Thank you Dmitriy, Erin, and Jeff!

John Whitlock

Aug 23, 2016, 10:04:31 AM8/23/16
to dev-mdn
Today is the last day of some important contributors to MDN development.
Dmitriy Chukhin, Erin Mullaney, and Jeff Bradberry work for Caktus
Consulting Group, and their contract ends today.

When Dmitry and Erin joined in April, MDN development was in chaos. An
automated spam attack required closing MDN to new contributors, and
cancelling other projects to focus our efforts. We were also getting used
to Mozilla Marketing and the new MDN durable team structure. By the time
Jeff Bradberry joined in June, we had sign-ups open again, but we were
still working out the kinks in our process.

Erin, Dmitriy, and Jeff handled this chaos with professionalism and skill.
They worked through setting up a development environment, hit many
roadblocks, got past them, made some fixes and documented the process.
Their work gave our development environment a few more months of
usefulness, and encouraged more volunteers to get started.

The work started small, as they became familiar with the Kuma development
process, and with working on a quirky, localized website. They took
feedback with grace, rewriting code and adding tests to get it to a higher
standard than what was already there. The progress must have felt so slow,
but the features added to MDN are huge:

* Improved the revision dashboard, including a“Known Authors” filter and
faster spam identification
* Dropped fields from the profile that were targets for abuse
* Identified spam targets in the code and removed them from search engines
* Implemented the “One-Click Ban Hammer”, to combine several spam
moderation steps into a single tool
* Added a spam moderators dashboard, integrating page view data from Google
Analytics
* Fixed several editing annoyances
* Identified the root cause of the duplicate tag bug
* Added the “All Topics” filter, making full-site search possible again

Too much of this work will only be seen by MDN administrators, but these
tools mean we can keep the site open to contributors and translators, for
the benefit of all developers using MDN for research and learning.

If you are in the #mdndev IRC channel today, say thank you to dchukhin,
emullaney, and jeffbradberry. And if you need some awesome Python
development, talk to Caktus.

John Whitlock
MDN

Kadir Topal

Aug 23, 2016, 10:09:31 AM8/23/16
to John Whitlock, dev-mdn
Thanks a lot for all the work, Dmitry, Erin and Jeff! MDN is so much more awesome today than when you started :)

—Kadir

Sebastian Zartner

Aug 24, 2016, 5:42:05 PM8/24/16
to Kadir Topal, John Whitlock, dev-mdn
Thank you Dmitry, Erin and Jeff, especially for the last two points of
John's list!

Sebastian