Glossary entries length

klez

Jan 20, 2015, 1:56:18 PM1/20/15
to dev...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,
There was a discussion at the end of last year about the Glossary
entries length.

We decided that they should be shorter.

Today, at the Learning Area meeting there was a bit of disagreement of
what "shorter" actually meant.

On one side, some think this articles is the right length:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Attribute

On the other side, some thins this is a happy mean:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Argument$revision/657727

So we decided to let the community at large have their say about the
matter. We should try to reach a consensus about this, as the soft
launch is coming at the end of the month.

In both cases, anyway, we seem to agree that the first two sentences
should be short, to the point but well explained, as they'll appear in
popups when someone hovers on a term in an MDN article.

Let's hear the community's opinion on this :)

Thanks
klez

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 20, 2015, 4:03:39 PM1/20/15
to klez, MDC Mailinglist
I am for a little more detailed description in case there is more to
say about a topic. So a glossary entry should always consist of a
summary, an optional more detailed description and some reference
links.
Also I believe the headings of the entries should be unified as far as
possible, e.g. 'Summary', 'In depth' and 'See also'.

Though the length of the second example should be the maximum and
further information should referred to in the related links.

Sebastian

Jeremie Patonnier

Jan 20, 2015, 5:01:32 PM1/20/15
to Sebastian Zartner, MDC Mailinglist, klez
Hi!

At a very personal level I really like that kind of glossary entry:

- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/SVG

Short but not to much, very good first paragraph that describe the term
well, and some extra information after that when it's necessary. And
obviously, links for further details.

My 2ct
Jeremie
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net

Mark Giffin

Jan 20, 2015, 5:24:50 PM1/20/15
to Sebastian Zartner, MDC Mailinglist
I am mainly happy that we have a nice glossary now with people working
on it. I'm a glossary fan. I am interested in having glossary entries
that are accurate. If they can be short and accurate, great.

Mark