[BC] Weekly status (Feb 26, 2016)

John Whitlock

Feb 26, 2016, 12:40:08 PM2/26/16
to dev-mdn, Jeremie Patonnier
This is a weekly summary of my work on the BrowserCompat (BC) project. The
project's purpose is to serve feature compatibility information across
multiple outlets and formats without data duplication. For more
information, see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/MDN/Projects/Development/CompatibilityTables.

Here's last week's status email, which I reposted today:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.mdn/sDteAHEtlDE

The goal of current development is a basic contribution and moderation
(C&M) interface. My current work toward that goal is making some needed API
schema changes before the C&M gets too used to the old, broken schema, and
to unblock MDN page conversion.

A few PRs were merged:

* PR 110 - Redirect to slashless API URLs (fix bug 1250976)
* PR 111 - Prepare database for (bug 1216786)
* PR 112 - Add References (bug 1216786)
* PR 113 - Cleanup transition to references (fix bug 1216786)

The work on bug 1216786 was split into 3 PRs. This is standard for database
schema changes, where migrations need to be run on the server before code
is deployed that uses the changed database. You'll see this pattern for the
next few weeks.

Next week, I plan to do some small changes, to reduce the inbox before
working on the big UUID work:

* bug 1246967 - Add a UUID to the page API
* bug 1195467 - A version should be unique for a browser
* bug 1242613 - /api should link to /api/v1 and /api/v2
* bug 1251252 - Allow empty Section names

Here's the MDN Conversion Status (vs last week's numbers):

6115 pages scanned in 172 minutes (6101 in 164 min)
1952 have no compatibility data (1960)
7 have errors preventing complete scanning (8)
763 have significant data errors (756)
181 have data warnings (177)
3212 have no warnings or errors (3200)

20 pages have been converted to display API compatibility data (conversion
is on hold until API updates are in place)

Part of the work for bug 1216786 was clearing the MDN imports. 507 pages
were not imported by the rescan process. I've added a list to the existing
bug 1242606. This probably won't get fixed until the UUID changes are
merged, and the tools are updated to use it.

If you have questions, please ask them here. If you want daily status,
look for it in the #mdndev IRC room.

John Whitlock
jwhitlock in #mdndev IRC channel

Stephanie Hobson

Feb 26, 2016, 6:43:37 PM2/26/16
to John Whitlock, dev-mdn, Jeremie Patonnier
This week:
- pushed a browsers and versions display and edit to the repo, all editing
forms work locally but error when they try to save to the API because auth
isn't working
- watched a bunch of Ember videos
- signed up for Ember conf
- signed up for local Ember meetup. (I will be skipping one evening of a
course I have paid for to attend this meetup.)

Next Week:
- I can't make any more progress without mentorship. The kindness of
strangers is not enough. I'll talk to Lonnen on Monday.

Stephanie.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:39 AM, John Whitlock <jwhi...@mozilla.com>