Build System Project - Update from the last 2 weeks

David Burns

Mar 21, 2016, 7:23:22 AM3/21/16
to firef...@mozilla.org, dev-platform
Below is a highlight of all work the build peers have done in the last 2
weeks as part of their work to modernise the build infrastructure.

Since the last report[1] we have seen thousands of lines of configure and
m4 code removed from mozilla-central. We have removed over 30 Makefiles
from mozilla-central. The removal of the Makefiles gives us what we need to
use more performant build backends in the future.

In case you missed it, you can now make Artifact Builds[3] if you are using
git[4]. If you find any issues, please raise bugs against Core :: Build
Config.

Finally, we are seeing huge improvements in build times by switching to
Visual Studio 2015. There are however a few regressions in moving to the
latest version. gps has asked for assistance[5] in helping finalise what we
need to make the move. If you can, help get this over the line!

Regards,

David

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/PD7Lmot1H3I

[2]