Intent to implement and ship: overflow-wrap: anywhere

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

Nov 8, 2018, 11:18:16 AM11/8/18
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, fantasai, flo...@rivoal.net
properties (which are aliases) which affects min-content sizing.

We tried to make break-word affect min-content sizing (see bug 1472386),
but that was found not to be web-compatible.

See https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2682 for use-cases /
rationale, and related issues for discussion.

This will allow fixing slightly annoying interop issues due to WebKit /
Blink supporting word-break: break-word.

Bug: 1505786

Link to standard:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text/#valdef-overflow-wrap-anywhere

Preference behind which this will be implemented: None (though I can add
one if needed / wanted).

Is this feature enabled by default in sandboxed iframes? Yes

DevTools bug: N/A, it's just a new value for an existing property and
existing devtools features should handle it.

Do other browser engines implement this? No, but WebKit-based browsers
support word-break: break-word, which does the same.

The fact that this lives there is very confusing (see above spec
issues). Ideally they'll follow suit shortly (since implementation is
there already, and everybody agreed that the value belongs in the
overflow-wrap property instead).

web-platform-tests:
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-text/overflow-wrap?q=min-content

(which I'm updating to test the new value as part of this work)

Let me know if there's any concern with doing this.

-- Emilio

flo...@rivoal.net

Nov 8, 2018, 5:14:02 PM11/8/18
I think it's great, please go ahead. I just gave a talk about the various properties/values related to line breaking, and had multiple people tell me they were so sad that overflow-wrap:anywhere wasn't implemented yet. So I totally support implementing/shipping this.
Message has been deleted

idontli...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 10:19:38 AM11/14/18
Finally something what solving problem of missing "word-break: break-word" (https://jsfiddle.net/ofgd83um/80/)