Stylo now the default configuration for mozilla-central

J. Ryan Stinnett

Sep 5, 2017, 4:11:18 PM9/5/17
to dev-platform
Assuming bug 1330412 sticks, Stylo will be the default configuration for
mozilla-central for all platforms except Android. Thanks to everyone
involved with Stylo that helped us reach this stage!

Nightly users should not notice much change, since there was already an
active experiment that enabled Stylo for most of the Nightly population.

To ensure the old style system remains functional as a fallback,
separate "Stylo
disabled" test platforms have been added. We will also have a small subset
of the population using the old style system via experiments.

As always, if you encounter any issues that could be Stylo related, you can
check Stylo status in about:support. Please file a bug[1] in Core :: CSS
Parsing and Computation with "Stylo: " in the subject, or stop by #servo on
IRC.

[1]:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?component=CSS%20Parsing%20and%20Computation&product=Core&short_desc=Stylo%3A%20

- Ryan

Chris Peterson

Sep 5, 2017, 5:55:20 PM9/5/17
On 2017-09-05 1:10 PM, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
> Assuming bug 1330412 sticks, Stylo will be the default configuration for
> mozilla-central for all platforms except Android. Thanks to everyone
> involved with Stylo that helped us reach this stage!

Awesome! Thanks for flipping the switch, Ryan.

> To ensure the old style system remains functional as a fallback,
> separate "Stylo
> disabled" test platforms have been added. We will also have a small subset
> of the population using the old style system via experiments.

Just to be clear, the "stylo-disabled" test platforms will ride the
trains to Beta and Release to ensure that Gecko's old style system has
complete test coverage, in case we need to disable Stylo and revert to
the old style system at the last minute of Beta 57.

We can stop testing the "stylo-disabled" test platforms on Mac and
Windows after we ship Stylo to Release. We can remove them entirely
after we ship Stylo on Android.

L. David Baron

Sep 5, 2017, 7:16:16 PM9/5/17
to Chris Peterson, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tuesday 2017-09-05 14:55 -0700, Chris Peterson wrote:
> We can stop testing the "stylo-disabled" test platforms on Mac and Windows
> after we ship Stylo to Release. We can remove them entirely after we ship
> Stylo on Android.

I think removing those test platforms should also depend on shipping
Stylo for XUL, and for that matter, getting rid of all the code in:
nsIDocument::UpdateStyleBackendType:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/4d8e389498a08668cce9ebf6232cc96be178c3e4/dom/base/nsDocument.cpp#13525-13552
and making it always return StyleBackendType::Servo (or deleting the
function, of course). Otherwise we risk taking substantial
regressions in the CSS code backing much of our user interface.

-David

--
𝄞 L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
𝄢 Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂

Bobby Holley

Sep 5, 2017, 8:26:11 PM9/5/17
to L. David Baron, Chris Peterson, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 2017-09-05 14:55 -0700, Chris Peterson wrote:
> > We can stop testing the "stylo-disabled" test platforms on Mac and
> Windows
> > after we ship Stylo to Release. We can remove them entirely after we ship
> > Stylo on Android.
>
> I think removing those test platforms should also depend on shipping
> Stylo for XUL, and for that matter, getting rid of all the code in:
> nsIDocument::UpdateStyleBackendType:
> https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/4d8e389498a08668cce9ebf6232cc9
> 6be178c3e4/dom/base/nsDocument.cpp#13525-13552
> and making it always return StyleBackendType::Servo (or deleting the
> function, of course). Otherwise we risk taking substantial
> regressions in the CSS code backing much of our user interface.

Yes, this sounds like the right thing to do.

> -David
>
> --
> 𝄞 L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
> 𝄢 Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂