Intent to shut down Mozilla instance of WebPagetest.

Bob Clary

Oct 13, 2014, 6:17:14 PM10/13/14
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
I have been running a custom instance of WebPagetest
(http://www.webpagetest.org/) which tests page loading performance for
different bandwidths for Firefox builds on 32 bit Windows 7.

Due to lack of interest, I would like to shut the system down. If you
do not want the tool to be shut down, please let me know. If no one
expresses interest, I will shut down the system after the end of the
month.

Background

You can run the public WebPagetest tests using the released versions
of Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer using the public instance at
(http://webpagetest.org/). I ran several example tests on the public
instance which you can review to get a feeling for what Webpagetest
does.

Firefox native - http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141013_KZ_XVK/
Chrome native - http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141013_NB_XT2/
IE11 native - http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141013_0G_XT7/

These may expire, but you should be able to re-run the tests yourself
if these have already expired.

The Mozilla instance of WebPagetest is available from the Mozilla
VPN. If you do not have access, you can file a Service Desk request to
gain access to http://perf-linux-001.ateam.scl3.mozilla.com/.

You can submit test jobs for any Windows 32bit build from
(http://perf-linux-001.ateam.scl3.mozilla.com/wpt-controller) and view
the full test results from the WebPagetest instance at
(http://perf-linux-001.ateam.scl3.mozilla.com/). You will receive
email notifications as the jobs runs with links to the test results
when each url completes testing. You can test Firefox builds by
providing a url to the Windows 32 bit installer for the build you wish
to test.

The system is configured to support the following bandwidths

3G (1.6 Mbps/768 Kbps 300ms RTT)
56K Dial-Up (49/30 Kbps 120ms RTT)
Broadband (10 Mbps/10 Mbps 90ms RTT)
Cable (5/1 Mbps 28ms RTT)
Classic Mobile (400 Kbps/400 Kbps 300ms RTT)
DSL (1.5 Mbps/384 Kbps 50ms RTT)
FIOS (20/5 Mbps 4ms RTT)
Modern Mobile (1 Mbps/1 Mbps 150ms RTT)
Native Connection (No Traffic Shaping)

and allows testing either a single custom url or one or more of the
following live web sites:

http://cnn.com/
http://www.yahoo.com/
http://www.mozilla.org/
https://www.facebook.com/
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox
http://pinterest.com/all/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Empire
http://www.nytimes.com/

These live web sites have been automatically tested each day with a
Nightly build using the Broadband, Modern Mobile and Classic Mobile
bandwidth settings and the results posted to datazilla at
https://datazilla.mozilla.org/?product=Firefox&repository=mozilla-central&os=WINNT&os_version=6.1

/bc