GGC (generational garbage collection) has landed for B2G

Steve Fink

Sep 16, 2014, 3:45:16 PM9/16/14
to dev-platform, Terrence Cole, Jon Coppeard
GGC was enabled yesterday (2014-Sep-15) on b2g-inbound with bug 1020751.
It has not yet been merged into mozilla-central, but I expect it will be
soon. GGC is already on desktop Firefox, and in fact just shipped with
Firefox 32. Keep an eye out for regressions on FxOS. Or improvements,
for that matter -- we'd be interested in any real-world workloads that
see significant changes.

Also note that exact rooting is now enabled everywhere, and has been for
some time. The conservative collector has been removed (bug 914402).

Mobile Firefox does not yet use the generational collector, for no
particular reason. I will likely be turning that on shortly (though
we'll see what the try server has to say about it first!)

Jonas Sicking

Sep 16, 2014, 4:14:50 PM9/16/14
to Steve Fink, Jon Coppeard, Terrence Cole, dev-platform
Woot!! Exciting stuff!

Asa Dotzler

Sep 16, 2014, 5:34:51 PM9/16/14
On 9/16/14, 12:45 PM, Steve Fink wrote:
> GGC was enabled yesterday (2014-Sep-15) on b2g-inbound with bug 1020751.
> It has not yet been merged into mozilla-central, but I expect it will be
> soon. GGC is already on desktop Firefox, and in fact just shipped with
> Firefox 32. Keep an eye out for regressions on FxOS. Or improvements,
> for that matter -- we'd be interested in any real-world workloads that
> see significant changes.

What kind of regressions should we be on the lookout for and in what
situations? Performance? Jank? Stability?

- A

Gabriele Svelto

Sep 17, 2014, 8:53:28 AM9/17/14
to Steve Fink, dev-platform
Having previously worked on a couple of GCs I must say this is amazing
work! I don't know many other large, complex code bases such as Gecko
that were moved successfully from a conservative mark-and-sweep
collector to an accurate generational one. Bravo to everyone involved!

Gabriele
signature.asc

Terrence Cole

Sep 17, 2014, 1:09:37 PM9/17/14
to Asa Dotzler, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Also memory usage and OOM handling. We've had several months to clean
things up for desktop; we don't expect any huge issues, although we do
have different tuning parameters for the smaller devices. It's hard to
tell in advance what sort of issues changing the GC behavior is going to
cause or we'd have already investigated.

Cheers,
Terrence