Support for VP9

Chris Double

Jun 17, 2013, 7:04:33 PM6/17/13
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
I think we should support the VP9 video code. It has recently been
added to Chromium [1]. According to the media it will be rolled out to
YouTube. It's added to WebM [2]. If we don't support it we'll be stuck
in a world where we support 'WebM' but don't play the majority of
'WebM' files in the wild (YouTube). While we wait for Daala to become
viable we need to support the best open source, royalty free, video
codec we can and it's looking like VP9 will be that.

Bug 833023 [3] was opened for implementing VP9 in Firefox and I think
we should proceed. Are there any objections?

[1] http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/06/17/google-finishes-defining-its-vp9-video-codec-adds-it-to-chromium-ahead-of-chrome-and-youtube-rollout/
[2] http://blog.webmproject.org/2013/05/vp9-codec-nears-completion.html
[3] http://xiph.org/daala/

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz

Robert O'Callahan

Jun 17, 2013, 7:08:54 PM6/17/13
to Chris Double, mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Chris Double <chris....@double.co.nz>wrote:

> I think we should support the VP9 video code. It has recently been
> added to Chromium [1]. According to the media it will be rolled out to
> YouTube. It's added to WebM [2].

I think we should support it. However, there's a question of whether we
should push Google to mint a "WebM2" format instead of shoving the new
codecs into WebM. We had an agreed goal for WebM to be a fixed set of
codecs, to avoid the sort of confusion we have over what support for 3GP or
MP4 means ... it's disappointing to break that at (nearly) the first
opportunity.

Rob
--
Jtehsauts tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy Mdaon yhoaus eanuttehrotraiitny eovni le
atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o Whhei csha iids teoa

Jean-Marc Valin

Jun 17, 2013, 7:40:08 PM6/17/13
to rob...@ocallahan.org, mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org, Chris Double

Robert O'Callahan

Jun 17, 2013, 7:56:06 PM6/17/13
to Jean-Marc Valin, mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org, Chris Double
Definitely, whatever we do with the container there's no point in using VP9
with anything other than Opus.

Henri Sivonen

Jun 18, 2013, 2:16:16 AM6/18/13
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I think we should support it. However, there's a question of whether we
> should push Google to mint a "WebM2" format instead of shoving the new
> codecs into WebM.

(Metooing here.)

I think we should push for WebM (.webm) referring exclusively to
Matroska/VP8/Vorbis and WebM2 (.webm2) referring exclusively to
Matroska/VP9/Opus. (If there's a use case for recording WebRTC calls
with VP8 and Opus, Matroska/VP8/Opus could be called .webrtc.)

There indeed is value in having a fixed mix of codecs per name that
people see, and it's quite sad if Google is abandoning the plan to
have a clear meaning for "WebM" at the first opportunity.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsiv...@hsivonen.fi