[Learning Area] Time to write :D

Jeremie Patonnier

Apr 7, 2014, 11:03:57 AM4/7/14
to dev-mdc
Hello everybody :)

At last, the learning area project has move to something concrete in terms
of writing.

So the first writing effort will be done on the glossary. In order to make
MDN more beginner friendly, we need to explain the whole web lingo and it's
the purpose of our glossary.

Now is the time to help if you wish. To do this, you can do the following:

1. *Add terms to the glossary.*
This is very easy, go to
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary edit the page and add
a new term using the
{{Glossary}}<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Template:Glossary>macro

2. *Write terms definition*
Any terms in red need to be define. A term definition is a single page
with 3 mandatory sections: A summary which quickly define the term, an "In
depth" section that provide details and context for the term and a "Know
more" section which provide links to dig deeper. As an example, see the
JavaScript <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/JavaScript>and
Browser <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Browser>terms
definition.
Remind that the content of those pages MUST NOT be technical. Assume
that people who will read it (almost) never heard about the web. Use simple
words, link the jargon using the {{Glossary}} macro and make short and
simple sentences.

3. *Tag, Review and improve*
There are so many terms to define, if you have little time, take some
times to review the terms definition, perform some copyedit, add new links
to good resources, etc. Even a small edit is helpful, do not hesitate :)

We also wish to start using the Web Literacy
Map<https://webmaker.org/literacy> to
tag our content. Browse through the terms definition (and any other MDN
content if you wish) and tag the page with the tags define by the Web
Literacy Map: http://goo.gl/vpxkP1

4. *Link the glossary*
Finally, if you find any MDN content that use one of the terms define in
our glossary, do not hesitate to use the {{Glossary}} macro to link that
terms to its definition when appropriate (do not link blindly) :)

Thank you all for your help

Do not hesitate to ping me if you have any question :)
Best,
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net