Using MozPhab without Arcanist

Piotr Zalewa

Oct 22, 2019, 11:26:19 AM10/22/19
to firef...@mozilla.org, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

Since today MozPhab does not require Arcanist to submit patches in all
supported VCS's. It's an optional and experimental feature. Add the
`--no-arc` option to switch it on.

Feel free to use it and report any bugs the usual way -
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Conduit&component=moz-phab

Let's all hope not using Arcanist will soon become the default.
--
Piotr Zalewa (zalun)
Mozilla

Mike Conley

Oct 22, 2019, 11:43:30 AM10/22/19
to Piotr Zalewa, Firefox Dev, Mozilla dev-platform mailing list mailing list
This is great, thank you zalun!

moz-phab has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few months. Great
job to you and the team hacking on it - it's a critical part of my toolset.

Henrik Skupin

Oct 23, 2019, 11:50:07 AM10/23/19
Piotr Zalewa wrote on 22.10.19 17:25:

> Since today MozPhab does not require Arcanist to submit patches in all
> supported VCS's. It's an optional and experimental feature. Add the
> `--no-arc` option to switch it on.

Great to hear, but is there also an ETA when this mode will be available
for users of Mercurial? When I use this option I get:

> NotImplementedError: Mercurial revisions can't be submitted without
Arcanist

Thanks

--
Henrik Skupin
Senior Software Engineer

glob

Oct 23, 2019, 11:56:36 AM10/23/19
to Henrik Skupin, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
It's available now - make sure you're running the latest version by
running `moz-phab self-update`.

-glob

--
glob — engineering workflow — moz://a

Emma Humphries

Oct 23, 2019, 4:24:57 PM10/23/19
to dev-platform
Will this make it easier for non-staff contributors to get their change
sets reviewed and landed?

What else should we be doing for that.

I have some ideas I'm working on for views in Bugzilla to help with that so
that contributors can see what's going on, and where they can take action
to help.

-- Emma

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:56 AM glob <gl...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> It's available now - make sure you're running the latest version by
> running `moz-phab self-update`.
>

> -glob
>
> Henrik Skupin wrote on 23/10/19 11:49 pm:
> > Piotr Zalewa wrote on 22.10.19 17:25:
> >
> >> Since today MozPhab does not require Arcanist to submit patches in all
> >> supported VCS's. It's an optional and experimental feature. Add the
> >> `--no-arc` option to switch it on.
> > Great to hear, but is there also an ETA when this mode will be available
> > for users of Mercurial? When I use this option I get:
> >
> >> NotImplementedError: Mercurial revisions can't be submitted without
> > Arcanist
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> --
> glob — engineering workflow — moz://a

Emilio Cobos Álvarez

Oct 23, 2019, 4:30:15 PM10/23/19
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 10/23/19 10:24 PM, Emma Humphries wrote:
> Will this make it easier for non-staff contributors to get their change
> sets reviewed and landed?
>
> What else should we be doing for that.
>
> I have some ideas I'm working on for views in Bugzilla to help with that so
> that contributors can see what's going on, and where they can take action
> to help.

Somewhat unrelatedly, I think the most common issue I see with new
contributors is they failing to set a reviewer. That means that their
patch goes completely unnoticed... In that case not sure what can help,
other than some of us noticing :/

I'm sure this is not a new problem though... That being said, it's a
legit use-case, IMO, to update a WIP patch to phabricator without a
reviewer, for example, to avoid spamming...

Maybe tools like moz-phab could suggest reviewers, or have a warning for
the "no reviewers" case?

-- Emilio

> -- Emma
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:56 AM glob <gl...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> It's available now - make sure you're running the latest version by
>> running `moz-phab self-update`.
>>

>> -glob
>>
>> Henrik Skupin wrote on 23/10/19 11:49 pm:

>>> Great to hear, but is there also an ETA when this mode will be available
>>> for users of Mercurial? When I use this option I get:

>>> Arcanist
>>>
>>> Thanks

Jörg Knobloch

Oct 23, 2019, 4:35:47 PM10/23/19
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 23 Oct 2019 22:24, Emma Humphries wrote:
> Will this make it easier for non-staff contributors to get their change
> sets reviewed and landed?
>
> What else should we be doing for that.
>
> I have some ideas I'm working on for views in Bugzilla to help with that so
> that contributors can see what's going on, and where they can take action
> to help.

Greetings from the Thunderbird sheriff!

Just for the record: I'm using the Mercurial extensions 'hg phabsend'
and 'hg phabread' as first described in Kris' post entitled "Re: Stopgap
for Commit Series in Phabricator" on 26th July 2018 (yes, one - eight).

That takes three minutes to set up and will work on any platform, also
on Windows, where setting up Arcanist is apparently a 12-step
process[1]. I don't know why these excellent extensions are not
advertised more widely. Thanks to Ian Moody [:KWan] who pointed them out
to me.

'hg phabsend' will complain if the reviewer isn't spelled correctly, I
haven't tried without reviewer.

Jörg.

[1] https://moz-conduit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arcanist-windows.html

Jeff Gilbert

Oct 23, 2019, 5:00:23 PM10/23/19
to Jörg Knobloch, dev-platform
Likewise I use `phlay` on git.

Henrik Skupin

Oct 24, 2019, 6:13:36 AM10/24/19
to glob, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
glob wrote on 23.10.19 17:56:

> It's available now - make sure you're running the latest version by
> running `moz-phab self-update`.

That's what I did yesterday, but as it looks like the self-update
actually didn't update my version to the latest MozPhab-0.1.55. I will
check soon with this version. Thanks!

Henrik

Axel Hecht

Oct 24, 2019, 6:50:57 AM10/24/19
Am 24.10.19 um 12:13 schrieb Henrik Skupin:
You need to run self-update twice to move over to the pip version.

Also, make sure to not run it while in a virtualenv like I did.
Otherwise you end up uninstalling and installing it from scratch ;-)

Axel

Andreas Tolfsen

Oct 24, 2019, 6:51:01 AM10/24/19
to Emilio Cobos Álvarez, Emma Humphries, dev-platform
Emilio and Emma brings up an important barrier to outside contribution
here.

Also sprach Emilio Cobos Álvarez:

> On 10/23/19 10:24 PM, Emma Humphries wrote:
>> Will this make it easier for non-staff contributors to get their change
>> sets reviewed and landed?
>> What else should we be doing for that.
>> I have some ideas I'm working on for views in Bugzilla to help with that so
>> that contributors can see what's going on, and where they can take action
>> to help.
>
> Somewhat unrelatedly, I think the most common issue I see with new
> contributors is they failing to set a reviewer. That means that
> their patch goes completely unnoticed... In that case not sure what
> can help, other than some of us noticing :/
>
> I'm sure this is not a new problem though... That being said, it's
> a legit use-case, IMO, to update a WIP patch to phabricator without
> a reviewer, for example, to avoid spamming...
>
> Maybe tools like moz-phab could suggest reviewers, or have a warning
> for the "no reviewers" case?

Patches submitted without reviewers has indeed been a recurring
problem since long before Phabricator. I wonder, though, if we
could leverage Phabricator and the seeming convergence towards
review groups (or “shared review queues”) to improve the situation.

In the run-up to moving from MozReview to Phabricator, we had the
exact same discussion on this list about what problems outside
contributors face. Not knowing to flag reviewers or not knowing
who to ask for review, and as a consequence our failure to respond
in a timely manner, is at least in my experience one of the reasons
that turn contributors away.

With Herald, Phabricator has quite a powerful system for filtering
and taking action on incoming diffs. This is currently restricted
to personal use, so I can for example only add myself individually
as reviewer.

Over the last year many components have started using review groups,
e.g. hash tags such as “r=#remote-protocol-reviewers” and
“r=firefox-build-system-reviewers” to spread the review load more
evenly. This makes Phabricator diffs turn up in the review queue
for everyone who’s a member of that group. In the modules I’m owner
of, this has been an unreserved success.

Would it be possible to set up a “global” rule in Phabricator so
that a review group could always be added as reviewer based on a
filtering rule?

If this is possible it would make a decisively better first-time
experience than being told to “go read the commit log and find out
who touched the code last”, as I were told when I started contributing
seven years ago.

Dan Mosedale

Oct 24, 2019, 9:24:33 AM10/24/19
to Axel Hecht, dev-platform
Also, if you did the double self-update to move over to pip while
running under pyenv, moz-phab may suddenly disappear from your path
until you restart your shell.

Dan