PSA: Please stop revving UUIDs when changing XPIDL interface

Ehsan Akhgari

Jan 29, 2016, 4:53:24 PM1/29/16
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
(Sending this in another thread in case people didn't see my note at the
end of the original thread.)

The new rules are in effect for mozilla-central and the repositories that
merge into it. Revving UUIDs is no longer necessary.

Happy hacking!

--
Ehsan

Gregory Szorc

Feb 1, 2016, 12:42:30 AM2/1/16
to Ehsan Akhgari, dev-platform
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (Sending this in another thread in case people didn't see my note at the
> end of the original thread.)
>
> The new rules are in effect for mozilla-central and the repositories that
> merge into it. Revving UUIDs is no longer necessary.

Is `mach update-uuids` still necessary? If not, can we get a bug on file to
remove it?

Ehsan Akhgari

Feb 1, 2016, 10:20:14 AM2/1/16
to Gregory Szorc, dev-platform
No, filed bug 1244736 to remove it.

--
Ehsan

Daniel Holbert

Feb 7, 2016, 3:06:56 AM2/7/16
to Ehsan Akhgari, dev-platform
We still have documentation on MDN with the old rules:

"The uuid must be changed anytime any part of the
interface or its ancestors are changed"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/XPIDL#Interfaces

Ehsan, could you update that section of the page to reflect the new
state of the world?

Thanks!
~Daniel

Ehsan Akhgari

Feb 7, 2016, 8:59:40 PM2/7/16
to Daniel Holbert, dev-platform
On 2016-02-07 3:06 AM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> We still have documentation on MDN with the old rules:
>
> "The uuid must be changed anytime any part of the
> interface or its ancestors are changed"
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/XPIDL#Interfaces
>
> Ehsan, could you update that section of the page to reflect the new
> state of the world?

Done, thanks for catching it.

Nicholas Nethercote

Feb 7, 2016, 9:50:10 PM2/7/16
to Ehsan Akhgari, dev-platform
Approval requests for release/beta/aurora in Bugzilla still have
"[String/UUID change made/needed]" as one of the points in the checklist,
too. Though maybe we need to wait for this change to reach those branches
before removing that.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (Sending this in another thread in case people didn't see my note at the
> end of the original thread.)
>
> The new rules are in effect for mozilla-central and the repositories that
> merge into it. Revving UUIDs is no longer necessary.
>
> Happy hacking!
>
> --
> Ehsan

Ehsan Akhgari

Feb 7, 2016, 11:00:14 PM2/7/16
to Nicholas Nethercote, dev-platform
On 2016-02-07 9:49 PM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> Approval requests for release/beta/aurora in Bugzilla still have
> "[String/UUID change made/needed]" as one of the points in the
> checklist, too. Though maybe we need to wait for this change to reach
> those branches before removing that.

Yes, this needs to ride the trains on 47. I have also notified the
release management team about this already.