYS5F> the team is currently
working through.

We are however reporting 'On track' for getting Version 1 to ride to beta
with Fx64.

As for releasing to the rest of Firefox. Version 2 and beyond has not yet
been scoped but I am happy to share more information with you as I have it.

Cheers
Thomas