[Glossary] Links guidelines

klez

Aug 25, 2015, 4:09:42 PM8/25/15
to dev-mdc

Sebastian Zartner

Aug 25, 2015, 5:56:13 PM8/25/15
to klez, dev-mdc

> * When the entry is about a project (e.g. WebKit)
> * <a href="http://....">WebKit official page</a>
> or similar wording but same structure, that is, whole phrase as a link

I agree.

> * When we are linking to an external reference (Wikipedia, OWASP, etc.)
> * <a href="http://.....">WebKit</a> on Wikipedia
> which is consistent with what we have done so far

I'd still link the whole phrase. In the example above you are referring to
the Wikipedia page describing WebKit, so 'on Wikipedia should be part of
the link.
Generally I believe the <a> tags should enclose all parts of text referring
to the linked page.

> * When the link is internal to MDN (e.g., the Hyperlink entry has
> links to the <a> and <link> elements reference)... I have to admit I'm
> a little bit torn about this. In the given example I see
> * <a href="http://...">&lt;a&gt; on MDN</a>
> which may be good. But I'd prefer something like
> * <a href="http://...">&lt;a&gt; reference</a>
> where "reference" can be substituted with "tutorial" or "guide" as needed.

Related question: Should macros be used instead of HTML tags? E.g. in this
case {{HTMLElement("a")}}.
Personally I don't have a preference, just wanted to throw this question in.

Besides that, I also slightly prefer 'reference' over 'on MDN'.

Sebastian

Eric Shepherd

Aug 31, 2015, 3:29:05 PM8/31/15
to klez, dev-mdc
klez wrote:
> * When the entry is about a project (e.g. WebKit)
> * <a href="http://....">WebKit official page</a>
> or similar wording but same structure, that is, whole phrase as a link
Agreed. That is the way it should be done. <a
href="http://external.link">Official WebKit documentation</a> (or
similar; the point is, all text inside the link).
> * When we are linking to an external reference (Wikipedia, OWASP, etc.)
> * <a href="http://.....">WebKit</a> on Wikipedia
> which is consistent with what we have done so far
Here I would amend this slightly:

For links to a definition of a term on another site (such as linking to
the "WebKit" article on MDN, I'd do it just like you do above; the fact
that it's on another site is incidental and not particularly important
to the reader. For instance: "

On the other hand, if the link's purpose is to provide an authoritative
explanation or overview or specification, then including the name of the
destination in the link makes sense to me, as in: "For details, see <a
href='https://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glLineWidth.xml'><code>glLineWidth()</code>
in the OpenGL ES specification</a>." In this case, making it clear that
the target of the link is authoritative rather than simply a
possibly-interesting page is accomplished by including the name of the
target site.
> * When the link is internal to MDN (e.g., the Hyperlink entry has
> links to the <a> and <link> elements reference)... I have to admit I'm
> a little bit torn about this. In the given example I see
> * <a href="http://...">&lt;a&gt; on MDN</a>
> which may be good. But I'd prefer something like
> * <a href="http://...">&lt;a&gt; reference</a>
> where "reference" can be substituted with "tutorial" or "guide" as needed.
There should never be "on MDN" in links which are internal to MDN. It's
just not necessary. I agree with you entirely here; these links should
always be either simply "<a href='/en-US/docs/Web/HTML'>HTML</a>" or "<a
href='/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element'>HTML element reference</a>.

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer